Upgrade date pushed back

Tutor

Upgrade date pushed back

Hi, I got a Pantech Link 2 phone back in August 2012. Around May 15 2013, I purchased a used iPhone 4 from a relative. I went to the AT&T store and they switched the phones around. When they printed out the sheet, it said I was due for an upgrade on March 14, 2014. Just checking now, They have pushed my upgrade back to August 14, 2014. Why? Technically, I bought a no-contract phone and just added the data plan. I should still have the same upgrade date, right? Can someone shed some light on why this is? Thanks.

Message 1 of 9 (1,070 Views)
Expert

Re: Upgrade date pushed back

[ Edited ]

cmbutel wrote:

Hi, I got a Pantech Link 2 phone back in August 2012. Around May 15 2013, I purchased a used iPhone 4 from a relative. I went to the AT&T store and they switched the phones around. When they printed out the sheet, it said I was due for an upgrade on March 14, 2014. Just checking now, They have pushed my upgrade back to August 14, 2014. Why? Technically, I bought a no-contract phone and just added the data plan. I should still have the same upgrade date, right? Can someone shed some light on why this is? Thanks.

about 3 or 4 months ago the upgrade policy changed, if you contract ended on or before the last day of feburary 2014 it stayed at the 20 month upgrade period, If it ends after the last day of feburary it was moved to the new policy of 24 months.

If you entered the service with a no contract phone - aka paid full retail price for it or brought your own device you should not be under contract. Who did you buy your phone from and how much did you pay?

Message 2 of 9 (1,064 Views)
Tutor

I bought the phone from a relative, as said in the OP. I paid 100 dollars for it, although I don't see how that is relative.

Message 3 of 9 (1,056 Views)
Tutor

wingrider01 wrote:

cmbutel wrote:

about 3 or 4 months ago the upgrade policy changed, if you contract ended on or before the last day of feburary 2014 it stayed at the 20 month upgrade period, If it ends after the last day of feburary it was moved to the new policy of 24 months.

If you entered the service with a no contract phone - aka paid full retail price for it or brought your own device you should not be under contract. Who did you buy your phone from and how much did you pay?

I bought the phone from a relative, as said in the OP. I paid 100 dollars for it, although I don't see how that is relative.

Message 4 of 9 (1,021 Views)
Professor

You are still fulfilling the contract for the Pantech phone, even though you aren't using it. As Wingrider said, AT&T pushed back the upgrade dates from 20 months to the full 24 months if your original upgrade date ended after 2/2014. Your upgrade was 3/2014, so it got moved to 7/2014.
Message 5 of 9 (986 Views)
Expert

cmbutel wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

cmbutel wrote:

what is relative is if the device was a BYOD and it wsa not subsidized by the carrier there should be no contract

Message 6 of 9 (976 Views)
Professor

The OP clearly said that he bought a Pantech in August 2012 and he mentioned upgrade dates consistent with a 2 year contract from that date. Fully reading the original post, I didn't get that this was a case of BYOD.
Message 7 of 9 (967 Views)
ACE - Expert

The OP bought the Pantech as an upgrade and THEN bought an iPhone from a relative as a BYOD, therefore the contract and the contract dates.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 9 (956 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

kdfederer wrote:
The OP bought the Pantech as an upgrade and THEN bought an iPhone from a relative as a BYOD, therefore the contract and the contract dates.

Missed that, sorry

Message 9 of 9 (928 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.