Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 9, 2011
2:33:43 PM
View profile
Unbelievable poor service in Las Vegas

Just got back from CES in Las Vegas... ready to switch service! Could not use the phone much at all. Totally disappointed in the coverage and service. Even with 5 bars, the calls failed... Data had the same issues.

Anyone else in the same boat?Robot Mad

Just got back from CES in Las Vegas... ready to switch service! Could not use the phone much at all. Totally disappointed in the coverage and service. Even with 5 bars, the calls failed... Data had the same issues.

Unbelievable poor service in Las Vegas

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 9:02:03 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Dellman87 on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:03:33 PM

I heard many people were upset. It was all over tech blogs. T-mobile, Verizon, Sprint etc had no issues.

I heard many people were upset. It was all over tech blogs. T-mobile, Verizon, Sprint etc had no issues.

Re: Unbelievable poor service in Las Vegas

[ Edited ]
2 of 11 (2,790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 1:25:54 AM
(0)
Employee

Probably same reason my phone was useless at the Cleveland Browns game back in November. There are way too many people will celluar access in one area. If it was mostly AT&T that would explain why.

3G congestion, too many people on the same network at the same time will cause issues

Probably same reason my phone was useless at the Cleveland Browns game back in November. There are way too many people will celluar access in one area. If it was mostly AT&T that would explain why.

3G congestion, too many people on the same network at the same time will cause issues

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 11 (2,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 9:23:12 AM
(0)
Guru

Did it occur to anyone at AT&T that that sort of thing might have happened? Was there no possibility of AT&T adding temporary extra capacity in and around the venue? Is there any explanation as to why other carriers were seemingly unaffected?

Did it occur to anyone at AT&T that that sort of thing might have happened? Was there no possibility of AT&T adding temporary extra capacity in and around the venue? Is there any explanation as to why other carriers were seemingly unaffected?

4 of 11 (2,767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 1:17:05 PM
(0)
Guru

haha everytime this happens, I just tell people... "AT&T is just SOOOO popular EVERYONE was using the service and clogged the bandwidth." haha.

SO POPULAR.

nsayer wrote:

haha everytime this happens, I just tell people... "AT&T is just SOOOO popular EVERYONE was using the service and clogged the bandwidth." haha.

SO POPULAR.

nsayer wrote:

5 of 11 (2,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 9:43:11 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by formercanuck on Jan 14, 2011 at 9:48:00 PM

I was at CES - and service in the 'South Hall' was great, but elsewhere, data was poor.

CES - Friday - southhall, -46dBm, iPhone 3GS, 1.5Mbps, Central hall ~400kbps, Northhall, ~100kbps, outside (-75dBm, data unusable, loss of service).

To be fair - I did also have my Sprint phone, and it took +15minutes for activesync to connect, and for the most part, data service wouldn't connect at all.

Voice calls worked fine for me inside all the halls on both AT&T and Sprint.

You must be 'really' tied to your phone - if a single event will cause you to switch carriers.

Eg. do you have this issue outside of Las Vegas where you use your device ?

Las Vegas strip - service ~150-300kbps -  no dropped calls.

Service 'from' Las Vegas to Los Angeles -2500kbps-3000kbps (all desert).

I was at CES - and service in the 'South Hall' was great, but elsewhere, data was poor.

CES - Friday - southhall, -46dBm, iPhone 3GS, 1.5Mbps, Central hall ~400kbps, Northhall, ~100kbps, outside (-75dBm, data unusable, loss of service).

To be fair - I did also have my Sprint phone, and it took +15minutes for activesync to connect, and for the most part, data service wouldn't connect at all.

Voice calls worked fine for me inside all the halls on both AT&T and Sprint.

You must be 'really' tied to your phone - if a single event will cause you to switch carriers.

Eg. do you have this issue outside of Las Vegas where you use your device ?

Las Vegas strip - service ~150-300kbps -  no dropped calls.

Service 'from' Las Vegas to Los Angeles -2500kbps-3000kbps (all desert).

[ Edited ]
6 of 11 (2,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 9:44:39 PM
(0)
Professor

Coverage / capacity was good in the south hall (repeater/microcell).  Outdoors/North Hall, it was unusable.

Coverage / capacity was good in the south hall (repeater/microcell).  Outdoors/North Hall, it was unusable.

7 of 11 (2,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 9:45:52 PM
(0)
Professor

Sprint data wouldn't work for me almost anywhere at CES.  I had to go outside for ActiveSync to work - and even then it took a LONG time to sync up.

Sprint data wouldn't work for me almost anywhere at CES.  I had to go outside for ActiveSync to work - and even then it took a LONG time to sync up.

8 of 11 (2,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2011 7:23:38 AM
(0)
Master

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Happens to me every time I go to Dallas for an "event" - and I've also had it occur in Miami, FL (not Miami, OK - lol.)  Really sad thing is the TracFone user (on at&t's network) who is usually along never has any issues. Smiley Sad

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Happens to me every time I go to Dallas for an "event" - and I've also had it occur in Miami, FL (not Miami, OK - lol.)  Really sad thing is the TracFone user (on at&t's network) who is usually along never has any issues. Smiley Sad

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

9 of 11 (2,739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 7:09:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

jsmit86 wrote:

So, you're saying that trips to LV are frequent enough for you to drop at&t due to poor service?  If you're in LV so often, did you just discover this?  Or was this just a one-time trip?  If it was a one-time trip, I'd say you're jumping the gun a little.

jsmit86 wrote:

So, you're saying that trips to LV are frequent enough for you to drop at&t due to poor service?  If you're in LV so often, did you just discover this?  Or was this just a one-time trip?  If it was a one-time trip, I'd say you're jumping the gun a little.

10 of 11 (2,728 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 12:46:40 PM
(0)
Voyager

I know that this is an old post, but I want to comment.

I just activated a nexus 4 on the $60/2gb a month prepaid at&t gophone plan. I have only tested out this service from my home in Las Vegas so far. My voice calls, and data speeds are pretty much inconsistent, but I have only contacted at&t reps mostly. The at&t reps notice a huge amount of static, and low voice volume on calls. The other 2 calls where made to my mom (hi mom!). The first call to my mom had a noticeable speech delay. The second call was decent just a little static nothing too distracting. 

In my home I get hspa+ speeds, and full signal consistently. My data speeds are all over the place. Anywhere from under 1mbps to 12mbps. Anything over 7mbps is very rare. The point is I am in the same boat so far, but I admit that I haven't fully tested out the service. Spent about 500mb on data speed tests at different hours, so far in only 1 location. 

Maybe it's the combination of my phone/kernel/rom/apn settings?  Maybe at&t only shines during an interstate road trip. 

Nexus 4, 4.2.2 jb, matrix gpuoc kernel, and xenon hd rom for those who are curious (I do apreciate apn settings that might improve the quality of service)

I know that this is an old post, but I want to comment.

I just activated a nexus 4 on the $60/2gb a month prepaid at&t gophone plan. I have only tested out this service from my home in Las Vegas so far. My voice calls, and data speeds are pretty much inconsistent, but I have only contacted at&t reps mostly. The at&t reps notice a huge amount of static, and low voice volume on calls. The other 2 calls where made to my mom (hi mom!). The first call to my mom had a noticeable speech delay. The second call was decent just a little static nothing too distracting. 

In my home I get hspa+ speeds, and full signal consistently. My data speeds are all over the place. Anywhere from under 1mbps to 12mbps. Anything over 7mbps is very rare. The point is I am in the same boat so far, but I admit that I haven't fully tested out the service. Spent about 500mb on data speed tests at different hours, so far in only 1 location. 

Maybe it's the combination of my phone/kernel/rom/apn settings?  Maybe at&t only shines during an interstate road trip. 

Nexus 4, 4.2.2 jb, matrix gpuoc kernel, and xenon hd rom for those who are curious (I do apreciate apn settings that might improve the quality of service)

11 of 11 (1,564 Views)