Unlocking question

Contributor

Unlocking question

I know every will tell me to go use the search to find my solution about unlocking but I think my question is some what more unique. My contract is already over and I have already filled in the forum to unlock my iPhone. While I am waiting I am worried I might not get AT&T's approval. I did bought my iphone from an apple retail store but a year after I bought it my iphone malfunctioned and it was still under warranty so the apple store gave me a replacement. Of course it has a different serial number and IMEI. I lost my original sales receipt but I still kept the exchange receipt I got from the apple store which shows when I first bought my iPhone originally. If AT&T does approve my unlock and then asks for me to fax the proof of purchase would that exchange receipt suffice? It seems AT&T is making it really troublesome to unlock. They use to let customers call in to request the unlock but no it seems they are forcing them to do that online form.

I appreciate your feedback on this
Message 1 of 6 (962 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Unlocking question

If you bought your iPhone from an AT&T Corporate Store or an Apple store, I believe they should still unlock it for you as long as it was made for use on the AT&T network (as in locked to ATT). Smiley Happy
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (904 Views)
Master

Wait until you get a response before worrying about it.  If you get denied you can then work with ATT to explain what happened.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 3 of 6 (839 Views)
Guru

I defenitely agree. Just hold off until you get word. If anything you should have proof that the phone was replaced from apple with a receipt or something.

Be advised that any unlocking from a 3rd party source as of right now is considered illegal. 

Message 4 of 6 (776 Views)
Contributor

Good news!!! AT&T unlocked my iPhone Smiley Happy they didn't ask for any proof of purchase or anything. It took 4 days for them to do it but I am glad they did it. Now I have to wait until November until my 4th line's contract is over. Planning to switch to t-mobile. I work for the state and we get a 15% discount from them if I sign up with them. Thanks for all your advice

Sent from my iPhone
Message 5 of 6 (767 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Yay glad to hear that! Sorry to hear about your plans to switch carriers though. :/
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 6 (752 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.