Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 10, 2014
9:43:27 AM
View profile
Unlocked iPhone4(A1332) pre-paid plan

I heard that AT&T does not permit the use of iPhones on pre-paid plans.
Then, today I found the SIM on the following website:
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/att/att-sim-for-apple-iphone-4-device.html#fbid=k-kcYb49Xoa

Can I use this SIM for my iPhone4(A1332)?

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/att/att-sim-for-apple-iphone-4-device.html#fbid=k-kcYb49Xoa

Unlocked iPhone4(A1332) pre-paid plan

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 9:53:43 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, justmyd!

Thanks for your post. You can definitely use an out-of-contract iPhone with a prepaid plan. For more information, click on the link below.

GoPhone for iPhone

Let me know if this helps!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, justmyd!

Thanks for your post. You can definitely use an out-of-contract iPhone with a prepaid plan. For more information, click on the link below.

GoPhone for iPhone

Let me know if this helps!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Unlocked iPhone4(A1332) pre-paid plan

2 of 17 (1,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 9:56:23 AM
(0)
Former Employee

justmyd wrote:

It was never "not permited" but it was formerly unsupported. Now it is. Yes, it should work in your iphone.

justmyd wrote:

It was never "not permited" but it was formerly unsupported. Now it is. Yes, it should work in your iphone.

3 of 17 (1,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 9:56:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
AT&T DOES permit iPhones on the prepaid plans. That changed about 6 months ago.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 17 (1,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 7:49:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for your help!

The website is saying:

With GoPhone for your iPhone or other 4G device, you can use the following services:

• Wi-Fi data only (including AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots)
  • Voice
  • Text Messaging
  • Picture & Video Messaging on iOS5.x and prior versions
  • Voicemail

GoPhone doesn't support iPhone and other 4G device cellular data service, so some applications won't work or have restrictions. Visual Voicemail isn't available. We don't recommend GoPhone for Blackberry as it doesn't work properly.

So, with those pre-paid plans, am I able to use data on my iPhone 4 only through Wi-Fi?

I really need to use 3g data.

Thanks for your help!

The website is saying:

With GoPhone for your iPhone or other 4G device, you can use the following services:

• Wi-Fi data only (including AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots)
  • Voice
  • Text Messaging
  • Picture & Video Messaging on iOS5.x and prior versions
  • Voicemail

GoPhone doesn't support iPhone and other 4G device cellular data service, so some applications won't work or have restrictions. Visual Voicemail isn't available. We don't recommend GoPhone for Blackberry as it doesn't work properly.

So, with those pre-paid plans, am I able to use data on my iPhone 4 only through Wi-Fi?

I really need to use 3g data.

5 of 17 (1,148 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 8:13:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

Do they have a plan including data option?

Do they have a plan including data option?

6 of 17 (1,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 8:21:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Can I use data on my iPhone 4 by purchasing those pre-paid plans?

Can I use data on my iPhone 4 by purchasing those pre-paid plans?

7 of 17 (1,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 9:50:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
From what I read, if you want to use data, you can't use the iPhone on prepaid.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 17 (1,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2014 5:11:04 AM
(0)
Mentor

I'm not sure what AT&T calls it, but I have an iPhone 5s (unlocked, purchased for full price from Apple) and I'm paying $60/month for a prepaid plan that includes unlimited voice and messaging and 2 GB of cellular data.  Any cellular data over 2 GB during the month will incur an additional charge.  This plan is not a Go Phone plan.

Perhaps someone from AT&T on this site can explain the difference between the $60/month prepaid plan I'm on and the Go Phone plan, which apparently does not include LTE data.

I'm not sure what AT&T calls it, but I have an iPhone 5s (unlocked, purchased for full price from Apple) and I'm paying $60/month for a prepaid plan that includes unlimited voice and messaging and 2 GB of cellular data.  Any cellular data over 2 GB during the month will incur an additional charge.  This plan is not a Go Phone plan.

Perhaps someone from AT&T on this site can explain the difference between the $60/month prepaid plan I'm on and the Go Phone plan, which apparently does not include LTE data.

9 of 17 (1,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2014 6:34:08 AM
(0)
Former Employee

kdfederer wrote:

That used to be true when the iPhone was not supported. Not true anymore. 

kdfederer wrote:

That used to be true when the iPhone was not supported. Not true anymore. 

10 of 17 (1,085 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2014 6:37:24 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Richmond Dan wrote:

Actually, you have a "Go Phone" plan and there are several to choose from for both smartphones and non-smartphones. You just have the smartphone plan that includes data. 

Richmond Dan wrote:

Actually, you have a "Go Phone" plan and there are several to choose from for both smartphones and non-smartphones. You just have the smartphone plan that includes data. 

11 of 17 (1,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2014 9:40:40 AM
(0)
Mentor
Thanks! I got the plan at the AT&T store, so I didn't have a "name" to go by. Knowing it is a Go Phone plan will help me refer to it correctly online.
Thanks! I got the plan at the AT&T store, so I didn't have a "name" to go by. Knowing it is a Go Phone plan will help me refer to it correctly online.

12 of 17 (1,062 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 12:48:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by justmyd on Jan 14, 2014 at 12:52:34 PM

You got that plan from AT&T store, right?

I really want to know about the plan you are using now and want to use it to if possible..

I really want to know about the plan you are using now and want to use it to if possible..

[ Edited ]
13 of 17 (962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 2:32:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

kdfederer wrote:

It's funny because a year ago, when a potential customer posted here in the Apple forum about wanting to use an iPhone on a prepaid plan, just about everyone was so quick to say "NO!" Glad to see that the majority of people now recognize that it IS, in fact, possible to use ANY model iPhone on a prepaid GoPhone plan. 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

kdfederer wrote:

It's funny because a year ago, when a potential customer posted here in the Apple forum about wanting to use an iPhone on a prepaid plan, just about everyone was so quick to say "NO!" Glad to see that the majority of people now recognize that it IS, in fact, possible to use ANY model iPhone on a prepaid GoPhone plan. 

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

14 of 17 (943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 2:51:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Jan 14, 2014 at 3:02:11 PM

justmyd wrote:

You can take a look at AT&T's prepaid GoPhone plans here: 

http://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html?referrer=http%253A%2F%2Fforums.att.com%...

The only plans available for use with smartphones such as an iPhone are the $25, $40, and $60 monthly plans. The $40 monthly plan includes a mere 200MB of data with the option to purchase more data in 100MB increments should you need more. As stated previously, the $60 monthly plan includes unlimited talk and text, plus 2GB of data with the ability to purchase extra data in 1GB increments. 

If you are interested in the $60 monthly plan, sign up by all means. You can either activate the phone with the plan online yourself or get everything set up in an AT&T store. Now, to use data, you may need to change the APN settings on your phone to allow it. AT&T *may* be able to help you with this, but most of the time they tend not to share such information. There is a website you can visit to download the APN to allow the data to work. If you need it, just let me or any other Apple forum member know. 

Personally, I am using a prepaid iPhone 4 on the $25 monthly plan (without data) and I very much enjoy it. $300 per year, or even less. There is no better service for the price and features. Several family members are doing the exact same thing. I am sure you will love it too once everything is up and running.

Good luck, and most importantly, enjoy! 

justmyd wrote:

You can take a look at AT&T's prepaid GoPhone plans here: 

http://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html?referrer=http%253A%2F%2Fforums.att.com%2Ft5%2FPrepaid%2FBasic-quick-messaging-phone-plans-with-Nokia-Lumia-520%2Ftd-p%2F3846035&_requestid=1712726&_requestid=99669

The only plans available for use with smartphones such as an iPhone are the $25, $40, and $60 monthly plans. The $40 monthly plan includes a mere 200MB of data with the option to purchase more data in 100MB increments should you need more. As stated previously, the $60 monthly plan includes unlimited talk and text, plus 2GB of data with the ability to purchase extra data in 1GB increments. 

If you are interested in the $60 monthly plan, sign up by all means. You can either activate the phone with the plan online yourself or get everything set up in an AT&T store. Now, to use data, you may need to change the APN settings on your phone to allow it. AT&T *may* be able to help you with this, but most of the time they tend not to share such information. There is a website you can visit to download the APN to allow the data to work. If you need it, just let me or any other Apple forum member know. 

Personally, I am using a prepaid iPhone 4 on the $25 monthly plan (without data) and I very much enjoy it. $300 per year, or even less. There is no better service for the price and features. Several family members are doing the exact same thing. I am sure you will love it too once everything is up and running.

Good luck, and most importantly, enjoy! 

[ Edited ]
15 of 17 (938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 3:01:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

I got $60 plan for my iPhone 4 today.

Thank you for help!

Thank you for help!

16 of 17 (933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 3:03:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

justmyd wrote:

Thank you for help!

Awesome! Glad to hear that everything was set up as you intended. Smiley Happy

justmyd wrote:

Thank you for help!

Awesome! Glad to hear that everything was set up as you intended. Smiley Happy

17 of 17 (930 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments