Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 6, 2012
2:56:37 AM
View profile
Unlocked Android phone recommendation?

As it appears that my Nexus S won't work in 3G, what would you recommend for an unlocked Android (preferably ICS) phone, that would work in 3G (at least) with AT&T prepaid?

Would Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ work?

The main reason I want unlocked is because I don't want the bloatware that I can't uninstall.

Thanks!

As it appears that my Nexus S won't work in 3G, what would you recommend for an unlocked Android (preferably ICS) phone, that would work in 3G (at least) with AT&T prepaid?

Would Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ work?

The main reason I want unlocked is because I don't want the bloatware that I can't uninstall.

Thanks!

Unlocked Android phone recommendation?

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2012 3:06:07 AM
(0)
Expert
as long as the phone supports the HSDPA 850 / 1900 MHZ bands it will work on AT&T's 3G network.
as long as the phone supports the HSDPA 850 / 1900 MHZ bands it will work on AT&T's 3G network.

Re: Unlocked Android phone recommendation?

2 of 20 (3,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2012 3:15:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

Any specific recommendations for an unlocked ICS phone that's a good value, and where to get it?

Any specific recommendations for an unlocked ICS phone that's a good value, and where to get it?

3 of 20 (3,383 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2012 2:46:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

AT&T Avail Go Phone prepaid package,  new $74.99 at AT&T Prepaid web site.  Use the SIM card you have now, is 3G speed, one year guarantee.  I bought one for my wife and another for me, great smartphone for the price.  You can find it for $129 on their wed site also, but I prefer the $74.99 price, same phone.

AT&T Avail Go Phone prepaid package,  new $74.99 at AT&T Prepaid web site.  Use the SIM card you have now, is 3G speed, one year guarantee.  I bought one for my wife and another for me, great smartphone for the price.  You can find it for $129 on their wed site also, but I prefer the $74.99 price, same phone.

4 of 20 (3,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2012 3:21:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks HiCap - that phone isn't unlocked though?  E.g. I wouldn't be able to take it to Net10, for instance?

Thanks HiCap - that phone isn't unlocked though?  E.g. I wouldn't be able to take it to Net10, for instance?

5 of 20 (3,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2012 4:24:16 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by BrettMT on Oct 6, 2012 at 4:28:33 PM

I don't understand why a special Android phone is required in order to  use it on GoPhone.  Operators can  limit cellphones from using any technology they wish.  If you use to much 4G they can limit you to 3G.  My previous Carrier was T-Mobile and I was able to use 100 MB/month of up to 4G.  When I used that up, it reverted to EDGE.  The 4G reverted to 3G whenever they wished it to.  I moved to AT&T 3 days ago, because, when we visit relatives, they are where there are AT&T towers.  I was willing to pay the $5/month extra for 50 MB/month, because I rarely use over 20 MB/month using my Andriod T-Mobile cellphone.  I was told my T-Mobile Android phone wouldn't work on internet, so I found a "Pantech Pocket" AT&T cellphone and checked with GoPhone Customer Service before I bought it.  They said it would work fine.  So I bought the phone and transferred my phone number to AT&T and added $50 plus $5 for the internet. The internet would not work.  I was told after about an hour of troubleshooting that it wouldn't work because it was a 4G phone.  I was never told before hand nor in the brochures that it couldn't be a 4G phone.  I bought the phone that AT&T told me to buy.  Now I can't get my E-mail when I'm traveling, which is why I switched to AT&T. 

I feel very disappointed and misled by AT&T, and they tell me there's nothing they can do.  I think there is.  I like the phone that I bought, and don't wish to purchase a third phone, nor can I afford to.  I don't want to transfer my phone number again.  I have had this phone number since the 1970's.  Most of my life I have been an a loyal AT&T customer.  Maybe I'm being punished for moving away from AT&T for a couple of years.  Can anyone tell me what I can do other than doing without my E-mail? 

Ransome

[edited for privacy]

I don't understand why a special Android phone is required in order to  use it on GoPhone.  Operators can  limit cellphones from using any technology they wish.  If you use to much 4G they can limit you to 3G.  My previous Carrier was T-Mobile and I was able to use 100 MB/month of up to 4G.  When I used that up, it reverted to EDGE.  The 4G reverted to 3G whenever they wished it to.  I moved to AT&T 3 days ago, because, when we visit relatives, they are where there are AT&T towers.  I was willing to pay the $5/month extra for 50 MB/month, because I rarely use over 20 MB/month using my Andriod T-Mobile cellphone.  I was told my T-Mobile Android phone wouldn't work on internet, so I found a "Pantech Pocket" AT&T cellphone and checked with GoPhone Customer Service before I bought it.  They said it would work fine.  So I bought the phone and transferred my phone number to AT&T and added $50 plus $5 for the internet. The internet would not work.  I was told after about an hour of troubleshooting that it wouldn't work because it was a 4G phone.  I was never told before hand nor in the brochures that it couldn't be a 4G phone.  I bought the phone that AT&T told me to buy.  Now I can't get my E-mail when I'm traveling, which is why I switched to AT&T. 

I feel very disappointed and misled by AT&T, and they tell me there's nothing they can do.  I think there is.  I like the phone that I bought, and don't wish to purchase a third phone, nor can I afford to.  I don't want to transfer my phone number again.  I have had this phone number since the 1970's.  Most of my life I have been an a loyal AT&T customer.  Maybe I'm being punished for moving away from AT&T for a couple of years.  Can anyone tell me what I can do other than doing without my E-mail? 

Ransome

[edited for privacy]

[ Edited ]
6 of 20 (3,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2012 6:43:13 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by SyberJT on Oct 7, 2012 at 6:59:38 AM

Not sure what's going on there with your Pantech Pocket not working. I'm wondering if the APN settings are different for contract versus non-contract (GoPhone)? Even though 4G is not available for Gophones, you should at least be able to get 3G. I've heard from the AT&T reps too that an AT&T 4G phone can be used as a Gophone. The only exception would be the Iphone. I brought my unlocked 4G phone from T-mobile (Samsung Galaxy Exhibit) for my Gophone and I'm getting 3G but I had to change the APN settings. I've been thinking about purchasing an Android 4G Smartphone from AT&T to replace the Galaxy Exhibit but now I'm not sure.

Not sure what's going on there with your Pantech Pocket not working. I'm wondering if the APN settings are different for contract versus non-contract (GoPhone)? Even though 4G is not available for Gophones, you should at least be able to get 3G. I've heard from the AT&T reps too that an AT&T 4G phone can be used as a Gophone. The only exception would be the Iphone. I brought my unlocked 4G phone from T-mobile (Samsung Galaxy Exhibit) for my Gophone and I'm getting 3G but I had to change the APN settings. I've been thinking about purchasing an Android 4G Smartphone from AT&T to replace the Galaxy Exhibit but now I'm not sure.

[ Edited ]
7 of 20 (3,202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2012 7:28:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

How do you change the APN setting?  Maybe that's my solution.

How do you change the APN setting?  Maybe that's my solution.

8 of 20 (3,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2012 8:57:24 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by SyberJT on Oct 7, 2012 at 8:59:49 AM

I don't know if we are allowed to post APN settings here. I just googled AT&T 3G/4G APN settings for Android phone and then followed the instructions. There is also a free app from the Google Play store called "Tweaker APN" which sets the APN settings for various carriers. You need to be connected to Wifi before running so the application can pull the latest information before configuring. My unlocked Galaxy Exhibit is compatible with AT&T 3G bands so I was able to just modify the APN settings to get it working.

I don't know if we are allowed to post APN settings here. I just googled AT&T 3G/4G APN settings for Android phone and then followed the instructions. There is also a free app from the Google Play store called "Tweaker APN" which sets the APN settings for various carriers. You need to be connected to Wifi before running so the application can pull the latest information before configuring. My unlocked Galaxy Exhibit is compatible with AT&T 3G bands so I was able to just modify the APN settings to get it working.

[ Edited ]
9 of 20 (3,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2012 2:20:04 PM
(0)
Expert

SyberJT wrote:

WARNING: What ever you do, be careful...no matter what anyone says, not knowing what you are doing (or following the advice "it's easy, just go for it" ) can easily turn your $50.00 to 599.00 phone into a paperweight.  You can mod your phone, for sure, many do... but you can also break it permanently and void the warranty, too.

Originaly Written by FoneJunkie

SyberJT wrote:

WARNING: What ever you do, be careful...no matter what anyone says, not knowing what you are doing (or following the advice "it's easy, just go for it" ) can easily turn your $50.00 to 599.00 phone into a paperweight.  You can mod your phone, for sure, many do... but you can also break it permanently and void the warranty, too.

10 of 20 (3,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2012 7:44:49 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by SyberJT on Oct 7, 2012 at 8:18:48 PM

wilcre wrote:

"Hey, Let's be careful out there." - Sargent Phil Esterhaus, Hills Street Blues 80's TV Show

I don't think that adding an APN entry under Settings->Wireless & Networking->Mobile Networks, either manually or via the previouslly mentioned App which basically does the same thing, on a non-rooted Android phone is voiding the warranty. But be careful anyways, folks!

wilcre wrote:

"Hey, Let's be careful out there." - Sargent Phil Esterhaus, Hills Street Blues 80's TV Show

I don't think that adding an APN entry under Settings->Wireless & Networking->Mobile Networks, either manually or via the previouslly mentioned App which basically does the same thing, on a non-rooted Android phone is voiding the warranty. But be careful anyways, folks!

[ Edited ]
11 of 20 (3,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2012 6:29:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

Wilcre,

From reviewing many Community Support posts, it appears that you are the one that can give me information from AT&T.  I am very disappointed with AT&T.  I wanted to use AT&T because it had coverage at home and at the places that we travel throughout the year.  When I found an AT&T phone at a price I could afford and liked, I checked with GoPhone Customer Support to see if it would work with GoPhone service.  I was told that it would and purchased it.  I went to an AT&T Retail Store and activated it by transferring my phone number to the new account.  I called Gophone Customer Support and spent an hour or more with him trying to get the data to work.  He finally gave up.  I cannot return the phone since I purchased it from a private party.  I cannot use my E-mail nor the GPS because each of them uses a small amount of data which is unavailable.  I'm sure that AT&T could make the slowest data available, but apparently will not for some unknown reason.  Everything about AT&T's plans seems to be shrouded in secrecy for some reason.  Be that as it may, I can't afford to buy yet another phone and I can't afford over $100/ month for a standard AT&T monthly plan.  But I do need basic E-mail where ever I go.  I do need unlimited voice because the people we talk with are scattered around the USA and we talk often.  I really like the AT&T Pantech Pocket and would use the GPS features occasionally.  I never use Social Networks.  I made it a point to buy an AT&T branded phone and would like to continue to use this AT&T phone.  The people at the AT&T Retail Stores don't seem to have all of the information needed to solve my delimma. 

Can you answer me one question.  The new GoPhone Smartphone Plan for $65 a month including data that started yesterday appears to be a solution to my problem although I don't need that much data.  The information included online doesn't doesn't say anywhere that my AT&T phone would be excluded.  Can you tell me if the information online is correct and I can activate that plan when my current prepaid plan that only gives me unlimited voice and text is due on Nov 1st? 

Wilcre,

From reviewing many Community Support posts, it appears that you are the one that can give me information from AT&T.  I am very disappointed with AT&T.  I wanted to use AT&T because it had coverage at home and at the places that we travel throughout the year.  When I found an AT&T phone at a price I could afford and liked, I checked with GoPhone Customer Support to see if it would work with GoPhone service.  I was told that it would and purchased it.  I went to an AT&T Retail Store and activated it by transferring my phone number to the new account.  I called Gophone Customer Support and spent an hour or more with him trying to get the data to work.  He finally gave up.  I cannot return the phone since I purchased it from a private party.  I cannot use my E-mail nor the GPS because each of them uses a small amount of data which is unavailable.  I'm sure that AT&T could make the slowest data available, but apparently will not for some unknown reason.  Everything about AT&T's plans seems to be shrouded in secrecy for some reason.  Be that as it may, I can't afford to buy yet another phone and I can't afford over $100/ month for a standard AT&T monthly plan.  But I do need basic E-mail where ever I go.  I do need unlimited voice because the people we talk with are scattered around the USA and we talk often.  I really like the AT&T Pantech Pocket and would use the GPS features occasionally.  I never use Social Networks.  I made it a point to buy an AT&T branded phone and would like to continue to use this AT&T phone.  The people at the AT&T Retail Stores don't seem to have all of the information needed to solve my delimma. 

Can you answer me one question.  The new GoPhone Smartphone Plan for $65 a month including data that started yesterday appears to be a solution to my problem although I don't need that much data.  The information included online doesn't doesn't say anywhere that my AT&T phone would be excluded.  Can you tell me if the information online is correct and I can activate that plan when my current prepaid plan that only gives me unlimited voice and text is due on Nov 1st? 

12 of 20 (3,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2012 7:41:55 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by SyberJT on Oct 8, 2012 at 8:01:29 AM

wilcre wrote:

Based on that, I looked at the specs regarding the Pantech Pocket on the AT&T site and it lists under Wireless Technology:

GSM/GPRS                    850/900/1800/1900 MHz
4G*                                HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul
3G - UMTS/HSDPA        UMTS 850/1900/2100 MHz  

So if I'm reading it right, the Pantech Pocket supports the necessary bands for AT&T 3G. Provided you have the correct APN settings and a data package add-on you should be receiving Gophone 3G data. Unless AT&T contract 4G smartphones (excluding Iphones) are specifically locked from receiving data on Gophone network?

wilcre wrote:

Based on that, I looked at the specs regarding the Pantech Pocket on the AT&T site and it lists under Wireless Technology:

GSM/GPRS                    850/900/1800/1900 MHz
4G*                                HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul
3G - UMTS/HSDPA        UMTS 850/1900/2100 MHz  

So if I'm reading it right, the Pantech Pocket supports the necessary bands for AT&T 3G. Provided you have the correct APN settings and a data package add-on you should be receiving Gophone 3G data. Unless AT&T contract 4G smartphones (excluding Iphones) are specifically locked from receiving data on Gophone network?

[ Edited ]
13 of 20 (3,035 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2012 8:01:26 AM
(0)
Teacher
I loaded the tweakker APN and ran it. It turned off my WiFi temporarily and checked to see if it would connect to the internet and it would not. They had me e-mail them with more info, but haven't heard from. When you ran Tweakker APN, which AT&T provider standard did you choose? The only one I saw that included voice and data was AT&T Standard.
I loaded the tweakker APN and ran it. It turned off my WiFi temporarily and checked to see if it would connect to the internet and it would not. They had me e-mail them with more info, but haven't heard from. When you ran Tweakker APN, which AT&T provider standard did you choose? The only one I saw that included voice and data was AT&T Standard.

14 of 20 (3,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2012 8:27:35 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by SyberJT on Oct 8, 2012 at 8:33:44 AM

rwelborn wrote:

The option I used was AT&T Standard. But be carefull!!! That app won't save the settings unless they work but I throw a word of caution out to you. I think you said you purchased your phone from a AT&T reseller. It's a shame, that you can't take it back to them and have them look at it from their end. If you can find a corporate owned AT&T store near you, they may be able to take a look at it as well.

rwelborn wrote:

The option I used was AT&T Standard. But be carefull!!! That app won't save the settings unless they work but I throw a word of caution out to you. I think you said you purchased your phone from a AT&T reseller. It's a shame, that you can't take it back to them and have them look at it from their end. If you can find a corporate owned AT&T store near you, they may be able to take a look at it as well.

[ Edited ]
15 of 20 (3,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2012 9:01:19 AM
(0)
Teacher
I bought it from a private individual. I added the GoPhone Sim Card at an AT&T store. The AT&T Store is now saying yhat the $65 plan that started yesterday will work on the phone, but if I go to them now to activate that plan, I will lose the $50 that I just put on it 3 days ago. I have to wait until Nov 1st to start or lose the $50. But just because one of their agents and their website says it will, I won't be convinced until it's working, because I was told this before by AT&T employees and it didn't work.
I bought it from a private individual. I added the GoPhone Sim Card at an AT&T store. The AT&T Store is now saying yhat the $65 plan that started yesterday will work on the phone, but if I go to them now to activate that plan, I will lose the $50 that I just put on it 3 days ago. I have to wait until Nov 1st to start or lose the $50. But just because one of their agents and their website says it will, I won't be convinced until it's working, because I was told this before by AT&T employees and it didn't work.

16 of 20 (2,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2012 11:20:37 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by SyberJT on Oct 8, 2012 at 12:19:16 PM

The representatives telling you that $65 plan will cure your problem just sounds like the typical sales talk in order to get more money from you. Smiley Mad Although that is a much better deal than the current $50+$25/1GB plan. However, your current $50 + $5/50MB plan SHOULD be getting 3G data to you phone. Be sure that your Gophone account shows the $5 add-on purchased/subscribed. If it doesn't that could be it. Otherwise, I'm beginning to believe that AT&T somehow has locked that phone from receiving a 3G signal when being used as a Gophone. Smiley Frustrated

The representatives telling you that $65 plan will cure your problem just sounds like the typical sales talk in order to get more money from you. Smiley Mad Although that is a much better deal than the current $50+$25/1GB plan. However, your current $50 + $5/50MB plan SHOULD be getting 3G data to you phone. Be sure that your Gophone account shows the $5 add-on purchased/subscribed. If it doesn't that could be it. Otherwise, I'm beginning to believe that AT&T somehow has locked that phone from receiving a 3G signal when being used as a Gophone. Smiley Frustrated

[ Edited ]
17 of 20 (2,969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2012 8:15:29 AM
(0)
Teacher

18 of 20 (2,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2012 9:19:09 AM
(0)
Teacher

SyberJT wrote:

Just found a thread on this forum which may be of help:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Using-GoPhone-SIM-on-4G-phones/m-p/2768089/highlight/true#M37669

Forgot to include the usual disclaiimer, "do at your own risk" to keep certian people here happy. Smiley Wink

SyberJT wrote:

Just found a thread on this forum which may be of help:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Using-GoPhone-SIM-on-4G-phones/m-p/2768089/highlight/true#M37669

Forgot to include the usual disclaiimer, "do at your own risk" to keep certian people here happy. Smiley Wink

19 of 20 (2,861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2013 10:22:18 AM
(0)
Voyager
I have an unlocked Pantech Pocket but I can't use the internet... it connects fine to the wifi but not internet... Do you know what might be the problem?
I have an unlocked Pantech Pocket but I can't use the internet... it connects fine to the wifi but not internet... Do you know what might be the problem?

20 of 20 (1,098 Views)