Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 20, 2014
11:01:59 AM
View profile
Upgrade Eligible Not True?!?!
Edited by Hssteph on Jan 20, 2014 at 11:07:36 AM

I just got off the phone with AT&T's customer service with a credit, but I am not happy with the way I have been treated as a customer. I upgraded my phone before the change to the 2 yr policy and was promised by a rep that my account wouldn't be touched and I would be able to upgrade early like I normally can. Well, today I go online and when I click the check my eligibility I see my number is available to upgrade. I drive to Target so I can get the iPhone 5c and they say I am not. I talked to multiple reps and still even after the credit I am not happy, because I get home and it STILL says I am eligibile. I am so unhappy with the fact I can't get my upgrade date moved so I can go to Target and purchase the phone. They offered me the ability to upgrade through AT&T, but for $99 and I just don't want to do this knowing and having seen an upgrade get changed before from working at Best Buy Mobile. I have screenshots of the upgrade showing.

I just got off the phone with AT&T's customer service with a credit, but I am not happy with the way I have been treated as a customer. I upgraded my phone before the change to the 2 yr policy and was promised by a rep that my account wouldn't be touched and I would be able to upgrade early like I normally can. Well, today I go online and when I click the check my eligibility I see my number is available to upgrade. I drive to Target so I can get the iPhone 5c and they say I am not. I talked to multiple reps and still even after the credit I am not happy, because I get home and it STILL says I am eligibile. I am so unhappy with the fact I can't get my upgrade date moved so I can go to Target and purchase the phone. They offered me the ability to upgrade through AT&T, but for $99 and I just don't want to do this knowing and having seen an upgrade get changed before from working at Best Buy Mobile. I have screenshots of the upgrade showing.

Upgrade Eligible Not True?!?!

[ Edited ]
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 1:20:01 PM
(0)
Employee

Hi Hssteph,

I apologize that you had an issue with upgrading your device.

Sometimes at a national retail store (such as Target, Best Buy Radio Shack, etc) they don't have the same offers as what you can get directly from an AT&T Owned Channel (Online, Company Owned Retail store, Telesales, etc.) The systems they use are different and have very limited access to any of your account information.

I would suggest visiting a local Company Owned Retail store. You can find the closest one by visiting Here

Hi Hssteph,

I apologize that you had an issue with upgrading your device.

Sometimes at a national retail store (such as Target, Best Buy Radio Shack, etc) they don't have the same offers as what you can get directly from an AT&T Owned Channel (Online, Company Owned Retail store, Telesales, etc.) The systems they use are different and have very limited access to any of your account information.

I would suggest visiting a local Company Owned Retail store. You can find the closest one by visiting Here

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Upgrade Eligible Not True?!?!

2 of 9 (795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 1:29:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

When I called the customer service it is showing on their end as well that I am not eligible. That is the problem. They offered to let me order it, would the store let me come and get it as well since it is AT&T?

When I called the customer service it is showing on their end as well that I am not eligible. That is the problem. They offered to let me order it, would the store let me come and get it as well since it is AT&T?

3 of 9 (788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 6:27:42 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello Hssteph, welcome to the forums!

The screenshot you attached shows that your line is eligible for a Next plan option, it's not a standard 2 year contract upgrade. With AT&T Next plan, you can get a phone with no money down and no upgrade fee, but you will have an additional monthly instalment payment, for example the iPhone 5c will be $27.50 for 20 months. You can dial *639# from your cell phone and it'll tell you when you can upgrade with a 2 year subsidy discount.

It shows that you have iPhone 5 right now, when did you buy it? A standard upgrade should be available when your existing 2 year contract expires. Also, is there anything wrong with your phone? I'm asking because iPhone 5c is virtually identical to iPhone 5.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello Hssteph, welcome to the forums!

The screenshot you attached shows that your line is eligible for a Next plan option, it's not a standard 2 year contract upgrade. With AT&T Next plan, you can get a phone with no money down and no upgrade fee, but you will have an additional monthly instalment payment, for example the iPhone 5c will be $27.50 for 20 months. You can dial *639# from your cell phone and it'll tell you when you can upgrade with a 2 year subsidy discount.

It shows that you have iPhone 5 right now, when did you buy it? A standard upgrade should be available when your existing 2 year contract expires. Also, is there anything wrong with your phone? I'm asking because iPhone 5c is virtually identical to iPhone 5.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 9 (731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 7:58:12 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Hssteph on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:58:59 AM

Thank you for your response. This is very confusing with the next upgrade eligibility Next plan and I feel there needs to be better clarification with this. Nothing is wrong with my phone I just thought since I had an upgrade I would use it for that because I wasn't interested in the 5s. After a lot of thought I am okay with not upgrading and will most likely which to Verizon when my contract is up. I have just had way to many issues over the past 5 years, of course I have been with you a lot longer but just in the past 5 has it been bad, with this company not being clear with promotions, upgrades, and other problems. I thank you for your response again and it was very helpful. My recommendation is to maybe make it clearer on the website the difference between a Next upgrade and your 2yr agreement upgrade. I think this would help others like me from thinking they have an upgrade when they do not. I liked the way it used to be where it showed the special upgrade above and the normal 2 yr below.

Thank you,

Thank you for your response. This is very confusing with the next upgrade eligibility Next plan and I feel there needs to be better clarification with this. Nothing is wrong with my phone I just thought since I had an upgrade I would use it for that because I wasn't interested in the 5s. After a lot of thought I am okay with not upgrading and will most likely which to Verizon when my contract is up. I have just had way to many issues over the past 5 years, of course I have been with you a lot longer but just in the past 5 has it been bad, with this company not being clear with promotions, upgrades, and other problems. I thank you for your response again and it was very helpful. My recommendation is to maybe make it clearer on the website the difference between a Next upgrade and your 2yr agreement upgrade. I think this would help others like me from thinking they have an upgrade when they do not. I liked the way it used to be where it showed the special upgrade above and the normal 2 yr below.

Thank you,

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 10:03:12 AM
(0)
Community Manager

You're welcome and I'm very sorry to hear about other issues with your service. We have a team of amazing Social Media Care managers that can fix anything. If there is anything we can do for you at any time, please let us know. We can always be reached via private message here or a forum post.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

You're welcome and I'm very sorry to hear about other issues with your service. We have a team of amazing Social Media Care managers that can fix anything. If there is anything we can do for you at any time, please let us know. We can always be reached via private message here or a forum post.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 9 (709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 10:56:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

I already PM'd them last night and haven't heard back.

I already PM'd them last night and haven't heard back.

7 of 9 (699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 1:56:46 PM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Jan 21, 2014 at 2:01:47 PM

Great. Don't worry, someone will contact you soon, we usually ask for 1-3 business days.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Great. Don't worry, someone will contact you soon, we usually ask for 1-3 business days.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

[ Edited ]
8 of 9 (685 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 8:24:58 AM
(0)
Guru
One thing I've learned is that upgrades, next, etc can get messed up and confusing. My account was not next eligible and not 2 year upgrade available but yet I was not in contract so looks like things can be tricky with all the stuff going on. Definitely check with att to see what the options are.
One thing I've learned is that upgrades, next, etc can get messed up and confusing. My account was not next eligible and not 2 year upgrade available but yet I was not in contract so looks like things can be tricky with all the stuff going on. Definitely check with att to see what the options are.

9 of 9 (632 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments