Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 31, 2013
6:50:06 AM
View profile
Unacceptable Service

After dropping a call no less than 4 times on my way to work this morning, I finally feel compelled to voice my displeasure with AT&T's service.  My primary complaint is that my family's monthly cell phone bill is our largest "utility"-esque bill a month, and yet it is by far the worst of our monthly services.  We pay less for electricity than we do for this service, and my electricity does not inexplicably shut down four times a day or more.

My phone does not have reliable service within my own home.  My phone does not have reliable service between my home and my office.  There are at least 4 complete dead zones between my home and office I hit everyday and sometimes more than that.  My phone does not have reliable service at my office.  Those are the three places I spend the vast majority of my time, and the phone cannot make reliable calls from any of those places.

Nevertheless, every month I pay the same amount for AT&T's service that someone else does in a better covered area.  While AT&T will never do it, the quality of the service in an area ought to dictate the price we pay.  It is unacceptable that I pay the same thing for an inferior product, and AT&T knows it is inferior because it knows its coverage areas.

Why don't I just switch to a different carrier?  Because I have found they are all equally bad.  I have used T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon at different times.  Also, anyone who has tried to switch cell phone carriers knows it is one of the most frustrating experiences you will ever endure.  I switched from T-Mobile to AT&T 3 years ago and both T-Mobile and AT&T made it a very unpleasant experience.  Keep in mind, I was attempting to sign up for a plan and buy a phone from AT&T, and they made it a nightmare for me to give them my money.  It is not worth it to me to endure that again.  Instead, I would rather AT&T representatives have to explain to me why I should be satisfied with their product.

I know people who have made similar complaints receive an m-cell to assuage their issues.  I do not want an m-cell.  They do not work as far as I have seen.  It obviously does not solve my to-and-from work issues, and my understanding is it degrades your high speed Internet quality.

I want an explanation for why the coverage in my area is so poor.  I do not live in the middle of nowhere.  I also want an explanation for why I pay the same amount for the service as someone who lives in a good coverage area.  I'm sure that explanation would be that due to the nature of cellular telephone service it would be impossible for us to modify rates based on coverage, it is a mobile network, people move around, etc.  That's probably an accurate explanation ,but it does not make me feel any better when I cannot have a telephone conversation in my home.

My hat is off to AT&T and the rest of the major cell providers, as you have created a system where people have become dependent on your service.  You are all equally bad.  You have no motivation to improve your product in any way, and you can charge whatever you want for it.  Well played.

That last paragraph would have been the end of this message, but then I had numerous issues trying to even post this message to the forums.  Add that to the complaint box AT&T.

After dropping a call no less than 4 times on my way to work this morning, I finally feel compelled to voice my displeasure with AT&T's service.  My primary complaint is that my family's monthly cell phone bill is our largest "utility"-esque bill a month, and yet it is by far the worst of our monthly services.  We pay less for electricity than we do for this service, and my electricity does not inexplicably shut down four times a day or more.

My phone does not have reliable service within my own home.  My phone does not have reliable service between my home and my office.  There are at least 4 complete dead zones between my home and office I hit everyday and sometimes more than that.  My phone does not have reliable service at my office.  Those are the three places I spend the vast majority of my time, and the phone cannot make reliable calls from any of those places.

Nevertheless, every month I pay the same amount for AT&T's service that someone else does in a better covered area.  While AT&T will never do it, the quality of the service in an area ought to dictate the price we pay.  It is unacceptable that I pay the same thing for an inferior product, and AT&T knows it is inferior because it knows its coverage areas.

Why don't I just switch to a different carrier?  Because I have found they are all equally bad.  I have used T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon at different times.  Also, anyone who has tried to switch cell phone carriers knows it is one of the most frustrating experiences you will ever endure.  I switched from T-Mobile to AT&T 3 years ago and both T-Mobile and AT&T made it a very unpleasant experience.  Keep in mind, I was attempting to sign up for a plan and buy a phone from AT&T, and they made it a nightmare for me to give them my money.  It is not worth it to me to endure that again.  Instead, I would rather AT&T representatives have to explain to me why I should be satisfied with their product.

I know people who have made similar complaints receive an m-cell to assuage their issues.  I do not want an m-cell.  They do not work as far as I have seen.  It obviously does not solve my to-and-from work issues, and my understanding is it degrades your high speed Internet quality.

I want an explanation for why the coverage in my area is so poor.  I do not live in the middle of nowhere.  I also want an explanation for why I pay the same amount for the service as someone who lives in a good coverage area.  I'm sure that explanation would be that due to the nature of cellular telephone service it would be impossible for us to modify rates based on coverage, it is a mobile network, people move around, etc.  That's probably an accurate explanation ,but it does not make me feel any better when I cannot have a telephone conversation in my home.

My hat is off to AT&T and the rest of the major cell providers, as you have created a system where people have become dependent on your service.  You are all equally bad.  You have no motivation to improve your product in any way, and you can charge whatever you want for it.  Well played.

That last paragraph would have been the end of this message, but then I had numerous issues trying to even post this message to the forums.  Add that to the complaint box AT&T.

Unacceptable Service

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2013 9:30:34 AM
(0)
I feel your pain, but I disagree with your claim that switching providers is so difficult. Just went from VZW to AT&T a couple of months ago, and it was painless. Went to Costco, started a new service with AT&T and a new number as a "test", then when I felt coverage was adequate, I went to an AT&T store to get an iPhone for my wife (Costco doesn't sell iPhones), transferred her number over (took minutes) which canceled her line, and called VZW to cancel service (kept my "test" number from AT&T). There is no reason to put up with "no coverage" or dropped calls in so many places. I suggest you study all the coverage maps for your area and see which provider fits best. Good luck.
I feel your pain, but I disagree with your claim that switching providers is so difficult. Just went from VZW to AT&T a couple of months ago, and it was painless. Went to Costco, started a new service with AT&T and a new number as a "test", then when I felt coverage was adequate, I went to an AT&T store to get an iPhone for my wife (Costco doesn't sell iPhones), transferred her number over (took minutes) which canceled her line, and called VZW to cancel service (kept my "test" number from AT&T). There is no reason to put up with "no coverage" or dropped calls in so many places. I suggest you study all the coverage maps for your area and see which provider fits best. Good luck.

Re: Unacceptable Service

2 of 3 (487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 8:35:50 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, dgpate!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having coverage issues and difficulty posting to the forums. As far as your coverage problems, if you have a smartphone you can download AT&T's Mark the Spot app to flag the areas with poor network coverage. For more information about the app and how to download it, simply click on the link below.

AT&T's Mark the Spot

If you have any other questions or concerns, you can also send us a private message by clicking here. In your message, please include your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. This is a specialized team that handles escalations from the forums; they should be able to take a look at your account and see if you are on the right plan. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, dgpate!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having coverage issues and difficulty posting to the forums. As far as your coverage problems, if you have a smartphone you can download AT&T's Mark the Spot app to flag the areas with poor network coverage. For more information about the app and how to download it, simply click on the link below.

AT&T's Mark the Spot

If you have any other questions or concerns, you can also send us a private message by clicking here. In your message, please include your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. This is a specialized team that handles escalations from the forums; they should be able to take a look at your account and see if you are on the right plan. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Unacceptable Service

3 of 3 (432 Views)