Unlocked iPhone 3GS stuck in recovery mode

Contributor

Unlocked iPhone 3GS stuck in recovery mode

[ Edited ]

So a couple weeks ago I bought a brand new unlocked iPhone 3GS. Just recently it has started randomly going into recovery mode. It has done this 4 times now and I am getting really tired of restoring it. Is there any way I can kick it out of recovery mode without having to restore it? Or should I just bring it into my neareat At&t store? I am getting so frustrated with my new phone.

Message 1 of 6 (1,293 Views)
Expert

Re: Unlocked iPhone 3GS stuck in recovery mode

Kwhip19 wrote:

So a couple weeks ago I bought a brand new unlocked iPhone 3GS. Just recently it has started randomly going into recovery mode. It has done this 4 times now and I am getting really tired of restoring it. Is there any way I can kick it out of recovery mode without having to restore it? Or should I just bring it into my neareat At&t store? I am getting so frustrated with my new phone.

ATT won;t do anything, Apple handles the warranty on a Iphone, first step that I would suggest is to contact the place you bought the phone from

Message 2 of 6 (1,224 Views)
Guru

Your phone shouldnt go into recovery mode.
Unless its either jailbroken with bad tweaks or the software didnt update correctly.

Yes. download TinyUmbrella and plug in your phone. You should see a button that says "Kick out of Recovery"

Message 3 of 6 (997 Views)
Professor

Kwhip19 wrote:

I don't think taking it to AT&T will help as they don't do warranty work on the iPhones.  Where did you buy it?  The 3GS hasn't been made in years, and I don't recall that model ever being sold in the US as coming factory unlocked in the box.

Message 4 of 6 (982 Views)
Contributor

I posted it in some other similar threads today and have had three people reply that it worked for them too, and nobody so far saying it hasn't worked. And yes, everything was still on my iPad; contacts, web bookmarks, all photos, nothing was changed. It just didn't update to iOS 7. After I got it working again I just used wifi and upgraded to iOS 7 over the air with no problems, using it as I type this. If you're still stuck, trying this will not endanger anything at all on your device. Worth a try at least, and I'm guessing it'll work for you to recover lost data of iPhone stuck in recovery mode. Good luck!

Message 5 of 6 (926 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I unplugged the phone from iTunes, held down the top (power) button and the home button for about 10 seconds until the phone restarted (at which point it still had the plug-into-iTunes image), then I plugged the phone back into iTunes, did the restore one more time, and it now shows a "Welcome to your new iPhone" where you can restore from backup or set up as a new iPhone.

Message 6 of 6 (647 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.