Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 4, 2013
7:42:36 PM
Transferring one of my numbers from my family phone plan to a different phone company

So my account have 3 phone numbers and I assume that's what people called a family plan. I want to transfer ONE of the numbers to a different phone company. All of these numbers are under the same account. Meanwhile, I am also going to transfer my other 2 numbers to another company. Can anyone please tell me how does this all work? What am I supposed to do?

I will explain in detail if you're wondering about something.

So my account have 3 phone numbers and I assume that's what people called a family plan. I want to transfer ONE of the numbers to a different phone company. All of these numbers are under the same account. Meanwhile, I am also going to transfer my other 2 numbers to another company. Can anyone please tell me how does this all work? What am I supposed to do?

I will explain in detail if you're wondering about something.

Transferring one of my numbers from my family phone plan to a different phone company

10 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2013 8:09:45 PM
(0)
Mentor
May I ask why you are wanting to switch providers? Is there a service we are not meeting or providing to you that we could fix? We would love to keep you as part of the AT&T wireless family! Smiley Happy
May I ask why you are wanting to switch providers? Is there a service we are not meeting or providing to you that we could fix? We would love to keep you as part of the AT&T wireless family! Smiley Happy

Re: Transferring one of my numbers from my family phone plan to a different phone company

2 of 11 (592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2013 9:17:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
If you want to leave, just go to the other company and have them port the numbers to their company. By porting the numbers, that automatically closes your account.
AT&T (and the other wireless providers) do not prorate final months bills, so you will be responsible for the remainder of your bill after the numbers are ported.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
If you want to leave, just go to the other company and have them port the numbers to their company. By porting the numbers, that automatically closes your account.
AT&T (and the other wireless providers) do not prorate final months bills, so you will be responsible for the remainder of your bill after the numbers are ported.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Transferring one of my numbers from my family phone plan to a different phone company

3 of 11 (572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2013 9:53:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

By closing account do you mean removing a specific number out of 1 account? Let's say I have 3 lines in 1 account and I'm only transferring one number from the family plan to another company.

By closing account do you mean removing a specific number out of 1 account? Let's say I have 3 lines in 1 account and I'm only transferring one number from the family plan to another company.

4 of 11 (553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2013 9:58:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

KittySmurf wrote:

Please do not be mistaken by my question. I am asking this question for a friend who actually wants to transfer from a different company to ATT, but yes it is due to service issues.

I've had a few problem with the service from ATT before but it does not concern phone issues.

KittySmurf wrote:

Please do not be mistaken by my question. I am asking this question for a friend who actually wants to transfer from a different company to ATT, but yes it is due to service issues.

I've had a few problem with the service from ATT before but it does not concern phone issues.

5 of 11 (551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2013 3:15:26 AM
(0)
Expert

Kensitux3 wrote:

KittySmurf wrote:

basicly go to the new company pick out the phone, tell them you want to port some numbers, the new carrier will handle it. they will recieve a final bill that is not pro-rated and and additional etf charges that are on each of the numbers for the remaining portion of the 2 year commitment - to restate - that is on each line that is being ported

Kensitux3 wrote:

KittySmurf wrote:

basicly go to the new company pick out the phone, tell them you want to port some numbers, the new carrier will handle it. they will recieve a final bill that is not pro-rated and and additional etf charges that are on each of the numbers for the remaining portion of the 2 year commitment - to restate - that is on each line that is being ported

6 of 11 (520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2013 6:56:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
If you transfer only 1 line out of a family plan, the 2 lines remaining remain in the family plan.
If you transfer only 1 line out of a family plan, the 2 lines remaining remain in the family plan.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 11 (501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2013 12:14:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

wingrider01 wrote:

Kensitux3 wrote:

KittySmurf wrote:

This is starting to make sense. One last question to clarify; would it be different if the number that's being ported out is ONE of the primary numbers that was there when the family plan was created? I read something about it from somewhere about it being different.

wingrider01 wrote:

Kensitux3 wrote:

KittySmurf wrote:

This is starting to make sense. One last question to clarify; would it be different if the number that's being ported out is ONE of the primary numbers that was there when the family plan was created? I read something about it from somewhere about it being different.

8 of 11 (478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2013 12:37:45 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 5, 2013 at 12:38:17 PM

Kensitux3 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Kensitux3 wrote:

KittySmurf wrote:

there is only one primary number - you can tell what this one is by the bill, the one that has the full charge for the voice service and any family features like unlimited texting - for example on th 69.99 plan w/ unlimited family testing the primary number would be 60.00 for teh first line and 30.00 for the text plan, all other phones would base at 9.99. If this is the number being porte you have to call att and change the primary billing to a different number in the family plan

Kensitux3 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Kensitux3 wrote:

KittySmurf wrote:

there is only one primary number - you can tell what this one is by the bill, the one that has the full charge for the voice service and any family features like unlimited texting - for example on th 69.99 plan w/ unlimited family testing the primary number would be 60.00 for teh first line and 30.00 for the text plan, all other phones would base at 9.99. If this is the number being porte you have to call att and change the primary billing to a different number in the family plan

[ Edited ]
9 of 11 (474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 5:13:35 AM
(0)
Contributor
You do not have any way to cancel your phone, Also your rates are out of touch with other company's' and on your go phone you can not receive your money that is left over after your time is up. You do not have a carry over min: plan
You do not have any way to cancel your phone, Also your rates are out of touch with other company's' and on your go phone you can not receive your money that is left over after your time is up. You do not have a carry over min: plan

10 of 11 (213 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 9:36:27 AM
(0)
Expert

jwheff wrote:

1. call 611 or the 1-800 number, tell them you want to cancel. You will be billed for the remaining etf (if still in contract) and final bill. service will be canceled and you wonn't have a cell phone from att

2. unless you are speaking of MVNO cell providers that rent infrastructure from the 3 major carriers the cost are in line, you want cheap, do a gophone such as cricket

3. att have carry over minutes on all of their contract services.

jwheff wrote:

1. call 611 or the 1-800 number, tell them you want to cancel. You will be billed for the remaining etf (if still in contract) and final bill. service will be canceled and you wonn't have a cell phone from att

2. unless you are speaking of MVNO cell providers that rent infrastructure from the 3 major carriers the cost are in line, you want cheap, do a gophone such as cricket

3. att have carry over minutes on all of their contract services.

11 of 11 (189 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments