Transferring one of my numbers from my family phone plan to a different phone company

Tutor

Transferring one of my numbers from my family phone plan to a different phone company

So my account have 3 phone numbers and I assume that's what people called a family plan. I want to transfer ONE of the numbers to a different phone company. All of these numbers are under the same account. Meanwhile, I am also going to transfer my other 2 numbers to another company. Can anyone please tell me how does this all work? What am I supposed to do?

I will explain in detail if you're wondering about something.

Message 1 of 11 (650 Views)
Mentor

Re: Transferring one of my numbers from my family phone plan to a different phone company

May I ask why you are wanting to switch providers? Is there a service we are not meeting or providing to you that we could fix? We would love to keep you as part of the AT&T wireless family! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 11 (642 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Transferring one of my numbers from my family phone plan to a different phone company

If you want to leave, just go to the other company and have them port the numbers to their company. By porting the numbers, that automatically closes your account.
AT&T (and the other wireless providers) do not prorate final months bills, so you will be responsible for the remainder of your bill after the numbers are ported.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 11 (622 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

By closing account do you mean removing a specific number out of 1 account? Let's say I have 3 lines in 1 account and I'm only transferring one number from the family plan to another company.

Message 4 of 11 (603 Views)
Tutor

KittySmurf wrote:
May I ask why you are wanting to switch providers? Is there a service we are not meeting or providing to you that we could fix? We would love to keep you as part of the AT&T wireless family! Smiley Happy

Please do not be mistaken by my question. I am asking this question for a friend who actually wants to transfer from a different company to ATT, but yes it is due to service issues.

I've had a few problem with the service from ATT before but it does not concern phone issues.

Message 5 of 11 (601 Views)
Expert

Kensitux3 wrote:

KittySmurf wrote:

Please do not be mistaken by my question. I am asking this question for a friend who actually wants to transfer from a different company to ATT, but yes it is due to service issues.

I've had a few problem with the service from ATT before but it does not concern phone issues.

basicly go to the new company pick out the phone, tell them you want to port some numbers, the new carrier will handle it. they will recieve a final bill that is not pro-rated and and additional etf charges that are on each of the numbers for the remaining portion of the 2 year commitment - to restate - that is on each line that is being ported

Message 6 of 11 (570 Views)
ACE - Expert

If you transfer only 1 line out of a family plan, the 2 lines remaining remain in the family plan.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 11 (551 Views)
Tutor

wingrider01 wrote:

Kensitux3 wrote:

KittySmurf wrote:

basicly go to the new company pick out the phone, tell them you want to port some numbers, the new carrier will handle it. they will recieve a final bill that is not pro-rated and and additional etf charges that are on each of the numbers for the remaining portion of the 2 year commitment - to restate - that is on each line that is being ported

This is starting to make sense. One last question to clarify; would it be different if the number that's being ported out is ONE of the primary numbers that was there when the family plan was created? I read something about it from somewhere about it being different.

Message 8 of 11 (528 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Kensitux3 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Kensitux3 wrote:

KittySmurf wrote:

This is starting to make sense. One last question to clarify; would it be different if the number that's being ported out is ONE of the primary numbers that was there when the family plan was created? I read something about it from somewhere about it being different.

there is only one primary number - you can tell what this one is by the bill, the one that has the full charge for the voice service and any family features like unlimited texting - for example on th 69.99 plan w/ unlimited family testing the primary number would be 60.00 for teh first line and 30.00 for the text plan, all other phones would base at 9.99. If this is the number being porte you have to call att and change the primary billing to a different number in the family plan

Message 9 of 11 (524 Views)
Contributor

You do not have any way to cancel your phone, Also your rates are out of touch with other company's' and on your go phone you can not receive your money that is left over after your time is up. You do not have a carry over min: plan
Message 10 of 11 (263 Views)
Expert

jwheff wrote:
You do not have any way to cancel your phone, Also your rates are out of touch with other company's' and on your go phone you can not receive your money that is left over after your time is up. You do not have a carry over min: plan

1. call 611 or the 1-800 number, tell them you want to cancel. You will be billed for the remaining etf (if still in contract) and final bill. service will be canceled and you wonn't have a cell phone from att

2. unless you are speaking of MVNO cell providers that rent infrastructure from the 3 major carriers the cost are in line, you want cheap, do a gophone such as cricket

3. att have carry over minutes on all of their contract services.

Message 11 of 11 (239 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.