Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 24, 2013
8:41:00 PM
View profile
Unlocking the Mifi Liberate

Hello:

I'd like to ask if anyone can clarify that the Mifi Liberate is already unlocked when we get them.  I'd like to take it to Asia on a trip soon and use a local SIM card but after a couple hours on the tech support phone number it was not clear.  I've read one web review that suggests the Mifi Liberate comes 'factory unlocked' from the factory.  I do see that via the web interface I'm able to manually configure the APN - does this mean it is unlocked? 

Thanks for anyone that may have some experience with this.

Hello:

I'd like to ask if anyone can clarify that the Mifi Liberate is already unlocked when we get them.  I'd like to take it to Asia on a trip soon and use a local SIM card but after a couple hours on the tech support phone number it was not clear.  I've read one web review that suggests the Mifi Liberate comes 'factory unlocked' from the factory.  I do see that via the web interface I'm able to manually configure the APN - does this mean it is unlocked? 

Thanks for anyone that may have some experience with this.

Unlocking the Mifi Liberate

6 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 9:08:27 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, ksdehoff!

Thanks for posting. The devices are all locked to AT&T's network, but if you meet certain requirements, you can submit a request for device unlock.

To learn more about the requirements or to submit a request, click on the link below. If you need your MiFi's wireless number, you should be able to view it online at myatt.com.

Device Unlock Request

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, ksdehoff!

Thanks for posting. The devices are all locked to AT&T's network, but if you meet certain requirements, you can submit a request for device unlock.

To learn more about the requirements or to submit a request, click on the link below. If you need your MiFi's wireless number, you should be able to view it online at myatt.com.

Device Unlock Request

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Unlocking the Mifi Liberate

2 of 7 (3,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 8:16:02 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Taylarie on Jan 20, 2014 at 8:21:26 AM

I just tried to unlock my Mifi Liberate on AT&T's Unlock request page and was given an error message that the device could not be unlocked.  I then called an AT&T representative for assistance.  I was told that AT&T does not have unlock codes for their hotspots, and should contact the manufacturer for it.  I found that statement to be completely unbelievable, especially since I found this statement on the Novatel Support website,

"AT&T should provide the unlock code to customers. We can help to provide unlock tool for 2372 or procedure for 5792.

If any AT&T agent or user calls and asks for code, ask them to use the link below to request the code from AT&T. they can contact us later (after they get the code) to help with unlock procedure."

Why is AT&T telling me that my device is unlockable? Is this even legal to keep a device locked indefinitely?  If this isn't resolved soon, I'm going to [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

I just tried to unlock my Mifi Liberate on AT&T's Unlock request page and was given an error message that the device could not be unlocked.  I then called an AT&T representative for assistance.  I was told that AT&T does not have unlock codes for their hotspots, and should contact the manufacturer for it.  I found that statement to be completely unbelievable, especially since I found this statement on the Novatel Support website,

"AT&T should provide the unlock code to customers. We can help to provide unlock tool for 2372 or procedure for 5792.

If any AT&T agent or user calls and asks for code, ask them to use the link below to request the code from AT&T. they can contact us later (after they get the code) to help with unlock procedure."

Why is AT&T telling me that my device is unlockable? Is this even legal to keep a device locked indefinitely?  If this isn't resolved soon, I'm going to [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

[ Edited ]
3 of 7 (2,861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 9:17:42 AM
(0)
Tutor

Update:

Just received email from Novatel saying that I needed to contact AT&T for code.  I immediately called AT&T again.  This time I was lucky enough to communicate with a highly competent and helpful representative in processing my request for an unlock code.  Hopefully, in a few days I will receive an unlock code via email.

Update:

Just received email from Novatel saying that I needed to contact AT&T for code.  I immediately called AT&T again.  This time I was lucky enough to communicate with a highly competent and helpful representative in processing my request for an unlock code.  Hopefully, in a few days I will receive an unlock code via email.

4 of 7 (2,844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 6:12:18 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Jaa6921a on Jan 22, 2014 at 6:12:40 AM

Please keep us posted.  I have been trying to unlock my Liberate for months

John

Please keep us posted.  I have been trying to unlock my Liberate for months

John

[ Edited ]
5 of 7 (2,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 7:27:11 AM
(0)
Contributor
Att unlock website states that this device cannot me unlocked
Att unlock website states that this device cannot me unlocked

6 of 7 (2,776 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 7:28:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

After Just received an email from ATT support.  They will not unlock the mifi liberate I purchased on ebay.  Below is the response to my unlock request:

• "AT&T provides unlock codes for current or former AT&T customers if they meet the eligibility requirements. If you purchased the device from a current or former AT&T customer please contact them to submit the request to unlock the device."

I guess purchases from a third party are not going to be eligible for unlocking unless they meet the above requirement.   

After Just received an email from ATT support.  They will not unlock the mifi liberate I purchased on ebay.  Below is the response to my unlock request:

• "AT&T provides unlock codes for current or former AT&T customers if they meet the eligibility requirements. If you purchased the device from a current or former AT&T customer please contact them to submit the request to unlock the device."

I guess purchases from a third party are not going to be eligible for unlocking unless they meet the above requirement.   

7 of 7 (2,501 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments