UK Unlocked iPhone5

Tutor

UK Unlocked iPhone5

Hi, I have a UK unlocked iPhone5 which I purchased from the Apple store. Unlike in the US, an iPhone is not tied to a carrier, you can just put any SIM card in and use it. Currently I use this iPhone when I am travelling to the US on a Gophone plan. I need to use a profile to install the carrier settings.

The UK iPhone5 uses a different protocol for 4G/LTE services and so I don't get that full service in the US. However I am moving to the US in January next year and I was wondering whether I would be able to add this device to a new AT&T contract, I would be wanting to use a Mobile Share Plan. 

Will this cause any problems, will I be able to use my iPhone5?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Professor

Re: UK Unlocked iPhone5

No it shouldn't be a problem at all. Smiley Happy It should be as simple as popping in the SIM card since the carrier profiles are within the iOS coding itself Smiley Happy
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Tutor

Hi, I don't think this is the case. When I put my gophone SIM into my iPhone5 it wouldn't let me access the carrier settings. It also didn't automatically select them. When I have my UK SIM card in, a new menu appears allowing me to alter carrier settings.

The only way I could make the gophone SIM work was by going to www.unlockit.co.nz which installed a profile to access the ATT network. It was the agent in the ATT shop who showed me how to do this.

When I go to add buy a SIM card on the ATT site, it asks me to enter the IMEI number before I buy. Can I safely do this or will it block my phone? I would be happy with this as a check...

Message 3 of 4
Tutor

OK, I just went for it and tried inputting the IMEI and it seemed to accept it ok. I didn't complete checkout and my phone with UK sim in it hasn't bricked yet... Smiley Happy

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support