Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 14, 2013
9:05:48 AM
View profile
Upgrade change

Just wondering why AT&T changesd upgrade eligibility from 20 months to 24 months with no grandfather clause...we were needing to get another plan in Oct...newly retired and wanting to get off the Internet plans...now it looks like Feb or March so we are paying an extra $20 a month for features we don't need...

Just wondering why AT&T changesd upgrade eligibility from 20 months to 24 months with no grandfather clause...we were needing to get another plan in Oct...newly retired and wanting to get off the Internet plans...now it looks like Feb or March so we are paying an extra $20 a month for features we don't need...

Upgrade change

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 10:44:34 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Aug 14, 2013 at 10:47:34 AM

babesmom wrote:

if you are talking about changing service plans you don;t need to wait the 24 months, if you are talking about switching phones to ones that do not need a data plan, again you can replace your phone with a att gohpone that does not require a data plan without waiting for your upgrade date.

Itwas also grandfathered - if you contract end was before Mar 01,2014 your upgrade date stayed the same, if after march 01,2014 it changed to 24 months, so

02/28/2014 = 20 month upgrade

03/01/2014 = 24 month upgrade

babesmom wrote:

if you are talking about changing service plans you don;t need to wait the 24 months, if you are talking about switching phones to ones that do not need a data plan, again you can replace your phone with a att gohpone that does not require a data plan without waiting for your upgrade date.

Itwas also grandfathered - if you contract end was before Mar 01,2014 your upgrade date stayed the same, if after march 01,2014 it changed to 24 months, so

02/28/2014 = 20 month upgrade

03/01/2014 = 24 month upgrade

Re: Upgrade change

[ Edited ]
2 of 6 (478 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 10:45:50 AM
(0)
Employee
Some people are grandfathered. This change affects customers whose current wireless agreements expire on or after March 1, 2014. One option to get off the data plans would be to buy a gophone but not a smartphone. You don't have to set up the gophone account and can keep your current plan & number. Just buy the phone and swape your sim cards. Call customer care to update the phones and remove data plans. Or just call cust care and see if there is other changes that can be made to save money.
Some people are grandfathered. This change affects customers whose current wireless agreements expire on or after March 1, 2014. One option to get off the data plans would be to buy a gophone but not a smartphone. You don't have to set up the gophone account and can keep your current plan & number. Just buy the phone and swape your sim cards. Call customer care to update the phones and remove data plans. Or just call cust care and see if there is other changes that can be made to save money.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 6 (476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 11:12:11 AM
(0)
Contributor
Our contract was in March and I have been told we can switch in Oct until recently now its March 2014
Our problem is we have an Android no Sim card...
Customer service supervisor even told me we it would not be cheaper to go get another phone as we would have to add to our plan
Right now we are paying for 300 mg data...using 19 with no texting...
Our contract was in March and I have been told we can switch in Oct until recently now its March 2014
Customer service supervisor even told me we it would not be cheaper to go get another phone as we would have to add to our plan

4 of 6 (464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 11:14:42 AM
(0)
Contributor
That's 300 mb we are paying for...using 19
That's 300 mb we are paying for...using 19

5 of 6 (461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 4:42:34 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Aug 14, 2013 at 4:46:21 PM

babesmom wrote:

Not sure who you talked to but you can buy a basic phone and swap the sim card. ATT's phones all use sim cards, if the phone you are moving to has a different size sim you can go into a corporate store and the majority of time they will give you a new sim card.

Just did it with my mother-in-law, she dropped her smartphone in a portapotty, no way anyone was going after that, she decided to go back to a basic, bought her a GoPhone Z431 for 29.99, a new sim from the local corporate store and popped in in, called and canceled the data plan

Sounds like you orignal contract was March 2012, unfortunately you are past the Fed 28,2014 cutoff date and it got moved up. Your upgrade date should have been November 2013, but it missed the cutoff date 

Now all bets are off if you got your phone through a authorized retailer like costco, walmart, amazon or the such, they can and almost always do have a added requirement that if you changed devices or alter service you incurr additional charges

babesmom wrote:

Not sure who you talked to but you can buy a basic phone and swap the sim card. ATT's phones all use sim cards, if the phone you are moving to has a different size sim you can go into a corporate store and the majority of time they will give you a new sim card.

Just did it with my mother-in-law, she dropped her smartphone in a portapotty, no way anyone was going after that, she decided to go back to a basic, bought her a GoPhone Z431 for 29.99, a new sim from the local corporate store and popped in in, called and canceled the data plan

Sounds like you orignal contract was March 2012, unfortunately you are past the Fed 28,2014 cutoff date and it got moved up. Your upgrade date should have been November 2013, but it missed the cutoff date 

Now all bets are off if you got your phone through a authorized retailer like costco, walmart, amazon or the such, they can and almost always do have a added requirement that if you changed devices or alter service you incurr additional charges

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (417 Views)