Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Mar 21, 2014
9:42:32 AM
View profile
Unlock a GoPhone used for a PostPaid account

I'm on a postpaid account and my 2 year contract expired. That means I have no committment anymore.

If I buy an AT&T GoPhone (not upgrading!) and use it for my postpaid account, am I eligible to request unlocking my GoPhone? If so, how long after using it can I request unlocking? 60 days or 6 months?

I'm on a postpaid account and my 2 year contract expired. That means I have no committment anymore.

If I buy an AT&T GoPhone (not upgrading!) and use it for my postpaid account, am I eligible to request unlocking my GoPhone? If so, how long after using it can I request unlocking? 60 days or 6 months?

Unlock a GoPhone used for a PostPaid account

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 10:42:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by dmapr on Mar 21, 2014 at 10:42:19 AM

swim084 wrote:

I did just that a few weeks ago. Bought a Lumia 520 GoPhone on a Sunday, sent an unlock request using the phone number associated with an out of contract line that same evening and got a reply with the code by following Tuesday morning. As far as I know the length of the wait does depend on the phone make & model, so I would expect variations from up to a week. Bu there was no back and forth to answer any additional questions or anything like that.

swim084 wrote:

I did just that a few weeks ago. Bought a Lumia 520 GoPhone on a Sunday, sent an unlock request using the phone number associated with an out of contract line that same evening and got a reply with the code by following Tuesday morning. As far as I know the length of the wait does depend on the phone make & model, so I would expect variations from up to a week. Bu there was no back and forth to answer any additional questions or anything like that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Unlock a GoPhone used for a PostPaid account

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 8:00:29 AM
(0)
Voyager

Thanks! It sounds like you don't even need to wait to request for unlocking once you're out of contract? I plan to buy a the Nokia Lumia 520 as well.

Thanks! It sounds like you don't even need to wait to request for unlocking once you're out of contract? I plan to buy a the Nokia Lumia 520 as well.

3 of 4 (683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 8:06:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

swim084 wrote:

Yes, if the phone is no longer in the state oif exclusivity (as the Lumia 520 was at the time of it introduction) all you need to do is to request the unlock using an out of contract line. When a new phone coms out that is only offered by AT&T, then it's usually in a six-months window when all unlocking requests for it will be turned down.

swim084 wrote:

Yes, if the phone is no longer in the state oif exclusivity (as the Lumia 520 was at the time of it introduction) all you need to do is to request the unlock using an out of contract line. When a new phone coms out that is only offered by AT&T, then it's usually in a six-months window when all unlocking requests for it will be turned down.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (679 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments