Helpful Links

Upgrade by canceling?

Teacher

Upgrade by canceling?

ok obviously the new iphone is coming soon.....

I have multiple phones on my plan.

AT&T has discontinued the "early upgrade" IE: when your phone is less than 2 years old, where you would pay $450 for a new iphone (instead of $200). now you have to wait the full 2 years for the $200 upgrade.

HOWEVER.. i notice on my iphone 5, i have had it for 12 months.

If i terminate the line (pay the termination fee of $325 - (12 months X $10) = $205), can i then get a new iphone for $200 on a new 2 year contract and keep that old number?

so my cost would be $200 for new phone, plus $205 for cancellation = $405). and then signon for another 2 year contract?

in effect, its the same as the old early termination (in fact better, its alittle cheaper).

This would also appear to be a better deal than their "Next" plan, just upgrade/cancel every year.

Message 1 of 36
Master

Re: Upgrade by canceling?

I bet there is an activation fee which would zero out any savings or more people would be doing this.

Message 2 of 36
Teacher

there is an $18 fee anytime you upgrade. 

I've never lost money upgrading iphones on at&t, in fact i make money on every upgrade since the iphone retains its value so well. you can sell them on ebay for way more than the cost of upgrade/activation.

Message 3 of 36
Highlighted
Professor

This comes up every time a new phone is about to be released.  I believe that if you terminate your line, you both lose your phone number and there is a minimum time period (a few months?) before you can come back as a new customer and get the new customer pricing.  If it was a viable option, many people would would be doing this every year.

Message 4 of 36
Expert

delphipgmr wrote:

there is an $18 fee anytime you upgrade. 

I've never lost money upgrading iphones on at&t, in fact i make money on every upgrade since the iphone retains its value so well. you can sell them on ebay for way more than the cost of upgrade/activation.

has not been 18.00 for about a year, activation charge is now 36.00

Message 5 of 36
Expert

dwill05 wrote:

This comes up every time a new phone is about to be released.  I believe that if you terminate your line, you both lose your phone number and there is a minimum time period (a few months?) before you can come back as a new customer and get the new customer pricing.  If it was a viable option, many people would would be doing this every year.

think it is closer to 90 to 180 days

Message 6 of 36
Teacher

i dont think that is true, i have terminated lines before and added a new one the same day.

I have 7 lines on my account, if i cancel one, its not like they are going to say "Nope, you cant add any new lines! we dont want your money!"

just a matter of if they will let you cancel the contract without cancelling the line, which i cant imagine they wouldnt want to.

and the other poster is right, it is $36, i forget because i usually get it waived (I've been an AT&T/Cingular customer for 28 consecutive years, so they usually waive it for me).  Ive been a customer since before even cingular existed (when it was the Ma-Bells), so they have done weird things for me in the past.

Message 7 of 36
Teacher

and another thing

if you cancel a number, and assuming your bill is up to date and you pay the cancellation fee, you still legally own the number, you can transfer it to another carrier if you want.  happens all the time when people change carriers.

so why cant you cancel a line, add a new one and port the number?

remember you are allowed up to 10 devices on a plan, i have 7.

Message 8 of 36
Employee

If you cancel your phone number, you would lose that number as it goes inactive for 90 days I believe.

So you would not be able to get that number back. Also, you would lose any grandfathered features you may have.

Also, youre cancel and add a new line every year would run a credit check, so you would be dinging your credit.

The Activation/Upgrade fee is also $36.00. We no longer waive them thourgh our stores, or through customer care.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 36
Teacher

First of all, i am a credit expert, i do it for a living.

they can only do a "hard pull" when extending NEW credit, adding a line is not new credit, they can only soft pull if they really wanted to.  I have never had AT&T/cingular ever do a hard pull on my CR's, in fact they have never done soft pulls either, but that just may be because of my 28 year history.

Lets say, i go an get a new line at ABC carrier. i port the line in question over.. AT&T will automatically close that line and bill me the cancelation fee, my other 6 lines stay intact.

Then add a new iphone line and port the number back to it.

The number portability act dictates that *WE* own the number, we can do with it as we please.

I think it will work, let see if an AT&T rep chimes in at some point.

Message 10 of 36
Teacher

They may not technically reverse the fee, but the last few times they gave me a "courtesy credit" of the activation fee amount.

Message 11 of 36
Employee

You posted on here asking a question, I answered it.

It appears I have offended you, I apologize for that.

I will remove myself from this topic then.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 36
Teacher

no you didnt offend me.

Im just curious if you're saying that there is some policy that says you cant move a number to another carrier, pay the cancellation fee, and then port it back to another valid AT&T line when you create it?

(or have AT&T's retention dept just do it in the first place).

Message 13 of 36
Employee

I misunderstood your question.

If you port the number out to another carrier, then its your number still.

If you cancel it, the number remains with AT&T, and goes back into cycle, being unavailable for 90 days before it can be used again.

I work in a COR Mobility store, who told you we no longer did the Early Upgrade of $250 + Price of Phone?

I was under the assumption we still did that, I may be wrong though.

Employee Contributor*
Message 14 of 36
Teacher

it was on CNN.com that AT&T did away with the early upgrade when they came out with the "next" program.

In fact, when i log into my online account, and "check for upgrades", the phones that shoudl come up as "special discount" which use to be the early upgrade, now show "not eligible" until XX/XX, which is the full 2 year mark. so its pretty obvious this is now the case.

click HERE to see the CNN.com article.

AT&T use to be really good for upgrades, because of my number of lines, the primary number on my account (mine), was basically ALWAYS upgradable, usually after 6 months i would get early upgrade, then 12 months full upgrade. (but only for the main line on my account, the others followed the rules).

We will see when the new phone comes out, but ill bet the house they will let you do this. like i said, it would probably take the retention department to do it.  also, i have the pull that i have 4 lines coming out of contract in october, i can always pull them all and just go to another carrier.  (not that i would, like i said ive been with at&T for 28 years).

Message 15 of 36
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support