Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 22, 2014
10:08:37 AM
Upgrade Nightmare
Edited by jaydonihoo on Apr 22, 2014 at 11:23:22 AM

I've been trying to upgrade my phone for over a month now, still have no phone.

It all started last month when I wanted to upgrade. I'm a hardcore HTC fan so I was surprised to see the new HTC ONE (M8) online for sale(not presale) with free overnight shipping. So I proceed with my upgrade to no avail. It would let me go through the motions until the "Plan Features" section where I had to select my data plan as well as any other auxillary services I would like. Well, upon trying to continue I get informed that my current data plan is better and then I'm asked if I would like to keep my original plan. After carefully reading very confusing verbage I make a very reserved decision in hopes that I selected the right thing to allow me to keep my plan. Low and behold it does it's processing screen and reverts me right back to the previous select a plan page. Ok, No biggie, I'll just redo it maybe it was a giltch. Fifty times later still no luck. So I spend the majority of the next two days chatting and calling customer service, one of which I think still had instruction from 1990 on how to use the internet to upgrade, in order to try and get my upgrade. Never once was I told why I couldn't upgrade, I was just transferred into an endless loop of "poeple that could fix my problem."

I then gave that up and decided to just go to a store and see what can happen. Who wants to guess the outcome? Anybody? No?. Okay, well after around 45 minutes I was told that "That phone isn't even due out until next month" <insert blinking blank face here>. I then proceed to show the representative the online upgrade site and let him see it. He agrees with me that there is no mention of it being a "pre-sale."

Next day I get a message wanting me to take a brief survey about my experience with at&t, Oh boy was I excited to hear this. Of course I'll take your survey! After issuing a very poor survey I was contacted by a department that wants to know more about why, I give them the story and they offer me a $50 bill credit, unacceptable, my time, especially two days worth is far more valuable than that. If you add in the fact that I still don't have the phone that I want or that no one knows as to why I can't upgrade I think it's an abomination. I said, "I can't talk, call me back tomorrow." They do, I miss the call. I call the number provided in my voicemail back and get an instant recording telling me to leave my number, information, etc. I do this expecting a call back maybe the next day, negative, I have still yet to receive a call back.

Fast foreward to yesterday. I decide I'll try my luck at the local at&t store. I get there they look through my notes see my hassel and tell me that if I want any kind of credit I'll have to call customer service. I politely tell them that if they don't figure out a way to come up with similar compensation then I'm leaving the store and leaving at&t. They then offer me a 25% discount on accessories, wrong answer. So I leave. I call customer service and the nice lady there convinces me to give customer retention a chance to make it up. So I do, then decide to try my luck at a store again. This time I tell them, in advance, that I will upgrade my phone only if they have the case in stock, I was told, "Oh, yeah, we should have those." They have the phone I want, my upgrade should go through and they have a nice case that I want on display. What could go wrong? Come to find out after I've been there for an hour waiting/getting every ready for the upgrade, they don't have the case. I was however informed that they could order it for me and I would get it in 3-5 days. I say "Okay, if you give me a 25% discount on the accessory I'll do it." I was told that he couldn't do that. I then said, "If I leave I'm not coming back over a 25% discount on a case." He was unphased by my words. I then said, "Thank you for your time." Not once on my walk out did he try and stop me.

What happened to customer service?

Is it now policy to say "We don't care if we lose customers over petty problems because we have ten more waiting behind them?"

This isn't even about the money. It's more about the fact that money is the only thing that is going to get at&t's attention.

I've been trying to upgrade my phone for over a month now, still have no phone.

It all started last month when I wanted to upgrade. I'm a hardcore HTC fan so I was surprised to see the new HTC ONE (M8) online for sale(not presale) with free overnight shipping. So I proceed with my upgrade to no avail. It would let me go through the motions until the "Plan Features" section where I had to select my data plan as well as any other auxillary services I would like. Well, upon trying to continue I get informed that my current data plan is better and then I'm asked if I would like to keep my original plan. After carefully reading very confusing verbage I make a very reserved decision in hopes that I selected the right thing to allow me to keep my plan. Low and behold it does it's processing screen and reverts me right back to the previous select a plan page. Ok, No biggie, I'll just redo it maybe it was a giltch. Fifty times later still no luck. So I spend the majority of the next two days chatting and calling customer service, one of which I think still had instruction from 1990 on how to use the internet to upgrade, in order to try and get my upgrade. Never once was I told why I couldn't upgrade, I was just transferred into an endless loop of "poeple that could fix my problem."

I then gave that up and decided to just go to a store and see what can happen. Who wants to guess the outcome? Anybody? No?. Okay, well after around 45 minutes I was told that "That phone isn't even due out until next month" <insert blinking blank face here>. I then proceed to show the representative the online upgrade site and let him see it. He agrees with me that there is no mention of it being a "pre-sale."

Next day I get a message wanting me to take a brief survey about my experience with at&t, Oh boy was I excited to hear this. Of course I'll take your survey! After issuing a very poor survey I was contacted by a department that wants to know more about why, I give them the story and they offer me a $50 bill credit, unacceptable, my time, especially two days worth is far more valuable than that. If you add in the fact that I still don't have the phone that I want or that no one knows as to why I can't upgrade I think it's an abomination. I said, "I can't talk, call me back tomorrow." They do, I miss the call. I call the number provided in my voicemail back and get an instant recording telling me to leave my number, information, etc. I do this expecting a call back maybe the next day, negative, I have still yet to receive a call back.

Fast foreward to yesterday. I decide I'll try my luck at the local at&t store. I get there they look through my notes see my hassel and tell me that if I want any kind of credit I'll have to call customer service. I politely tell them that if they don't figure out a way to come up with similar compensation then I'm leaving the store and leaving at&t. They then offer me a 25% discount on accessories, wrong answer. So I leave. I call customer service and the nice lady there convinces me to give customer retention a chance to make it up. So I do, then decide to try my luck at a store again. This time I tell them, in advance, that I will upgrade my phone only if they have the case in stock, I was told, "Oh, yeah, we should have those." They have the phone I want, my upgrade should go through and they have a nice case that I want on display. What could go wrong? Come to find out after I've been there for an hour waiting/getting every ready for the upgrade, they don't have the case. I was however informed that they could order it for me and I would get it in 3-5 days. I say "Okay, if you give me a 25% discount on the accessory I'll do it." I was told that he couldn't do that. I then said, "If I leave I'm not coming back over a 25% discount on a case." He was unphased by my words. I then said, "Thank you for your time." Not once on my walk out did he try and stop me.

Is it now policy to say "We don't care if we lose customers over petty problems because we have ten more waiting behind them?"

This isn't even about the money. It's more about the fact that money is the only thing that is going to get at&t's attention.

Upgrade Nightmare

[ Edited ]
5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 10:44:31 AM
(0)
Scholar

Break these paragraphs down for us, and we'll give you a response asap; I didn't take the time to even read this.

Break these paragraphs down for us, and we'll give you a response asap; I didn't take the time to even read this.

Re: Upgrade Nightmare

2 of 6 (523 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 1:36:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

jaydonihoo wrote:

"Okay, if you give me a 25% discount on the accessory I'll do it." I was told that he couldn't do that. I then said, "If I leave I'm not coming back over a 25% discount on a case." He was unphased by my words. I then said, "Thank you for your time." Not once on my walk out did he try and stop me.

To me, I would expect them to act exactly as they did.  You made it clear to them that you would leave if you didn't get what you wanted, and they couldn't provide it.  For them to only try to stop you as you left would likely only upset you more since you had already given the ultimatum and they couldn't meet your demands.  Had they tried to stop you, then you would have had a high likelihood of just complaining that they kept harrassing you after you had already told them you were "done".  They were in a "no win" situation, so they treated you professionally, and let you leave with your satisfaction that you "won" and you were going to leave no matter what.

From your description you had already had several bad experiences, and you seemed to have gone in determined to "get what they owed you or else" and they couldn't meet your demands and decided that the most professional solution was to accept your "or else" and let you leave with dignity.  I have seen many clerks in stores use that technique when the customer is being unreasonable or over demanding (not that I am saying you were, but the cleark may have interpreted your actions as such).

I'm sorry to hear that you decided to leave AT&T over a $10-15 discount on a phone case, but it is ultimately your decision.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

jaydonihoo wrote:

"Okay, if you give me a 25% discount on the accessory I'll do it." I was told that he couldn't do that. I then said, "If I leave I'm not coming back over a 25% discount on a case." He was unphased by my words. I then said, "Thank you for your time." Not once on my walk out did he try and stop me.

To me, I would expect them to act exactly as they did.  You made it clear to them that you would leave if you didn't get what you wanted, and they couldn't provide it.  For them to only try to stop you as you left would likely only upset you more since you had already given the ultimatum and they couldn't meet your demands.  Had they tried to stop you, then you would have had a high likelihood of just complaining that they kept harrassing you after you had already told them you were "done".  They were in a "no win" situation, so they treated you professionally, and let you leave with your satisfaction that you "won" and you were going to leave no matter what.

From your description you had already had several bad experiences, and you seemed to have gone in determined to "get what they owed you or else" and they couldn't meet your demands and decided that the most professional solution was to accept your "or else" and let you leave with dignity.  I have seen many clerks in stores use that technique when the customer is being unreasonable or over demanding (not that I am saying you were, but the cleark may have interpreted your actions as such).

I'm sorry to hear that you decided to leave AT&T over a $10-15 discount on a phone case, but it is ultimately your decision.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 2:06:02 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jaydonihoo on Apr 22, 2014 at 2:17:30 PM

Had the other store not offered it to me before I would have accepted it as such. But to flat out tell me that he could not when I know that if not him then his manager most definitely can. He either is unaware that he has the ability to do so, which, considering the blatant overall amount of misinformation and lack of knowledge, doesn't surprise me. Therein lies the problem. I specifically told him what it would take to keep me a satified customer, which had been proven within the stores boundaries, yet he still did not offer it nor did he try and find out if he could.

I have been a at&t customer for about 8 years. That is over $15,000 on bills alone not including any upgrade fees, phone purchases, overages, etc. I was just hoping that they valued the customer loyalty a bit more than they apparently do. 

Had the other store not offered it to me before I would have accepted it as such. But to flat out tell me that he could not when I know that if not him then his manager most definitely can. He either is unaware that he has the ability to do so, which, considering the blatant overall amount of misinformation and lack of knowledge, doesn't surprise me. Therein lies the problem. I specifically told him what it would take to keep me a satified customer, which had been proven within the stores boundaries, yet he still did not offer it nor did he try and find out if he could.

I have been a at&t customer for about 8 years. That is over $15,000 on bills alone not including any upgrade fees, phone purchases, overages, etc. I was just hoping that they valued the customer loyalty a bit more than they apparently do. 

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 2:11:32 PM
(0)
Expert

jaydonihoo wrote:

Had the other store not offered it to me before I would have accepted it as such. But to flat out tell me that he could not when I know that if not him then his manager most definately can. He either is unaware that he has the ability to do so, which, considering the blatant overall amount of misinformation and lack of knowledge, doesn't surprise me. Therein lies the problem. I specifically told him what it would take to keep me a satified customer, which had been proven within the stores boundaries, yet he still did not offer it nor did he try and find out if he could.

Or one store was an authorized retailer and the other was a corporate store

jaydonihoo wrote:

Had the other store not offered it to me before I would have accepted it as such. But to flat out tell me that he could not when I know that if not him then his manager most definately can. He either is unaware that he has the ability to do so, which, considering the blatant overall amount of misinformation and lack of knowledge, doesn't surprise me. Therein lies the problem. I specifically told him what it would take to keep me a satified customer, which had been proven within the stores boundaries, yet he still did not offer it nor did he try and find out if he could.

Or one store was an authorized retailer and the other was a corporate store

5 of 6 (497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 2:16:19 PM
(0)
Tutor
I only go to corporate stores specifically for this reason.
I only go to corporate stores specifically for this reason.

6 of 6 (494 Views)