Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 22, 2014
12:13:50 PM
View profile
Time for clear smartphone definition by AT&T
I have been doing my best to find a clear smartphone definition from AT&T. I have called customer service multiple times to try to get the answers to this question. I have also searched forums such as this one to no avail. Every time I call they avoid the answer and ask what phone I am looking at. I eventually asked what database they refer to and was told they use google to look up the phone. My question is why is there not a clear definition of a smart phone, this I mean by elaborating on system specs and capabilities of the phone? This would make things much simpler for a person who does not want to commit to another contract. As it stands now I have to look up a phone and call AT&T for each individual device in which the person will eyeball the phone without any understanding of what a smart phone is and give me an answer. As a paying customer who suffers data plan charges with out using data on his phone on a whim of AT&T, I demand a definition and that it be placed on an easily accessible database. Also, to avoid any misleading counter statements, I have been using a T-Mobile My Touch with AT&T which is incapable of accessing anything higher than 2g on the AT&T network for at least a year maybe two without using data.
I have been doing my best to find a clear smartphone definition from AT&T. I have called customer service multiple times to try to get the answers to this question. I have also searched forums such as this one to no avail. Every time I call they avoid the answer and ask what phone I am looking at. I eventually asked what database they refer to and was told they use google to look up the phone. My question is why is there not a clear definition of a smart phone, this I mean by elaborating on system specs and capabilities of the phone? This would make things much simpler for a person who does not want to commit to another contract. As it stands now I have to look up a phone and call AT&T for each individual device in which the person will eyeball the phone without any understanding of what a smart phone is and give me an answer. As a paying customer who suffers data plan charges with out using data on his phone on a whim of AT&T, I demand a definition and that it be placed on an easily accessible database. Also, to avoid any misleading counter statements, I have been using a T-Mobile My Touch with AT&T which is incapable of accessing anything higher than 2g on the AT&T network for at least a year maybe two without using data.

Time for clear smartphone definition by AT&T

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 3:36:27 PM
(0)
Expert

Pretty much industry standard that if it runs

1. Andriod

2. IOS

3. Windows 7 Mobile

4. Blackberry

5. Bada

6. Palm OS

7. Symbian

8. Windows Mobile

9 Open souce mobile code

It is a smarthphone

Pretty much industry standard that if it runs

1. Andriod

2. IOS

3. Windows 7 Mobile

4. Blackberry

5. Bada

6. Palm OS

7. Symbian

8. Windows Mobile

9 Open souce mobile code

It is a smarthphone

Re: Time for clear smartphone definition by AT&T

2 of 19 (1,077 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 5:59:06 PM
(0)
Teacher
Is asked today about some gsm phones that run none of those operating systems or belong to those manufacturers the tech told me they were smart phones when the manufacturer calls them basic texting phones. They are made by a company called BLU. When I asked them why they are considered smart phones I was told it is because they transmit data. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't all cell phones transmit some form of data. What would a text message be if not a series of numbers in binary code. This is where they need to clarify. Instead of calling them about every phone I find, which seems to take about ten minutes per call if not longer, they could state some specifics. There are also some android phones that are not considered smart phones so I do not believe that a type of operating system is a clear enough definition.
Is asked today about some gsm phones that run none of those operating systems or belong to those manufacturers the tech told me they were smart phones when the manufacturer calls them basic texting phones. They are made by a company called BLU. When I asked them why they are considered smart phones I was told it is because they transmit data. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't all cell phones transmit some form of data. What would a text message be if not a series of numbers in binary code. This is where they need to clarify. Instead of calling them about every phone I find, which seems to take about ten minutes per call if not longer, they could state some specifics. There are also some android phones that are not considered smart phones so I do not believe that a type of operating system is a clear enough definition.

3 of 19 (1,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 8:57:03 AM
(0)
Expert

Ironsoul24 wrote:

if they run one of those OS's they are smartphones, not sue what other OS's the tech was referencing. I checked on the company you mentioned - BLU, according to their website they manufacture 2 divisions of phones, a android based series and a basic series

http://bluproducts.com/

Android - these all smartphones

Dash Series - 6 phones

Vivo series - 1 phone

Studio Series - 5 phones

Life Series - 9 phones and 1 tablet

Feature phones - these are basic phones that would not require a data plan 

Diva, DivaZ, Zoey,Jenny TV2.8,Tank

So if the phone you asked about is not in the list of the 5 feature phones that they list on their website, it is a smartphoone

Yes a basic phone has limited abilities to utilize a data stream, MMS messaging utizlies data, the built in limited access web browser can access sites, but you can't load safari or windows explorer to a basic phone or by that fact any applications at all and expect it to work.

The carriers only are concerned with designating the devices they carry, there is no ROI for any carrier to go out and look at every cellular device that is manufactured and will run on their network. Buying a device that is not sold by the carrier is the end users decision and it is up to them to research it.

Ironsoul24 wrote:

if they run one of those OS's they are smartphones, not sue what other OS's the tech was referencing. I checked on the company you mentioned - BLU, according to their website they manufacture 2 divisions of phones, a android based series and a basic series

http://bluproducts.com/

Android - these all smartphones

Dash Series - 6 phones

Vivo series - 1 phone

Studio Series - 5 phones

Life Series - 9 phones and 1 tablet

Feature phones - these are basic phones that would not require a data plan 

Diva, DivaZ, Zoey,Jenny TV2.8,Tank

So if the phone you asked about is not in the list of the 5 feature phones that they list on their website, it is a smartphoone

Yes a basic phone has limited abilities to utilize a data stream, MMS messaging utizlies data, the built in limited access web browser can access sites, but you can't load safari or windows explorer to a basic phone or by that fact any applications at all and expect it to work.

The carriers only are concerned with designating the devices they carry, there is no ROI for any carrier to go out and look at every cellular device that is manufactured and will run on their network. Buying a device that is not sold by the carrier is the end users decision and it is up to them to research it.

4 of 19 (1,017 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 10:05:47 AM
(0)
Teacher
Yes the models I inquired were the tank, viva, and samba. The tech informed the tank and samba are smartphones due to their data capabilities. How ever the viva is not a smart phone, according to the AT&T tech, due to its standard dialing pad. The tech informed that again he referred to google about the phones. I take it this is due to a lack of definition for smartphones by AT&T. The employees do not even know what defines a smart phone.
Yes the models I inquired were the tank, viva, and samba. The tech informed the tank and samba are smartphones due to their data capabilities. How ever the viva is not a smart phone, according to the AT&T tech, due to its standard dialing pad. The tech informed that again he referred to google about the phones. I take it this is due to a lack of definition for smartphones by AT&T. The employees do not even know what defines a smart phone.

5 of 19 (1,002 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 10:58:03 AM
(0)
Professor

Why would it be AT&T's responsibility to define what a smartphone is, especially for devices they don't carry? Shouldn't that responsibility fall on the manufacturers? Shouldn't they be getting together to decide on a standard?

If AT&T doesn't carry a device, they have to rely on information available to them from an outside source.

Why would it be AT&T's responsibility to define what a smartphone is, especially for devices they don't carry? Shouldn't that responsibility fall on the manufacturers? Shouldn't they be getting together to decide on a standard?

If AT&T doesn't carry a device, they have to rely on information available to them from an outside source.

6 of 19 (992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 11:15:24 AM
(0)
Teacher
They should have a definition that they abide by due to there policy that all smartphones require data plans. Although almost all smartphones can access wifi and can terminate cellular data under settings AT&T still requires a data plan. They also claim some standard phones as smartphones and force you to have a data plan. So in some circumstances some of AT&T customers may be paying for data that they are incapable of accessing. This by definition may constitute as fraud due to their lack of knowledge or refusal to acknowledge what a smartphone is. I have been researching other service providers and am finding the same situation. I am being indifferent to the situation however I am an AT&T customer so the other service providers do not concern me at this moment in time.
They should have a definition that they abide by due to there policy that all smartphones require data plans. Although almost all smartphones can access wifi and can terminate cellular data under settings AT&T still requires a data plan. They also claim some standard phones as smartphones and force you to have a data plan. So in some circumstances some of AT&T customers may be paying for data that they are incapable of accessing. This by definition may constitute as fraud due to their lack of knowledge or refusal to acknowledge what a smartphone is. I have been researching other service providers and am finding the same situation. I am being indifferent to the situation however I am an AT&T customer so the other service providers do not concern me at this moment in time.

7 of 19 (989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 11:18:39 AM
(0)
Teacher
Oh and I as said previously the phones are stated as quick messaging phones by the manufacturer. Not smartphones.
Oh and I as said previously the phones are stated as quick messaging phones by the manufacturer. Not smartphones.

8 of 19 (989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 2:29:14 PM
(0)
Expert

Ironsoul24 wrote:

the tech has 1 right - the Tank is the only basic phone of the 3 that you listed

if this was a ATT CS I am surprised they even knew what Blue and the Tank are. Until you mentioned it neither myself nor the people I work with ever heard of the brand

Can find no reference to a viva or a samba on their website

Ironsoul24 wrote:

the tech has 1 right - the Tank is the only basic phone of the 3 that you listed

if this was a ATT CS I am surprised they even knew what Blue and the Tank are. Until you mentioned it neither myself nor the people I work with ever heard of the brand

Can find no reference to a viva or a samba on their website

9 of 19 (964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 2:32:40 PM
(0)
Expert

Ironsoul24 wrote:

there are 2 Tanks, one a basic messaging phone and the other an android, as I said in the previous reply, can find no reference to a viva or a samba, you sure you don't mean vivo which is a smartphone

Tank 4.5

The Tank 4.5 is definately a smartphone by Blu's definition - it runs the Android OS

http://bluproducts.com/index.php/tank-4-5#speclife

Tank

http://bluproducts.com/index.php/tank#tankspecs

Ironsoul24 wrote:

there are 2 Tanks, one a basic messaging phone and the other an android, as I said in the previous reply, can find no reference to a viva or a samba, you sure you don't mean vivo which is a smartphone

Tank 4.5

The Tank 4.5 is definately a smartphone by Blu's definition - it runs the Android OS

http://bluproducts.com/index.php/tank-4-5#speclife

Tank

http://bluproducts.com/index.php/tank#tankspecs

10 of 19 (964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 3:02:24 PM
(0)
Teacher
This BLU Samba TV Q170T Dual-SIM Cell Phone (Unlocked) is compatible with GSM networks.

BLU Samba TV Q170T GSM Dual-SIM Cell Phone (Unlocked):

Sound and Music:

MP3 player
MP3 ring tones
Vibration alerts
microSD slot
Mobile Features:
Bluetooth v.3.0
GPRS 850/900/1800/1900 (2G)
microUSB 2.0 port
VGA megapixel camera
Video capable
MP4 player
Technical Profile:
Battery: Li-Ion
Display:
TFT, 65k color screen
Resolution: 220 x 176
Trackball navigation
Messaging:
SMS and MMS
Email
Included:
Battery
USB cable
Charger
This BLU Samba TV Q170T Dual-SIM Cell Phone (Unlocked) is compatible with GSM networks.

BLU Samba TV Q170T GSM Dual-SIM Cell Phone (Unlocked):

Sound and Music:

MP3 player
MP3 ring tones
Vibration alerts
microSD slot
Mobile Features:
Bluetooth v.3.0
GPRS 850/900/1800/1900 (2G)
microUSB 2.0 port
VGA megapixel camera
Video capable
MP4 player
Technical Profile:
Battery: Li-Ion
Display:
TFT, 65k color screen
Resolution: 220 x 176
Trackball navigation
Messaging:
SMS and MMS
Email
Included:
Battery
USB cable
Charger

11 of 19 (956 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 3:05:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

BLU Diva T272T GSM Dual SIM Cell Phone, Black (Unlocked):

Sound and Music:

MP3/AAC/WMA/WAV player
MP3 ring tones
Vibration alerts
microSD slot
Mobile Features:
Bluetooth v3.0
GSM 850/900/1800/1900
microUSB port
Camera
Video capable
Downloadable games
MP4/H.264/WMV player
Technical Profile:
BLU GSM Phone talk time: up to 12-hours
Unlocked BLU Phones standby time: up to 600-hours
Battery: Li-Ion 820 mAh battery
Display:
TFT, 256K color screen
Resolution: 240 x 320
Messaging:
SMS and MMS
Included with Unlocked BLU Phones:
Battery
USB cable
Charger

BLU Diva T272T GSM Dual SIM Cell Phone, Black (Unlocked):

Sound and Music:

MP3/AAC/WMA/WAV player
MP3 ring tones
Vibration alerts
microSD slot
Mobile Features:
Bluetooth v3.0
GSM 850/900/1800/1900
microUSB port
Camera
Video capable
Downloadable games
MP4/H.264/WMV player
Technical Profile:
BLU GSM Phone talk time: up to 12-hours
Unlocked BLU Phones standby time: up to 600-hours
Battery: Li-Ion 820 mAh battery
Display:
TFT, 256K color screen
Resolution: 240 x 320
Messaging:
SMS and MMS
Included with Unlocked BLU Phones:
Battery
USB cable
Charger

12 of 19 (955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 3:07:15 PM
(0)
Teacher
Please don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about its insulting. Top search on bing.
Please don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about its insulting. Top search on bing.

13 of 19 (954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 9:39:22 AM
(0)
Expert

Ironsoul24 wrote:

Not assuming anything, I took my information from the corporations website, I do not trust e-bay or any other online sites to provide accurate information on the capabilities of an advertised device since the specifications are most likely entered by the entity trying to sell the device.

The 3 phones that you mentioned where  tank, viva, and samba. I will guess that you meant Diva instead of viva, with the model numbers I went back to the corporations web site and looked at the diva that phone is definately a basic QMD device, the other device is the  Samba TV Q170T, that device is no longer manufactured by Blu, it was replaced with the Samba W, which again looks like it is no longer available since the link to it's specifications is gone. The Samba TV model was apparently replaced by the Jenny TV 2.8, again all of these are basic QMD devices. You mentioned the Tank in one of your posts, there are 2 devices with this name (Tank and Tank 4.5), one of them is a Smartphone since it runs that Android OS the other is a basic QMD device.

You never mentioned what tech gave you this information, but there is a pretty good chance that they are wrong. I am agreeing with you that with the exception of the tank 4.5 they are all basic qmd devices and more then likely will not be detected as a device that requires a data plan. If you are still concerned about this why not go with one of the att gophone plans that do not require data for any device basic QMD or smartphone alike

Ironsoul24 wrote:

Not assuming anything, I took my information from the corporations website, I do not trust e-bay or any other online sites to provide accurate information on the capabilities of an advertised device since the specifications are most likely entered by the entity trying to sell the device.

The 3 phones that you mentioned where  tank, viva, and samba. I will guess that you meant Diva instead of viva, with the model numbers I went back to the corporations web site and looked at the diva that phone is definately a basic QMD device, the other device is the  Samba TV Q170T, that device is no longer manufactured by Blu, it was replaced with the Samba W, which again looks like it is no longer available since the link to it's specifications is gone. The Samba TV model was apparently replaced by the Jenny TV 2.8, again all of these are basic QMD devices. You mentioned the Tank in one of your posts, there are 2 devices with this name (Tank and Tank 4.5), one of them is a Smartphone since it runs that Android OS the other is a basic QMD device.

You never mentioned what tech gave you this information, but there is a pretty good chance that they are wrong. I am agreeing with you that with the exception of the tank 4.5 they are all basic qmd devices and more then likely will not be detected as a device that requires a data plan. If you are still concerned about this why not go with one of the att gophone plans that do not require data for any device basic QMD or smartphone alike

14 of 19 (911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 10:49:34 AM
(0)
Teacher
Well I am leaving AT&T now anyways. I don't believe as a paying customer that I should have to constantly watch what my service provider offers in order to keep them honest. I am also on a family plan in which I save money through AT&T, supposedly. My wife enjoys the non data capabilities of her my touch, but I do use data on my Iphone in which I have no problem in paying for the service. This discussion was slightly about the blu phone in which I knew already the multiple techs I spoke to did not know what they were doing. Due to that fact of the techs ignorance I started this post about smartphone definition. I do not believe this is to much to ask for. I will not accept anything less than this, this I also hold to myself in my own business dealings. I always have a clear definition up front of what I do and what services are provided. I pay attention to my customers and carefully explain all policies that apply to their situation. I make it a purpose to understand my company and help our customers choose the right path in their service. This includes possible fees. I don't hand them a paper to sign with out fully reviewing it with them. But anyways this discussion has lost all capabilities of being productive. From what I am witnessing AT&T is unwilling to admit fault by misrepresentation through their employees, who if I could recall their names I would not post anyways, and I am to set in my code of honor, ethics, and morality to accept anything less without a decent explanation. The reason I would not post names is because it was so clear that the training the employees receive was not complete. It was abundant through the multiple calls I had made, which numbered to a total of 13 calls.

Sent from my iPhone
Well I am leaving AT&T now anyways. I don't believe as a paying customer that I should have to constantly watch what my service provider offers in order to keep them honest. I am also on a family plan in which I save money through AT&T, supposedly. My wife enjoys the non data capabilities of her my touch, but I do use data on my Iphone in which I have no problem in paying for the service. This discussion was slightly about the blu phone in which I knew already the multiple techs I spoke to did not know what they were doing. Due to that fact of the techs ignorance I started this post about smartphone definition. I do not believe this is to much to ask for. I will not accept anything less than this, this I also hold to myself in my own business dealings. I always have a clear definition up front of what I do and what services are provided. I pay attention to my customers and carefully explain all policies that apply to their situation. I make it a purpose to understand my company and help our customers choose the right path in their service. This includes possible fees. I don't hand them a paper to sign with out fully reviewing it with them. But anyways this discussion has lost all capabilities of being productive. From what I am witnessing AT&T is unwilling to admit fault by misrepresentation through their employees, who if I could recall their names I would not post anyways, and I am to set in my code of honor, ethics, and morality to accept anything less without a decent explanation. The reason I would not post names is because it was so clear that the training the employees receive was not complete. It was abundant through the multiple calls I had made, which numbered to a total of 13 calls.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Time for clear smartphone definition by AT

15 of 19 (907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 11:05:08 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, Ironsoul24!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about all the confusion surrounding the definition of the term "smartphone." We would certainly be sad to see you leave. To view the definition of a "smartphone" as outlined by AT&T, please click on the link below.

What is a smartphone?

Please let me know if this helps. If not, we can definitely chat via private message if you click here, and our managers can discuss alternatives to smartphones.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, Ironsoul24!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about all the confusion surrounding the definition of the term "smartphone." We would certainly be sad to see you leave. To view the definition of a "smartphone" as outlined by AT&T, please click on the link below.

What is a smartphone?

Please let me know if this helps. If not, we can definitely chat via private message if you click here, and our managers can discuss alternatives to smartphones.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

16 of 19 (903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 11:43:34 AM
(0)
Teacher
Well I read your description of an iPhone and have seen you charge for capabilities that are offered by the manufacturer and do not pertain to AT&T besides the cellular data. By this explanation Walmart should be able to charge me a monthly fee for purchasing a iPod touch since this is a MP3 player beyond the capabilities of an iPod nano. And to avoid confusion the device in question is a tmobile purchased MyTouch with no AT&T software installed so no proprietary features what so ever. This phone did not use data due to the fact I deactivated the cellular data. What legal right do you have to charge a service fee for something u do not own or have any connection to besides minutes used by this phone. It does not even have the capabilities to access anything higher than 2g on AT&T's network due to the different frequencies AT&T uses on 3G and 4g. I believe tmobile and google may have legal standing to sue since AT&T has been charging for their software. I will notify them.

Sent from my iPhone
Well I read your description of an iPhone and have seen you charge for capabilities that are offered by the manufacturer and do not pertain to AT&T besides the cellular data. By this explanation Walmart should be able to charge me a monthly fee for purchasing a iPod touch since this is a MP3 player beyond the capabilities of an iPod nano. And to avoid confusion the device in question is a tmobile purchased MyTouch with no AT&T software installed so no proprietary features what so ever. This phone did not use data due to the fact I deactivated the cellular data. What legal right do you have to charge a service fee for something u do not own or have any connection to besides minutes used by this phone. It does not even have the capabilities to access anything higher than 2g on AT&T's network due to the different frequencies AT&T uses on 3G and 4g. I believe tmobile and google may have legal standing to sue since AT&T has been charging for their software. I will notify them.

Sent from my iPhone

17 of 19 (900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 1:06:34 PM
(0)
Teacher
Here's another issue with this predicament. http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0183-mystery-phone-charges

Sent from my iPhone
Here's another issue with this predicament. http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0183-mystery-phone-charges

Sent from my iPhone

18 of 19 (892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 1:52:51 PM
(0)
Expert

Ironsoul24 wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

That has been around since the early days of wireless and the touch tone phone, it happens with all carriers. ATT and other carriers have a resolution for this issue, called purchase block. It is a feature you need to call in to the carrier and turn it on per telephone number. ATT and other carriers will refund the charge as long as it is caught by the end user.

Ironsoul24 wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

That has been around since the early days of wireless and the touch tone phone, it happens with all carriers. ATT and other carriers have a resolution for this issue, called purchase block. It is a feature you need to call in to the carrier and turn it on per telephone number. ATT and other carriers will refund the charge as long as it is caught by the end user.

19 of 19 (879 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments