Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Mar 26, 2014
7:49:50 AM
Trying to speak with human @AT&T Support to unlock my phone

Hi there,

I'll try to remain civil in this post, but given that this is the third day in a row that I've tried to resolve this issue and gotten nowhere, be forewarned that I'm extremely upset.

First off, I am in Thailand. I'm an American citzen working over here. My phone bill is paid under a California address.

So in no uncertain terms let me make this clear: I CAN NOT VISIT A STORE. I'm in Thailand. You don't have stores here. Understood?

Ok, next. My phone had been paid thanks to my employer under their business account for the last 6 years. Pretty sweet right? Definitely. However, now our employment arrangement has changed. I work as a contractor remotely from various Southeast Asian countries and am now paying for the phone account. No worries here, I'll just put in a request to have the phone transferred from the biz account to a personal account.

I have no phone service in Thailand (can't get a sim card if the phone is locked). So I use Skype to call AT&T support. Customer support auotmation doesn't recognize my phone number when I enter it in, so I dodge the voicemail prison to an Operator. After getting handed off to three different people, I finally get to speak to a guy that is helpful. Wish I could remember his name to give him credit, but I don't. I have to call during AT&T service hours, which is basically 9-10pm or so here in Bangkok, so I'm tired, sorry Anonymous Helpful Guy =S

Anyways, Anonymous Helpful Guy tells me that the order to switch from the business paying my phone account to me paying my phone acount never got through all the way (How is that possible? No idea, but can you say human error on AT&T's part? I'm sure you can kids). No problem, he'll straighten it out. He says he did. I assume that's accurate; heck, he was really nice. 

Following his script, he then asks what else he oculd do for me? I explain that I still need my phone unlocked so I can get a local sim card. He dejectedly tells me that he can't do that for me but he can certainly hand me off to someone that can.... ok, person number four coming up. Right? Wrong. While on hold, I get disconnected.

I vent a little bit and then go to sleep. It's been a long freaking phone call late at night after a long day.

The next evening, I gather myself, then call AT&T Customer Center getting the wonderful voicemail system (did you know that there is a special place in afterworld, deep down below in the dank depths of Hades for people that design these systems, and the Directors of Customer Support that implement them?).

Once again it will not recognize the phone number that I enter into it. The difference this time is that I am unable to get to an operator by dialing zero, and the voicemail HANGS UP ON ME after telling me to visit a store (which I can not do without swimming or flying thousands of miles). I call back thinking that I would try voice commands. There first chance I get, I say "operator". No dice. Once again the trusty Voicemail Troll tells me to visit a store and then snickers while hanging up on me (ok, the snicker might have been my imagination).

I'm extermely frustrated. I'm still trying to calm down, but it's late. And it's freakin' hot and humid over here - that doesn't help any Smiley Wink

All I need is for you to unlock my phone. It's paid off and certainly qualifies. I have no phone number that you can call me on to talk (thanks in part to AT&T). Because I'm sure you'll ask, I have tried to fill out the unlock request on your website - and shocker - it doesn't recognize my number and it responds with an error AND A REQUEST TO VISIT A STORE.

What do I need to do at this point to resolve this? Immediately please. I can not take anymore hoops.

For what it's worth, it did help me vent to type this all out. =D

Hi there,

I'll try to remain civil in this post, but given that this is the third day in a row that I've tried to resolve this issue and gotten nowhere, be forewarned that I'm extremely upset.

First off, I am in Thailand. I'm an American citzen working over here. My phone bill is paid under a California address.

So in no uncertain terms let me make this clear: I CAN NOT VISIT A STORE. I'm in Thailand. You don't have stores here. Understood?

Ok, next. My phone had been paid thanks to my employer under their business account for the last 6 years. Pretty sweet right? Definitely. However, now our employment arrangement has changed. I work as a contractor remotely from various Southeast Asian countries and am now paying for the phone account. No worries here, I'll just put in a request to have the phone transferred from the biz account to a personal account.

I have no phone service in Thailand (can't get a sim card if the phone is locked). So I use Skype to call AT&T support. Customer support auotmation doesn't recognize my phone number when I enter it in, so I dodge the voicemail prison to an Operator. After getting handed off to three different people, I finally get to speak to a guy that is helpful. Wish I could remember his name to give him credit, but I don't. I have to call during AT&T service hours, which is basically 9-10pm or so here in Bangkok, so I'm tired, sorry Anonymous Helpful Guy =S

Anyways, Anonymous Helpful Guy tells me that the order to switch from the business paying my phone account to me paying my phone acount never got through all the way (How is that possible? No idea, but can you say human error on AT&T's part? I'm sure you can kids). No problem, he'll straighten it out. He says he did. I assume that's accurate; heck, he was really nice. 

Following his script, he then asks what else he oculd do for me? I explain that I still need my phone unlocked so I can get a local sim card. He dejectedly tells me that he can't do that for me but he can certainly hand me off to someone that can.... ok, person number four coming up. Right? Wrong. While on hold, I get disconnected.

I vent a little bit and then go to sleep. It's been a long freaking phone call late at night after a long day.

The next evening, I gather myself, then call AT&T Customer Center getting the wonderful voicemail system (did you know that there is a special place in afterworld, deep down below in the dank depths of Hades for people that design these systems, and the Directors of Customer Support that implement them?).

Once again it will not recognize the phone number that I enter into it. The difference this time is that I am unable to get to an operator by dialing zero, and the voicemail HANGS UP ON ME after telling me to visit a store (which I can not do without swimming or flying thousands of miles). I call back thinking that I would try voice commands. There first chance I get, I say "operator". No dice. Once again the trusty Voicemail Troll tells me to visit a store and then snickers while hanging up on me (ok, the snicker might have been my imagination).

I'm extermely frustrated. I'm still trying to calm down, but it's late. And it's freakin' hot and humid over here - that doesn't help any Smiley Wink

All I need is for you to unlock my phone. It's paid off and certainly qualifies. I have no phone number that you can call me on to talk (thanks in part to AT&T). Because I'm sure you'll ask, I have tried to fill out the unlock request on your website - and shocker - it doesn't recognize my number and it responds with an error AND A REQUEST TO VISIT A STORE.

What do I need to do at this point to resolve this? Immediately please. I can not take anymore hoops.

For what it's worth, it did help me vent to type this all out. =D

Trying to speak with human @AT&T Support to unlock my phone

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 8:21:23 AM
(0)
Mentor

I run  a business account and ATT wont do this for me.  Good luck but dont expect any decency on the part of AT&T.

I run  a business account and ATT wont do this for me.  Good luck but dont expect any decency on the part of AT&T.

Re: Trying to speak with human @AT&T Support to unlock my phone

2 of 8 (482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 8:35:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Requirements for Unlocking: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Site to send unlock request: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/termsAndCondition

(not to be a smart aleck, but when I googled Request Unlock AT&T, that site was the first result)

If you have further issues with the process you can contact AT&T customer care using the link below.

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Requirements for Unlocking: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Site to send unlock request: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/termsAndCondition

(not to be a smart aleck, but when I googled Request Unlock AT&T, that site was the first result)

If you have further issues with the process you can contact AT&T customer care using the link below.

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 8 (477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 9:59:43 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by mtmariani on Mar 26, 2014 at 10:03:15 AM

Not helpful professor, but thanks for trying.

Might I recommend that instead of padding your post count, you actually read the entire post? For example, the part where I explicitly state that I went through the unlock form that you conveniently relinked/spammed?

Might I recommend that instead of padding your post count, you actually read the entire post? For example, the part where I explicitly state that I went through the unlock form that you conveniently relinked/spammed?

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 10:04:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Since the system isn't recognizing your phone number, you may be limited in what you can do with unlocking the phone through AT&T.

Did you buy your phone before January 26, 2013?  If so, you may be able to use a third-party unlocking service to unlock your phone.  I know that you may not want to pay for this service when it could be free, but due to the difficulties that you are having because of the transfer of billing responsibility and being out of the country, this may be your quickest and cheapest solution.

Your other options would be to purchase a cheap phone in Thailand or to send an email to the address that miccheck gave above.  If you are able to straighten out the transfer of billing responsibility issue, you may be able to request your unlock from AT&T using the website.

Since the system isn't recognizing your phone number, you may be limited in what you can do with unlocking the phone through AT&T.

Did you buy your phone before January 26, 2013?  If so, you may be able to use a third-party unlocking service to unlock your phone.  I know that you may not want to pay for this service when it could be free, but due to the difficulties that you are having because of the transfer of billing responsibility and being out of the country, this may be your quickest and cheapest solution.

Your other options would be to purchase a cheap phone in Thailand or to send an email to the address that miccheck gave above.  If you are able to straighten out the transfer of billing responsibility issue, you may be able to request your unlock from AT&T using the website.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 8 (453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 10:13:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mtmariani wrote:

I also gave you a link where you could contact AT&T customer care for further assistance.

I apologize I missed that sentence in your very lengthy post.

mtmariani wrote:

I also gave you a link where you could contact AT&T customer care for further assistance.

I apologize I missed that sentence in your very lengthy post.

6 of 8 (451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 10:38:19 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Mar 26, 2014 at 10:38:59 AM

I suspect the rep who helped you was trying to juggle these specific portions of the requirements

"The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:

• a current AT&T customer
  • a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account"

Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T)

Typically, the original business account manager would be required to unlock it, but with this, there's a chance, you would be able to. I don't know quite all the logisitics, but if you think it meets the requirements, submit a request.

Alex

I suspect the rep who helped you was trying to juggle these specific portions of the requirements

"The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:

• a current AT&T customer
  • a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account"

Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T)

Typically, the original business account manager would be required to unlock it, but with this, there's a chance, you would be able to. I don't know quite all the logisitics, but if you think it meets the requirements, submit a request.

Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
7 of 8 (446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 5:03:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

Have you tried paying a third party unlocking service from eBay? Smiley Happy

Have you tried paying a third party unlocking service from eBay? Smiley Happy