Unknown text coming in several times aday

Tutor

Unknown text coming in several times aday

i get random text coming in from an "Unknown" sender the message says "message not found", i call it back and it comes up as 865-66,  this is the third phone its happen to, ive tried hard resets, multiple sim cards, and still getting the same thing. it happens when i turn my phone on and off, both connected to wifi and not connectd, any ideas as to whats going on?

Message 1 of 14 (5,817 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Unknown text coming in several times aday

MissJen30 wrote:

i get random text coming in from an "Unknown" sender the message says "message not found", i call it back and it comes up as 865-66,  this is the third phone its happen to, ive tried hard resets, multiple sim cards, and still getting the same thing. it happens when i turn my phone on and off, both connected to wifi and not connectd, any ideas as to whats going on?

My guess is you are subscribed to some automatic text service that is sending these texts. Whether you are or not, it's not your phone or SIM card that is the problem, it is the sender of the texts. Short of getting the sender to stop sending, the only other option would be to change your number. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14 (5,734 Views)
Scholar

Have you tried replying "stop" or "help"? If it is a legitimate company that will usually get you a return text with instructions how to stop the messages.
Message 3 of 14 (5,728 Views)
Tutor

Yes i have tried and i get an error message saying -8656696:error invalid number.please resend using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code, ive had so much trouble with IPhones and AT&T, i hardly ever have service unless im connected to wifi,and even then i can usually only send to other iphone users........i live in West Texas, we were promised to have 4G in our area by march 31st, we had it for two days and now where back to E .... and you can never get a straight answer from AT&T

Message 4 of 14 (5,709 Views)
ACE - Master

MissJen30 wrote:

Yes i have tried and i get an error message saying -8656696:error invalid number.please resend using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code, ive had so much trouble with IPhones and AT&T, i hardly ever have service unless im connected to wifi,and even then i can usually only send to other iphone users........i live in West Texas, we were promised to have 4G in our area by march 31st, we had it for two days and now where back to E .... and you can never get a straight answer from AT&T

Just FYI, regular SMS text messaging does not use wifi, it only works over the cellular network. The reason you are able to send to other iPhones over wifi is because of iMessage. With iMessage, you can only send to other Apple devices. Hope you get your 4g soon but the reason you don't get a good answer from customer service is they do not have access to specific information about where or when 4g or LTE service is going to be activated. The network people just don't share that. I don't think you would find it any different with another carrier. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 14 (5,700 Views)
Tutor

Yes im aware SMS text doesnt use wifi, i was saying thats when they pop up, when im leaving the wifi connection,picking up wifi connection and when i restart my phone......... but the SMS Text are a hit or miss, as far as i know it sent, but i cant recieve txt back, hence the UNKNOWN- message not found!

Message 6 of 14 (5,698 Views)
ACE - Master

I know that AT&T used to offer a service where they would send you information via a text.  I had that turned on and one day while driving down the road, I got a text telling me about how to use my data services in the area I had just entered.  It is quite possible that you have a feature such as this enabled, or that your iPhone is setup with the wrong APN settings, so AT&T thinks you are "roaming" into their network every time you connect to cellular data.  This is more likely the case if you have always gotten these messages on your iPhone and yor previous phone was not an iPhone.  If that is the case, it could be the provisioning on your account, in which case, a call to *611 from your iPhone should be able to get this resolved.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 7 of 14 (5,677 Views)
Tutor

it started when  i got my 3GS, and has continued with Both Iphone 5's, thanks i will give them a call!

Message 8 of 14 (5,644 Views)
Tutor

AT&T CS, told me i just needed to google the Unknown text, because they cant do anything lol....

Message 9 of 14 (5,618 Views)
Scholar

Sounds like it's time to change your number. Sounds like a spammer has gotten hold of your number.
Message 10 of 14 (5,593 Views)
Scholar

Looks like its happening to others. Being discussed on the apple forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4356067?start=0&tstart=0
Message 11 of 14 (5,591 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

gphipps wrote:
Looks like its happening to others. Being discussed on the apple forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4356067?start=0&tstart=0

If they are imessage texts then apple is having a issue with their imessage servers again, sms does not store a message

Message 12 of 14 (5,582 Views)

Message 13 of 14 (4,192 Views)
Community Manager

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 14 (4,172 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.