Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 28, 2014
11:54:30 AM
View profile
Unlocking Device

I am having a bit of a challenge with getting my phone unlocked, and since GoPhone users can't use chat support, I figured I'd turn here.

I have a persistant problem: AT&T won't unlock my phone. I have tried for months.

I enter all the necessary information, submit the request, and have gotten a different canned response everytime.

That said, all of the responses boil down the 1) We don't have that device on file 2) We don't have an account that matches that wireless number.

Well, clearly (1) and (2) are wrong because I keep paying AT&T, my SIM card is nice and orange with the AT&T Logo and there's no link anywhere on the go-phone page to associate the phone with the account. I would have figured that AT&T maintened a mapping of the IMSI ESNs for all devices and would be able to use the ESN and identify the (esn, phone number) pair when the phone attached to the network.

So, what do I need to do to get my phone unlocked? Switch carriers?

I am having a bit of a challenge with getting my phone unlocked, and since GoPhone users can't use chat support, I figured I'd turn here.

I have a persistant problem: AT&T won't unlock my phone. I have tried for months.

I enter all the necessary information, submit the request, and have gotten a different canned response everytime.

That said, all of the responses boil down the 1) We don't have that device on file 2) We don't have an account that matches that wireless number.

Well, clearly (1) and (2) are wrong because I keep paying AT&T, my SIM card is nice and orange with the AT&T Logo and there's no link anywhere on the go-phone page to associate the phone with the account. I would have figured that AT&T maintened a mapping of the IMSI ESNs for all devices and would be able to use the ESN and identify the (esn, phone number) pair when the phone attached to the network.

So, what do I need to do to get my phone unlocked? Switch carriers?

Unlocking Device

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 9:03:10 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello @tkrcode 

Some new or exclusive phones might not be eligible for an unlock for some time. What kind of phone are you trying to unlock? Did you buy it new from AT&T?

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello @tkrcode 

Some new or exclusive phones might not be eligible for an unlock for some time. What kind of phone are you trying to unlock? Did you buy it new from AT&T?

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Unlocking Device

2 of 4 (348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 9:27:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

It is just a normal ol' ZTE phone. Bought it new at the AT&T Store. The last unlock request reasoning I received was that the "Name doesn't match the name on the account."...which I logged in and checked, it does. If it helps, I can PM you the IMEI info.

It is just a normal ol' ZTE phone. Bought it new at the AT&T Store. The last unlock request reasoning I received was that the "Name doesn't match the name on the account."...which I logged in and checked, it does. If it helps, I can PM you the IMEI info.

3 of 4 (344 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 9:52:07 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Please send a message by clicking here, we'll be happy to look into it for you. Please include your name, phone number and account number if possible.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Please send a message by clicking here, we'll be happy to look into it for you. Please include your name, phone number and account number if possible.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 4 (339 Views)