Unlock request - Unable to process

Tutor

Unlock request - Unable to process

I am ex-subscriber of at&t and trying to unlock my at&t locked phone on which commitment was fully completed. 

I have created a request to unlock my Samsung Solstice (SGH-A887) and received the confirmation email with Request #.  But within seconds I received second email saying

Could you please help me here what is wrong here?

= = = = =

Request number: xxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device.  We are unable to process your request through this channel.

To submit a request to unlock your business AT&T Mobile device, please call Business Customer Care at 800-331-0500.

To submit a request to unlock your prepaid AT&T Mobile device, please call AT&T Customer Care at 800-901-9878.

Sincerely,

The AT&T Customer Care Team  

= = = = = =

Message 1 of 14 (2,157 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Unlock request - Unable to process

idlebrain wrote:

I am ex-subscriber of at&t and trying to unlock my at&t locked phone on which commitment was fully completed. 

I have created a request to unlock my Samsung Solstice (SGH-A887) and received the confirmation email with Request #.  But within seconds I received second email saying

Could you please help me here what is wrong here?

I may be wrong, but believe the online system only works for current account holders. You can try calling the customer care and talk to them about unlocking your phone, they may be able to help.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14 (2,111 Views)
Community Manager

Hello idlebrain,

Did you have any kind of employee/student/military discount on your account? That might be the reason why it's asking you to call customer care.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 14 (2,105 Views)
Professor

Good to know, Dmitriy.

Message 4 of 14 (2,095 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I used to have two devices from at&t with employee discount.  The second one (iPhone 3GS) went through fine with no issues and received unlocked instructions.  But the first one as mentioned above was unable to process.

Thanks. 

Message 5 of 14 (2,044 Views)
Expert

idlebrain wrote:

Yes, I used to have two devices from at&t with employee discount.  The second one (iPhone 3GS) went through fine with no issues and received unlocked instructions.  But the first one as mentioned above was unable to process.

Thanks. 

It could be as simple as there are some phones that carriers just do not unlock, the solstice is a basic device, so this maybe the reason

Message 6 of 14 (2,028 Views)

I just had the same dang thing happen.  I called and got through to a human.  It seems that even though my contract is over, I have to wait for nearly a full month before they will unlock my phone. 

Essentially since I was on auto-pay, they have to generate a final invoice and extract payment.  Then and only then will they unlock my phone.

Good grief!

Message 7 of 14 (1,857 Views)
Scholar

usr19893458-3 wrote:

I just had the same dang thing happen.  I called and got through to a human.  It seems that even though my contract is over, I have to wait for nearly a full month before they will unlock my phone. 

Essentially since I was on auto-pay, they have to generate a final invoice and extract payment.  Then and only then will they unlock my phone.

Good grief!

If you haven't made your final payment, then your contract isn't over. You have to finish making payments to be eligible.

Message 8 of 14 (1,813 Views)

neo979 wrote:

If you haven't made your final payment, then your contract isn't over. You have to finish making payments to be eligible.

That is an interesting point, hadn't thought of it that way.  The support person I spoke with said that there was no way for me to pay that final bill early, so I'm stuck until late November, when the next auto-pay will happen.  I'd love to have a way to just be done with it now.

When I said my contract was over, I meant the 2 year commitment. 

This is an old phone whose number I have had ported to a lower cost provider given the very light use the phone receives.  Reading over the unlock eligibility requirements, it sure sounds like if I had requested the unlock *before* having my number ported, they would have done it right away. 

But since I ported first, and they subsequently closed my account such that I can't even login to the ATT site, I'm stuck until this auto-pay stuff plays out.  The phone works fine for voice calls with the new provider, but I can't get mobile data for a little while longer.

Message 9 of 14 (1,771 Views)
Expert

usr19893458-3 wrote:

neo979 wrote:

That is an interesting point, hadn't thought of it that way.  The support person I spoke with said that there was no way for me to pay that final bill early, so I'm stuck until late November, when the next auto-pay will happen.  I'd love to have a way to just be done with it now.

When I said my contract was over, I meant the 2 year commitment. 

This is an old phone whose number I have had ported to a lower cost provider given the very light use the phone receives.  Reading over the unlock eligibility requirements, it sure sounds like if I had requested the unlock *before* having my number ported, they would have done it right away. 

But since I ported first, and they subsequently closed my account such that I can't even login to the ATT site, I'm stuck until this auto-pay stuff plays out.  The phone works fine for voice calls with the new provider, but I can't get mobile data for a little while longer.

there is a tick box for "previous att customer" on the web submission form

Message 10 of 14 (1,748 Views)

wingrider01 wrote:
there is a tick box for "previous att customer" on the web submission form

Thanks!  I cannot remember if I noticed that on the first go-round, but I just tried again, making sure that radio button was set.  Alas, I still got the same near-instant automatic rejection that the original poster pasted in the first message of this thread.

But that was a very good idea and I appreciate the suggestion.

Message 11 of 14 (1,742 Views)
Expert

Confused about this comment

"The phone works fine for voice calls with the new provider, but I can't get mobile data for a little while longer"

Are you talking about the phone that you want unlocked? If it is the same device the phone appears to be already unlocked - if it was not, then even voice would not work

Message 12 of 14 (1,727 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Yes, I think that the phone is either already unlocked or the poster is using the phone with an AT&T MVNO.  It could be that the poster just needs to change the APN settings.  If the phone is an iPhone, I don't think that you can access the APN settings unless the phone is unlocked.

Message 13 of 14 (1,723 Views)

21stNow wrote:

Yes, I think that the phone is either already unlocked or the poster is using the phone with an AT&T MVNO.  It could be that the poster just needs to change the APN settings.  If the phone is an iPhone, I don't think that you can access the APN settings unless the phone is unlocked.

That is exactly right -- I moved this phone to an MVNO (much less expensive) and merely cannot get to the APN settings until the phone is unlocked. 

It will be OK; just need to wait for a few more weeks to get the mobile data working. 

Message 14 of 14 (1,714 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.