Helpful Links

Time for clear smartphone definition by AT&T

Teacher

Time for clear smartphone definition by AT&T

I have been doing my best to find a clear smartphone definition from AT&T. I have called customer service multiple times to try to get the answers to this question. I have also searched forums such as this one to no avail. Every time I call they avoid the answer and ask what phone I am looking at. I eventually asked what database they refer to and was told they use google to look up the phone. My question is why is there not a clear definition of a smart phone, this I mean by elaborating on system specs and capabilities of the phone? This would make things much simpler for a person who does not want to commit to another contract. As it stands now I have to look up a phone and call AT&T for each individual device in which the person will eyeball the phone without any understanding of what a smart phone is and give me an answer. As a paying customer who suffers data plan charges with out using data on his phone on a whim of AT&T, I demand a definition and that it be placed on an easily accessible database. Also, to avoid any misleading counter statements, I have been using a T-Mobile My Touch with AT&T which is incapable of accessing anything higher than 2g on the AT&T network for at least a year maybe two without using data.
Message 1 of 19
Former Employee

Re: Time for clear smartphone definition by AT

Hello, Ironsoul24!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about all the confusion surrounding the definition of the term "smartphone." We would certainly be sad to see you leave. To view the definition of a "smartphone" as outlined by AT&T, please click on the link below.

What is a smartphone?

Please let me know if this helps. If not, we can definitely chat via private message if you click here, and our managers can discuss alternatives to smartphones.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Message 16 of 19
Teacher

Well I read your description of an iPhone and have seen you charge for capabilities that are offered by the manufacturer and do not pertain to AT&T besides the cellular data. By this explanation Walmart should be able to charge me a monthly fee for purchasing a iPod touch since this is a MP3 player beyond the capabilities of an iPod nano. And to avoid confusion the device in question is a tmobile purchased MyTouch with no AT&T software installed so no proprietary features what so ever. This phone did not use data due to the fact I deactivated the cellular data. What legal right do you have to charge a service fee for something u do not own or have any connection to besides minutes used by this phone. It does not even have the capabilities to access anything higher than 2g on AT&T's network due to the different frequencies AT&T uses on 3G and 4g. I believe tmobile and google may have legal standing to sue since AT&T has been charging for their software. I will notify them.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 17 of 19
Teacher

Here's another issue with this predicament. http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0183-mystery-phone-charges

Sent from my iPhone
Message 18 of 19
Highlighted
Expert

Ironsoul24 wrote:
Here's another issue with this predicament. http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0183-mystery-phone-charges

Sent from my iPhone

That has been around since the early days of wireless and the touch tone phone, it happens with all carriers. ATT and other carriers have a resolution for this issue, called purchase block. It is a feature you need to call in to the carrier and turn it on per telephone number. ATT and other carriers will refund the charge as long as it is caught by the end user.

Message 19 of 19
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support