Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 21, 2013
6:53:48 AM
View profile
Unusable Wireless Service and the Media
Edited by Taylarie on Jul 21, 2013 at 7:21:39 AM

{Personal content removed for your safety}

AT&T Support Personal,

I am writing this letter first out of my own frustration. The most important thing to note is where I live. I live and work in Southampton Village, 11968. Like some of the other posters here this is a SEASONAL community, the active population greatly increases during summer months. I have been an ATT wireless subscriber since the iPhone 3GS was released more than 4 years ago. There is/has been a continuing situation where the data transfer rates in the village plummet to a near unuseable level during summer months. Frequently I reconsider my decision to stick with ATT, instead of switching to Verison which I can see from my friends have MUCH better service.

Well, OK my service in Southampton is frankly unuseable, big deal... I live in the boonies and should be thankful even during the off time hours I can browse the internet on a smartphone at broadband speeds. The problem that irks me is that I also have a $100k plus investment in ATT (T) stock. Your revenues directly influence the performance of my portfolio. So that means I have to care about the negative press your poor service is drawing, and here I present my real argument:

http://www.27east.com/news/article.cfm/East-End/23742/AT

This is COMPLETELY unacceptable, this is by far the most popular publication in the Town of Southampton, I have posted the transcript of the article below. This will directly affect your revenue from not only the full time residents but also the seasonal residents, that go back to the city(NYC) and tell their friends, and make Facebook posts about how they can't use social media/internet/phone when in the Hamptons on AT&T. I implore for the sake of your revenues and my bottom line you address this immediately.

Thank You,

Dave

Credit, 27east.com:

ATT Cellphone Customers Say They Are Fed Up With Poor Service

Publication: The Southampton Press

By Carol Moran   Jul 15, 2013 4:04 PM
                        Jul 17, 2013 10:00 AM

ENLARGE

Upload a Photo

East End residents from East Quogue to Amagansett who pay for AT&T cell service shared similar tales of woe this week: stories of dropped calls, delayed messages and poor signals.

Kelly Bush said her father, Gene Bush, who lives in East Quogue, has a heart condition and carries his cellphone with him at all times. But he has trouble receiving a signal at his home, spreading fear among his family members that he will not be able to make a call when an emergency arises.

David Aronstam, a Manhattan attorney who owns a home in Sag Harbor, said the signal for his iPhone5 disappears for stretches along Noyac Road and in other pockets of the village. “On the beaches, forget about it,” he said in a recent interview.

{Personal content removed for your safety}

AT&T Support Personal,

I am writing this letter first out of my own frustration. The most important thing to note is where I live. I live and work in Southampton Village, 11968. Like some of the other posters here this is a SEASONAL community, the active population greatly increases during summer months. I have been an ATT wireless subscriber since the iPhone 3GS was released more than 4 years ago. There is/has been a continuing situation where the data transfer rates in the village plummet to a near unuseable level during summer months. Frequently I reconsider my decision to stick with ATT, instead of switching to Verison which I can see from my friends have MUCH better service.

Well, OK my service in Southampton is frankly unuseable, big deal... I live in the boonies and should be thankful even during the off time hours I can browse the internet on a smartphone at broadband speeds. The problem that irks me is that I also have a $100k plus investment in ATT (T) stock. Your revenues directly influence the performance of my portfolio. So that means I have to care about the negative press your poor service is drawing, and here I present my real argument:

http://www.27east.com/news/article.cfm/East-End/23742/AT

This is COMPLETELY unacceptable, this is by far the most popular publication in the Town of Southampton, I have posted the transcript of the article below. This will directly affect your revenue from not only the full time residents but also the seasonal residents, that go back to the city(NYC) and tell their friends, and make Facebook posts about how they can't use social media/internet/phone when in the Hamptons on AT&T. I implore for the sake of your revenues and my bottom line you address this immediately.

Thank You,

Dave

Credit, 27east.com:

ATT Cellphone Customers Say They Are Fed Up With Poor Service

Publication: The Southampton Press

By Carol Moran   Jul 15, 2013 4:04 PM
                        Jul 17, 2013 10:00 AM

ENLARGE

Upload a Photo

East End residents from East Quogue to Amagansett who pay for AT&T cell service shared similar tales of woe this week: stories of dropped calls, delayed messages and poor signals.

Kelly Bush said her father, Gene Bush, who lives in East Quogue, has a heart condition and carries his cellphone with him at all times. But he has trouble receiving a signal at his home, spreading fear among his family members that he will not be able to make a call when an emergency arises.

David Aronstam, a Manhattan attorney who owns a home in Sag Harbor, said the signal for his iPhone5 disappears for stretches along Noyac Road and in other pockets of the village. “On the beaches, forget about it,” he said in a recent interview.

Unusable Wireless Service and the Media

[ Edited ]
3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 2:53:24 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello dmckin82, thanks for your feedback and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry your local network performance is not as good as you need it to be, it'll get better but network upgrades take time, a lot of work and a lot of money. AT&T is in the middle of investing 14 billion dollars into it's infrastructure, with 8 billion being invested into it's wireless network.

And about the second part of your post, this report shows that you should have nothing to worry about:

AT&T Reports Solid Revenue Growth on Strong Wireless Gains Driven by Quality Network Performance and...

Have a great weekend!

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello dmckin82, thanks for your feedback and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry your local network performance is not as good as you need it to be, it'll get better but network upgrades take time, a lot of work and a lot of money. AT&T is in the middle of investing 14 billion dollars into it's infrastructure, with 8 billion being invested into it's wireless network.

And about the second part of your post, this report shows that you should have nothing to worry about:

AT&T Reports Solid Revenue Growth on Strong Wireless Gains Driven by Quality Network Performance and Continued U-verse Growth

Have a great weekend!

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Unusable Wireless Service and the Media

2 of 4 (266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 5:36:49 AM
(0)
Contributor
I am responding to this article because I am one of us who Pays over $200 for service that doesn't exist . I have called and called and called and my call is dropped half way through the conversation I can't get a call back cause I don't have reception same with emails coming days later text message don't even come through . I was told by them will its a cellphone sometime this stuff doesn't work whoie because in nyc it works fine then they ask me to trouble shot my phone and it never works and they don't care cause they get our money. I was told my one rep the towers are old and he could see they barely work and said they had nothing in the works to fix it
I am responding to this article because I am one of us who Pays over $200 for service that doesn't exist . I have called and called and called and my call is dropped half way through the conversation I can't get a call back cause I don't have reception same with emails coming days later text message don't even come through . I was told by them will its a cellphone sometime this stuff doesn't work whoie because in nyc it works fine then they ask me to trouble shot my phone and it never works and they don't care cause they get our money. I was told my one rep the towers are old and he could see they barely work and said they had nothing in the works to fix it

3 of 4 (236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 6:39:14 AM
(0)
Expert

Danteberns wrote:

the environment that you are in when you make a call can greatly affect the qualifty of the call and the chance to drop the call. Been in downtown New York on a call while walking, fine one minute then dropped the next becasue of the buildings. My in-laws house is another perfect exmaple, in the front of the house the 5 bars, perfect reception, walk to the back of the house and 2 bars, about 30 feet. If this iis in your house a micro-cell might help.

In addition, not only can the buildings and terrain affect a cell call, but the environment can also - take solar flares as an example.

Current cell technology is hit or miss, the only call method that works 97 percent of the time is POTS service - aka Plain Old Telephone

Danteberns wrote:

the environment that you are in when you make a call can greatly affect the qualifty of the call and the chance to drop the call. Been in downtown New York on a call while walking, fine one minute then dropped the next becasue of the buildings. My in-laws house is another perfect exmaple, in the front of the house the 5 bars, perfect reception, walk to the back of the house and 2 bars, about 30 feet. If this iis in your house a micro-cell might help.

In addition, not only can the buildings and terrain affect a cell call, but the environment can also - take solar flares as an example.

Current cell technology is hit or miss, the only call method that works 97 percent of the time is POTS service - aka Plain Old Telephone

4 of 4 (229 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments