Unique Activation / Unlock Issue

Contributor

Unique Activation / Unlock Issue

Bit of a unique problem I've encountered. 

I am using an iPhone 5.  I had a 5s and never activated it.  It was too late to return it so I sold it on eBay.

The purchaser of my phone can't activate it because my phone number is showing and they need my billing zip code and last 4 digits of my SSN (which he is NOT going to get).  The issue is he bought this locked phone but wants to unlock it and keep his number.  He claims the AT&T store can only unlock the phone if he signs up for an 18 month contract (which he doesn't want to do).  

It's my argument that he bought the phone knowing it wasn't unlocked and it's his fault.  Is there any way for this guy to unlock his phone without signing up for a contract so he can finally leave me alone?  

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!  

Message 1 of 6 (624 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Unique Activation / Unlock Issue

There is NO WAY for him to get it unlocked. Only the original purchaser of the phone can get the phone unlocked AND if it was purchased as a subsidized phone, there is NO WAY to unlock it until the phone is out of contract.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (595 Views)
Professor

The story about AT&T unlocking a phone if you sign up for an 18 month contract is bogus. He could buy a new iPhone from AT&T, complete the contract on that phone, and then get that phone unlocked, but they won't unlock a phone that was on someone else's account unless they have the original owner's information.

Also, if you got the 5S under contract, it's still under contract and wouldn't be unlocked until the contract term is over, regardless of who actually has the phone.

It's an issue between you and him. Hopefully you made it quite clear in the auction that the phone was locked and was not eligible for factory unlocking.
Message 3 of 6 (579 Views)

Hey dwill and kdfederer, I thought you're supposed to activate a new phone before you sell it? The OP stated he never activated it. Or am I wrong? Thanks!
Message 4 of 6 (553 Views)
ACE - Master

brainwaver wrote:
Hey dwill and kdfederer, I thought you're supposed to activate a new phone before you sell it? The OP stated he never activated it. Or am I wrong? Thanks!

Well, you need to activate it before it can be used whether it is locked or unlocked and since only the original purchaser can activate it, it's pretty much useless to the buyer. Yes, the seller should have activated it before selling it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6 (540 Views)
Master

brainwaver wrote:

Apple and all the carriers that sell iPhones via mail expect the buyer to activate the iPhone upon receipt.  It is a security measure to ensure the iphone does not end up in the wrong hands.  Once activated the first time, anything goes excpet for unlocking until the contract is satisfied then all is good.

Return the buyers money once he returns the iPhone to you in good condition.  Yes he should have known what he was getting but you also sold an unusable iPhone.  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 6 of 6 (538 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.