Ask a question

Posted Jul 29, 2013
    7:38:11 AM
    UK Unlocked iPhone5

Hi, I have a UK unlocked iPhone5 which I purchased from the Apple store. Unlike in the US, an iPhone is not tied to a carrier, you can just put any SIM card in and use it. Currently I use this iPhone when I am travelling to the US on a Gophone plan. I need to use a profile to install the carrier settings.

The UK iPhone5 uses a different protocol for 4G/LTE services and so I don't get that full service in the US. However I am moving to the US in January next year and I was wondering whether I would be able to add this device to a new AT&T contract, I would be wanting to use a Mobile Share Plan. 

Will this cause any problems, will I be able to use my iPhone5?

Thanks

UK Unlocked iPhone5

3 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (3)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 29, 2013 8:56:19 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    No it shouldn't be a problem at all. Smiley Happy It should be as simple as popping in the SIM card since the carrier profiles are within the iOS coding itself Smiley Happy
    ~Sunshine :)
    - Sunshine :)
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: UK Unlocked iPhone5

2 of 4 (429 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 29, 2013 10:03:34 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Hi, I don't think this is the case. When I put my gophone SIM into my iPhone5 it wouldn't let me access the carrier settings. It also didn't automatically select them. When I have my UK SIM card in, a new menu appears allowing me to alter carrier settings.

The only way I could make the gophone SIM work was by going to www.unlockit.co.nz which installed a profile to access the ATT network. It was the agent in the ATT shop who showed me how to do this.

When I go to add buy a SIM card on the ATT site, it asks me to enter the IMEI number before I buy. Can I safely do this or will it block my phone? I would be happy with this as a check...

3 of 4 (408 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 29, 2013 10:10:42 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

OK, I just went for it and tried inputting the IMEI and it seemed to accept it ok. I didn't complete checkout and my phone with UK sim in it hasn't bricked yet... Smiley Happy

Thanks

4 of 4 (402 Views)