Unfair 99$ tech charge

Tutor

Unfair 99$ tech charge

I decided to go with att&t for internet and spoke with a sales rep.  I opted for a self install and thus they charged me the necessary amount for the router and such. However, I did everything correctly and still had no internet. I contacted customer support and spoke with a lady who was very helpful in trouble shooting. We tried everything and still no internet.

The only option was for them to send out a tech and see if there was any issue with wiring in the house.  When the tech was here, I showed them that there were no issues within the house. I did so by connecting the router directly to the outside box, which was feeding the house.  The tech agreed that there was no inside wiring issues and opened the ATT&T box and discovered that the ATT wire feeding the apartment was not connected. He simply took the ATT wire and connected it to the line feeding my apartment. When he left he said there would be no charge and asked that I sign for the service call.

A month later I get a $99 charge.  I have been calling and speaking to representative after representative and they keep dropping my call.  No one has been any help in resolving this matter and I feel ATT&T has not been transparent in their business.

In addition, my internet went out today so I went out to see what the issue was and there was a tech installing internet for another apartment.  When I looked at the wiring, I noticed he had undone my wire and was using it to feed the new user.  When I pointed this out he apologized and said my wire was not labeled and was not properly secured. Thus, he figured it was not being used.

It seems to be that ATT&T wants me to pay $99 for their tech to attach the ATT wire to the line feeding my apartment. How is this considered an inside wiring issue? Also, why should I be paying $99 for inadequate work done by the tech. 

For those thinking about having tech support come out, I would recommend opening up the ATT box and making sure the ATT wire is properly connected to the box feeding your apartment. In my opinion, this seems to be what ATT wants their customers to do.

I do not see why ATT has been so adamant against resolving this issue with me. Alex (if you are still the forum manager) I need your help! You seem to be the only ATT representative listening to the customers. Let's solve this issue so ATT can keep me as a customer and in return I promise I'll be a loyal ATT customer for years to come.

Message 1 of 6 (803 Views)
Expert

Re: Unfair 99$ tech charge

[ Edited ]

steve1110 wrote:

I decided to go with att&t for internet and spoke with a sales rep.  I opted for a self install and thus they charged me the necessary amount for the router and such. However, I did everything correctly and still had no internet. I contacted customer support and spoke with a lady who was very helpful in trouble shooting. We tried everything and still no internet.

The only option was for them to send out a tech and see if there was any issue with wiring in the house.  When the tech was here, I showed them that there were no issues within the house. I did so by connecting the router directly to the outside box, which was feeding the house.  The tech agreed that there was no inside wiring issues and opened the ATT&T box and discovered that the ATT wire feeding the apartment was not connected. He simply took the ATT wire and connected it to the line feeding my apartment. When he left he said there would be no charge and asked that I sign for the service call.

A month later I get a $99 charge.  I have been calling and speaking to representative after representative and they keep dropping my call.  No one has been any help in resolving this matter and I feel ATT&T has not been transparent in their business.

In addition, my internet went out today so I went out to see what the issue was and there was a tech installing internet for another apartment.  When I looked at the wiring, I noticed he had undone my wire and was using it to feed the new user.  When I pointed this out he apologized and said my wire was not labeled and was not properly secured. Thus, he figured it was not being used.

It seems to be that ATT&T wants me to pay $99 for their tech to attach the ATT wire to the line feeding my apartment. How is this considered an inside wiring issue? Also, why should I be paying $99 for inadequate work done by the tech. 

For those thinking about having tech support come out, I would recommend opening up the ATT box and making sure the ATT wire is properly connected to the box feeding your apartment. In my opinion, this seems to be what ATT wants their customers to do.

I do not see why ATT has been so adamant against resolving this issue with me. Alex (if you are still the forum manager) I need your help! You seem to be the only ATT representative listening to the customers. Let's solve this issue so ATT can keep me as a customer and in return I promise I'll be a loyal ATT customer for years to come.

if the tech crosses the mantle of the house / apartment building it becomes inside service, if the demark is outside onthe side of the billing it is not. Verizon, charter, times warner, all have the same policy

Message 2 of 6 (755 Views)
Tutor

demarc on side of building

The demarc point is on the side of the building so it is not inside service. Who should I contact to sort this out? and should I provide a picture?

-thanks

Message 3 of 6 (731 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: demarc on side of building

steve1110 wrote:

The demarc point is on the side of the building so it is not inside service. Who should I contact to sort this out? and should I provide a picture?

-thanks

there is wiring inside the building, the distribution panel for service to the various appartments is not outside, again if they cross the mantle there is a inside wiring charge. I learned that the hard way with the local gas company - 150.00 a hour, clock is retro to the time they left the last job or dispatch point
this is the cellular forum but  you can try sending a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST.

Message 4 of 6 (693 Views)
Contributor

Don't believe it Steve.  I've been trying to get a response for a week, with no answer from "Customer Care".

Message 5 of 6 (395 Views)
Expert

lockenest wrote:

Don't believe it Steve.  I've been trying to get a response for a week, with no answer from "Customer Care".

evidently it worked for them since it happened almost a year ago

Message 6 of 6 (364 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.