Unbelievable poor service in Las Vegas

Explorer

Unbelievable poor service in Las Vegas

Just got back from CES in Las Vegas... ready to switch service! Could not use the phone much at all. Totally disappointed in the coverage and service. Even with 5 bars, the calls failed... Data had the same issues.

Anyone else in the same boat?Robot Mad

Message 1 of 11 (2,838 Views)

Re: Unbelievable poor service in Las Vegas

[ Edited ]

I heard many people were upset. It was all over tech blogs. T-mobile, Verizon, Sprint etc had no issues.

Message 2 of 11 (2,823 Views)
Employee

Probably same reason my phone was useless at the Cleveland Browns game back in November. There are way too many people will celluar access in one area. If it was mostly AT&T that would explain why.

3G congestion, too many people on the same network at the same time will cause issues

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 11 (2,809 Views)
Guru

Did it occur to anyone at AT&T that that sort of thing might have happened? Was there no possibility of AT&T adding temporary extra capacity in and around the venue? Is there any explanation as to why other carriers were seemingly unaffected?

Message 4 of 11 (2,800 Views)

haha everytime this happens, I just tell people... "AT&T is just SOOOO popular EVERYONE was using the service and clogged the bandwidth." haha.

SO POPULAR.

nsayer wrote:

Did it occur to anyone at AT&T that that sort of thing might have happened? Was there no possibility of AT&T adding temporary extra capacity in and around the venue? Is there any explanation as to why other carriers were seemingly unaffected?

Message 5 of 11 (2,790 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

I was at CES - and service in the 'South Hall' was great, but elsewhere, data was poor.

CES - Friday - southhall, -46dBm, iPhone 3GS, 1.5Mbps, Central hall ~400kbps, Northhall, ~100kbps, outside (-75dBm, data unusable, loss of service).

To be fair - I did also have my Sprint phone, and it took +15minutes for activesync to connect, and for the most part, data service wouldn't connect at all.

Voice calls worked fine for me inside all the halls on both AT&T and Sprint.

You must be 'really' tied to your phone - if a single event will cause you to switch carriers.

Eg. do you have this issue outside of Las Vegas where you use your device ?

Las Vegas strip - service ~150-300kbps -  no dropped calls.

Service 'from' Las Vegas to Los Angeles -2500kbps-3000kbps (all desert).

Message 6 of 11 (2,782 Views)
Professor

Coverage / capacity was good in the south hall (repeater/microcell).  Outdoors/North Hall, it was unusable.

Message 7 of 11 (2,779 Views)
Professor

Sprint data wouldn't work for me almost anywhere at CES.  I had to go outside for ActiveSync to work - and even then it took a LONG time to sync up.

Message 8 of 11 (2,779 Views)
Highlighted
Master

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Probably same reason my phone was useless at the Cleveland Browns game back in November. There are way too many people will celluar access in one area. If it was mostly AT&T that would explain why.

3G congestion, too many people on the same network at the same time will cause issues

Happens to me every time I go to Dallas for an "event" - and I've also had it occur in Miami, FL (not Miami, OK - lol.)  Really sad thing is the TracFone user (on at&t's network) who is usually along never has any issues. Smiley Sad

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 9 of 11 (2,772 Views)

jsmit86 wrote:

Just got back from CES in Las Vegas... ready to switch service! Could not use the phone much at all. Totally disappointed in the coverage and service. Even with 5 bars, the calls failed... Data had the same issues.

Anyone else in the same boat?Robot Mad

So, you're saying that trips to LV are frequent enough for you to drop at&t due to poor service?  If you're in LV so often, did you just discover this?  Or was this just a one-time trip?  If it was a one-time trip, I'd say you're jumping the gun a little.

Message 10 of 11 (2,761 Views)

I know that this is an old post, but I want to comment.

I just activated a nexus 4 on the $60/2gb a month prepaid at&t gophone plan. I have only tested out this service from my home in Las Vegas so far. My voice calls, and data speeds are pretty much inconsistent, but I have only contacted at&t reps mostly. The at&t reps notice a huge amount of static, and low voice volume on calls. The other 2 calls where made to my mom (hi mom!). The first call to my mom had a noticeable speech delay. The second call was decent just a little static nothing too distracting. 

In my home I get hspa+ speeds, and full signal consistently. My data speeds are all over the place. Anywhere from under 1mbps to 12mbps. Anything over 7mbps is very rare. The point is I am in the same boat so far, but I admit that I haven't fully tested out the service. Spent about 500mb on data speed tests at different hours, so far in only 1 location. 

Maybe it's the combination of my phone/kernel/rom/apn settings?  Maybe at&t only shines during an interstate road trip. 

Nexus 4, 4.2.2 jb, matrix gpuoc kernel, and xenon hd rom for those who are curious (I do apreciate apn settings that might improve the quality of service)

Message 11 of 11 (1,597 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.