Upgrade by canceling?

Teacher

Upgrade by canceling?

ok obviously the new iphone is coming soon.....

I have multiple phones on my plan.

AT&T has discontinued the "early upgrade" IE: when your phone is less than 2 years old, where you would pay $450 for a new iphone (instead of $200). now you have to wait the full 2 years for the $200 upgrade.

HOWEVER.. i notice on my iphone 5, i have had it for 12 months.

If i terminate the line (pay the termination fee of $325 - (12 months X $10) = $205), can i then get a new iphone for $200 on a new 2 year contract and keep that old number?

so my cost would be $200 for new phone, plus $205 for cancellation = $405). and then signon for another 2 year contract?

in effect, its the same as the old early termination (in fact better, its alittle cheaper).

This would also appear to be a better deal than their "Next" plan, just upgrade/cancel every year.

Message 1 of 36 (2,290 Views)
Employee

Re: Upgrade by canceling?

Let me do some research for you into this.

I will give you a definate answer tomorrow on Early Upgrading.

In the mean time, feel free to reach our to AT&TCustomerCare who can always give you current up to date information.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 16 of 36 (2,031 Views)
Teacher

thanks.

Ask the question:

"If a customer wants to cancel a line and pay the termination fee, can they then add a new line to their account and port that cancelled number over to it?"

if the answer is yes, then that means a customer can get a new phone every year for about $400. which is a much better deal than the "next" program. especially since 1 year old technology, like the iphone 5, sells for $500+ on ebay.

if the answer is no, then:

"Can a customer cancel a number and port the number to a differnet carrier, then add a new line to the account and port then old number from the new carrier back?"

that would be the same net effect as the first question, just a more round-a-bout way of getting there as you would have to xfer the number out of the network and then back in. (This is possible, as most carriers give you 30 days to bring a phone back and cancel the contract, plus you could do it with a cheap old-fashion phone)

Message 17 of 36 (2,022 Views)
ACE - Expert

If a customer cancels a line and pays the termination fee, they lose their number and if they try to add a new line to their account, AT&T will reinstate the old contract and number, so you CAN'T do that.
If you cancel a line, you have to wait, I believe 90 days, before opening a new account, otherwise they will reinstate the old contract.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 36 (1,954 Views)
Expert

delphipgmr wrote:

and another thing

if you cancel a number, and assuming your bill is up to date and you pay the cancellation fee, you still legally own the number, you can transfer it to another carrier if you want.  happens all the time when people change carriers.

so why cant you cancel a line, add a new one and port the number?

remember you are allowed up to 10 devices on a plan, i have 7.

wrong, if you cancel the line the number is lost you do not "legally" own that number, there is only one way to cancel the line and retain the number that is by doing a port to another carrier. The port has to be iniated by the target carrier AND the line still have to be active on the previous carrier, when the port is complete the target carrier will cancel the line for you and the number will be on the target carriers books. At that time the previous carrier will bill you for the final non-prorated bill, the etf and any other upaid charges.

The above is well documented on the FCC's website and as far as 10 devices on a plan, then you are tlaking about a mobile share plan, it is the only one that allows that many devices, a standard family plan will only have a maximum of 5 devices.

Message 19 of 36 (1,882 Views)
Expert

delphipgmr wrote:

thanks.

Ask the question:

"If a customer wants to cancel a line and pay the termination fee, can they then add a new line to their account and port that cancelled number over to it?"

if the answer is yes, then that means a customer can get a new phone every year for about $400. which is a much better deal than the "next" program. especially since 1 year old technology, like the iphone 5, sells for $500+ on ebay.

if the answer is no, then:

"Can a customer cancel a number and port the number to a differnet carrier, then add a new line to the account and port then old number from the new carrier back?"

that would be the same net effect as the first question, just a more round-a-bout way of getting there as you would have to xfer the number out of the network and then back in. (This is possible, as most carriers give you 30 days to bring a phone back and cancel the contract, plus you could do it with a cheap old-fashion phone)

Another point on your comment - the buyers remorse is now 14 days, it was changed about a year ago

the answer is no, you cannot cancel a mumber then port it, the port has to orignate with the target carrier, once the port is complete the source carrier contract is terminated abd final billing + etf. Not sure if there is a cooling off period for a port or not, this is not documented on the FCC's website that I could find, it maybe carrier specific.

Message 20 of 36 (1,878 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

delphipgmr wrote:

no you didnt offend me.

Im just curious if you're saying that there is some policy that says you cant move a number to another carrier, pay the cancellation fee, and then port it back to another valid AT&T line when you create it?

(or have AT&T's retention dept just do it in the first place).

But if you move the number to another carrier, then port the number back, wouldn't you have to cancel service with the other carrier? 

Unless the temporary other carrier is a prepaid service? Can't we add an additional line onto the contract, using an older phone that doesn't have contractual obligations, for the purpose of keeping the number, instead of porting out and in?

I didn't quite understand what was meant by "reinstate the old contract". Please would anyone explain that part? Thank you! Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 36 (1,879 Views)
Expert

bluemustang wrote:

delphipgmr wrote:

no you didnt offend me.

Im just curious if you're saying that there is some policy that says you cant move a number to another carrier, pay the cancellation fee, and then port it back to another valid AT&T line when you create it?

(or have AT&T's retention dept just do it in the first place).

But if you move the number to another carrier, then port the number back, wouldn't you have to cancel service with the other carrier? 

Unless the temporary other carrier is a prepaid service? Can't we add an additional line onto the contract, using an older phone that doesn't have contractual obligations, for the purpose of keeping the number, instead of porting out and in?

I didn't quite understand what was meant by "reinstate the old contract". Please would anyone explain that part? Thank you! Smiley Happy

1. yes you would, most carriers buyers remorse is now only 14 days, after that you owe the etf

2. you can add the additional line, true, then use that as a upgrade for the line you wanted to upgrade. Put a 30.00 att gophone on the new line and throw it in the drawer - you are still liable for two years and the etf would be calculated off the phone that originally started the line - for a iphone that is 325.00 - (10.00 * number of completed billing cycles)

3. there is a specifc period of time that if you decide to port back to the original carrier you previous contract would be reinstated and the etf refunded

One thing to understand, all carriers have taken this senario into account and have built stop gaps and preventative measures into it so that it cannot happen. what ever someone has come up with the carrier has also and taken it into account

Message 22 of 36 (1,869 Views)

This practice is called "phantom churn", and if not exactly forbidden it's also not exactly kosher.

There's a difference between canceling a line and terminating it by porting it to another carrier, as has been explained. If I'm not mistaken, you can't cancel 1 line, start another line, and keep that same number. The only way to do that is to move the line to another carrier, and then port it back.

delphipgmr wrote:

i dont think that is true, i have terminated lines before and added a new one the same day.

I have 7 lines on my account, if i cancel one, its not like they are going to say "Nope, you cant add any new lines! we dont want your money!"

just a matter of if they will let you cancel the contract without cancelling the line, which i cant imagine they wouldnt want to.

and the other poster is right, it is $36, i forget because i usually get it waived (I've been an AT&T/Cingular customer for 28 consecutive years, so they usually waive it for me).  Ive been a customer since before even cingular existed (when it was the Ma-Bells), so they have done weird things for me in the past.

Message 23 of 36 (1,699 Views)
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

2. you can add the additional line, true, then use that as a upgrade for the line you wanted to upgrade. Put a 30.00 att gophone on the new line and throw it in the drawer - you are still liable for two years and the etf would be calculated off the phone that originally started the line - for a iphone that is 325.00 - (10.00 * number of completed billing cycles)

For those who "must have the latest device", the second line option is about the cheapest way to get the newest iPhone every year at the upgrade pricing.  Start with a family plan that only has your iPhone.  The 2nd year, add a line with the newest iPhone, then swap and put the iPhone on the main line and put a cheap flip-phone on the line so it only costs the $10/month extra.  Now every year one of your 2 lines will be available to upgrade and you can use that line to get teh upgrade cost and swap the newest iPhone to the primary line and keep the cheap flip phone on the secondary line.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 24 of 36 (1,659 Views)
Expert

GeekBoy wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

For those who "must have the latest device", the second line option is about the cheapest way to get the newest iPhone every year at the upgrade pricing.  Start with a family plan that only has your iPhone.  The 2nd year, add a line with the newest iPhone, then swap and put the iPhone on the main line and put a cheap flip-phone on the line so it only costs the $10/month extra.  Now every year one of your 2 lines will be available to upgrade and you can use that line to get teh upgrade cost and swap the newest iPhone to the primary line and keep the cheap flip phone on the secondary line.

or just bite the bullet and switch the the next plan.

Message 25 of 36 (1,654 Views)
Teacher

With the iPhone 5S being announced today and AT&T's loss of the upgrade pricing, it seems the best way to get the new iPhone is to jumkp carriers and pay the ETF.

$205 ETF

$400 New phone (64GB iPhone 5S)

$605 on a new carrier vs $850 on AT&T.

For my wife and I, two ne wphones on AT&T would be $1700 out of pocket vs. $1200 with another carrier.

Message 26 of 36 (1,590 Views)
Teacher

actually, after seeing the iphone 5s features, i am not going to bother upgrading.

really.. the only things new are:

1) finger scanner - i dont lock my phone, i work at home, theft isnt a concern.

2) faster CPU - so? its not like the iphone 5 isnt fast enough.

3) better camera - Im not one of those people who take pictures of every meal and post it in instagram!

really, for those of us over 35 years of age, does any of those new features justify giving up an upgrade?

ill just wait until next year.

one of my kids still has an old iphone4 and wants an upgrade, so i might do her line, but the rest, forget it.

Message 27 of 36 (1,576 Views)
Expert

Aybara wrote:

With the iPhone 5S being announced today and AT&T's loss of the upgrade pricing, it seems the best way to get the new iPhone is to jumkp carriers and pay the ETF.

$205 ETF

$400 New phone (64GB iPhone 5S)

$605 on a new carrier vs $850 on AT&T.

For my wife and I, two ne wphones on AT&T would be $1700 out of pocket vs. $1200 with another carrier.

if you want to upgrade every release of the iphone and you are determined to switch carriers then take advantage of their no contract no subsidized pricing plans that are starting to pop up

Message 28 of 36 (1,568 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

delphipgmr wrote:

actually, after seeing the iphone 5s features, i am not going to bother upgrading.

really.. the only things new are:

1) finger scanner - i dont lock my phone, i work at home, theft isnt a concern.

2) faster CPU - so? its not like the iphone 5 isnt fast enough.

3) better camera - Im not one of those people who take pictures of every meal and post it in instagram!

really, for those of us over 35 years of age, does any of those new features justify giving up an upgrade?

ill just wait until next year.

one of my kids still has an old iphone4 and wants an upgrade, so i might do her line, but the rest, forget it.

Bless you!  Can you clone yourself so that I don't have to be rude to my friends when I go out to dinner?  I refuse to wait for someone to take a picture of my food before I start eating it.

Message 29 of 36 (1,560 Views)
Teacher

Those plans are all horribly horribly thought out.  T-Mobile's is the least offensive of them all, and it is still a bad deal.

Message 30 of 36 (1,558 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.