There must be a way to register a complaint about ATT billing practices

Tutor

There must be a way to register a complaint about ATT billing practices

I have had an AT&T account for over a decade. For a while, my wife and I shared a 1GB Mobile Share Plan. Then, AT&T began offering the 10GB Mobile Share Plan for the same price we were paying for 1GB. I read the details presented to try and find "the catch", but AT&T's information indicated everything would be the same. So I changed plans.

Wrong move. My next bill was over $50 higher than my previous months' bill. Thus was due to the fact that a credit for our two phone lines would not be phased in until two months had elapsed. AT&T never disclosed the fact that the credit would be delayed. AT&T's online chat representative was slow and unresponsive to my questions and concerns, only adding to my frustrations.

There must be a way in which customers can register complaints about AT&T's inadequate pricing disclosures, without having to make some poor customer service representative (who can't do anything about it) sit there and mouth niceties in an attempt to placate our frustrations.

AT&T Complaint Department, if you're reading, you should do a better job as a company in identifying your hidden costs and fees to customers. If you're going to advertise a plan at a specific price, you should give customers that price, instead of relying on gimmicks like pending discounts that don't kick in for months. I am severely disappointed in this company, and am seriously considering moving my service once my contract is up. Not only was the pricing situation a disappointment, but the fact that you provide no avenue for complaints and no manner for taking responsibility for these cheap tricks and ploys only adds to my growing frustration.

Message 1 of 24 (1,986 Views)
Employee

Re: There must be a way to register a complaint about ATT billing practices

There should be no delay for the credits to phase in.

There is also no catch. Everything should be in back and white.

A 10 GIG Plan is $100 for your bucket of data. Each SmartPhone on this plan is $15 or $40 a month depending on its criteria.

If you signed a two year agreement prior to Feb 1 2014, are under no contract, or sign the next installment plan you qualify for the $15 price. If you sign a two year agreement after Feb 1 2014, you will pay the $40 until the two year agreement is up, at which point it will revert to the $15 line pricing.

There is no delay to my knowledge, and this is the first I am hearing about this.

Could the increase in your bill be proration?

Did you sign a contract after Feb 1 of this year which would put you on the $40 line charge instead of $15?

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 24 (1,963 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

"If you signed a two year agreement prior to Feb 1 2014, are under no contract, or sign the next installment plan you qualify for the $15 price. If you sign a two year agreement after Feb 1 2014, you will pay the $40 until the two year agreement is up, at which point it will revert to the $15 line pricing"

Are you abolutely sure of this.  That is what I was told by three employees before I switched over the the Share Plan.  But many people that have received their bill are reporting that they are charged $40 per line when they were expecting $15.  ATT doesn't seem to be honoring the $15 price unless previous customers that convert are beyond their two year contract.  Is ATT going to charge me $40 per line unitl my previous contract expires or $40 per line for the next two years?  Does any ATT employee know?

Message 3 of 24 (1,908 Views)
Expert

dave.m2bits wrote:

"If you signed a two year agreement prior to Feb 1 2014, are under no contract, or sign the next installment plan you qualify for the $15 price. If you sign a two year agreement after Feb 1 2014, you will pay the $40 until the two year agreement is up, at which point it will revert to the $15 line pricing"

Are you abolutely sure of this.  That is what I was told by three employees before I switched over the the Share Plan.  But many people that have received their bill are reporting that they are charged $40 per line when they were expecting $15.  ATT doesn't seem to be honoring the $15 price unless previous customers that convert are beyond their two year contract.  Is ATT going to charge me $40 per line unitl my previous contract expires or $40 per line for the next two years?  Does any ATT employee know?

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=yKiX0roX6QJ

Message 4 of 24 (1,900 Views)
Teacher

This has happened to me as well.

I was previously on a 2-line plan that was somewhere around $152 a month, so about a week ago I requested to swap to the mobile share 10 GB plan, which is listed as $130 a month for 2 lines. I specified that it was to take effect immediately upon my next bill cycle (i was about a week away from the current billing cycle ending).

My bill showed up as being significantly higher at $190 a month. When I checked the items listed, it did list that I had the mobile share 10 GB for $100, but then that each phone line was $40 instead of the advertised $15/line.

I talked to the online chat support and didn't really get anything worthwhile of an answer. The person claimed that the system delays the $15/month by 1-2 additional billing cycles (she didn't really do a very good job of explaining why though). She also claimed (or at least to what I could understand) that all the overcharged amount gets applied to future bills once the $15/month rate takes place, but I'm not sure if she actually explained it as such as her wording was terrible on it.

I just want to know if that was true, and if so, why is it that the $15/line rate is delayed while all the other rates/fees are applied instantly? Is it just a cheap tactic to steal some extra money from us?

Message 5 of 24 (1,886 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

[ Edited ]

I was told about a delay of a few months as well in my online support chat-

Support: As I double check, the $15/line will take effect after 1-2 billing cycles and it will automatically adjusted once it takes effect.
Me: So despite me switching to mobile share which is currently effective, the actual price of $15 is not effective?
Support: Yes, not yet effective. But don't worry, it will be automatically adjusted once it is effective.
Me: Is there any reason for why it is delayed 1-2 billing cycles while the rest of the rates are changed immediately?
Support: Actually the plan is already effective, it's just that the $15/line has a delay.
Me: That's not really answering my question as to why the $15/line price is delayed while all of the other fees/rates change immediately
Support: Let me double check.
Support: Upon verifying the effectivity of this plan, it's the system who will determine the actual activation of the new rates per line. It is normally 1-2 billing cycles.

Message 6 of 24 (1,884 Views)
Scholar

I was told if you had a phone under contract that was entered into before Feb 1st, 2014 it would be treated as a non contracted phone under the Mobile Share Value Plan and be charged at $15 per month. I will get my new bill in 11 days and I am not paying any phased in rate plan. This is about the poorest excuse yet for screwing up a bill and charging you more than you were paying before.

There are way too many of these $40 per line instead of the $15 per line charges.

Message 7 of 24 (1,881 Views)
Tutor

I am in the same boat.  I was told the price would be $130 for 10gb and 2 lines. Instead of $15 each phone I was charged $40 and ATT would not credit my account even though there was a system billing "glitch."

I reported ATT to the FCC for deceptive billing practices. 

Message 8 of 24 (1,836 Views)
Expert

Dlfl wrote:

I am in the same boat.  I was told the price would be $130 for 10gb and 2 lines. Instead of $15 each phone I was charged $40 and ATT would not credit my account even though there was a system billing "glitch."

I reported ATT to the FCC for deceptive billing practices. 

Question on the 2 lines where they under a 2 year agreement? According to the website only smartphones on the next plan or ones that have no service commitment are eligible for the 15.00 a month cost

Message 9 of 24 (1,815 Views)
Guru

It's so odd. I've seen this thread and another with others having the same issue. For some reason, on mine, it worked out fine and I get charged 40 dollars but also get a 25 dollar credit for each line. All my lines are under contract. I switched to the 10 gb plan before feb 2nd. Did you guys switch after that time?

Message 10 of 24 (1,810 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

ujmnz wrote:

It's so odd. I've seen this thread and another with others having the same issue. For some reason, on mine, it worked out fine and I get charged 40 dollars but also get a 25 dollar credit for each line. All my lines are under contract. I switched to the 10 gb plan before feb 2nd. Did you guys switch after that time?

ujmnz wrote:

This is the exact wording from the plan advertisement showing the $15 price per line for exising customers under contract.

"existing customers, including those on a 2-year agreement before February 2, 2014, can easily move to these plans. Sign up today!"

Is there anything more plain than this.

PS: The Mobile Share Value Plan we are discussing didn't start till till Feb 1st so you couldn't have signed up for this plan till then.

Message 11 of 24 (1,801 Views)
Guru

T-Boy wrote:

ujmnz wrote:

ujmnz wrote:

This is the exact wording from the plan advertisement showing the $15 price per line for exising customers under contract.

"existing customers, including those on a 2-year agreement before February 2, 2014, can easily move to these plans. Sign up today!"

Is there anything more plain than this.

Some customers like myself are getting the correct pricing. Just trying to see what the differences are between people getting correct pricing vs incorrect pricing. I switched to the mobile share value on feb 1 knowing this change was coming. Just wondering when others changed or if they had it before feb 2

Message 12 of 24 (1,797 Views)
Scholar

I am sure some of them received new contracted phones at a substidized price after Feb 2 because this was not made clear for many people. My first bill comes in about 10 days and I will see what happens.

Does AT&T think people changed plans with the same phones and same lines to pay more each month.

My problem is when I asked to go back to my old plan 2 weeks after changing I was told I couldn't go back. Then a different department said they would submit my request and see what happens. I finally decided to wait 9 more months and all my phones would be out of contract and I will go with the best deal.

This is if my lines are billed at $15 and not $40.

Message 13 of 24 (1,774 Views)
Community Support

@otomax ,

Would you like for us to review this for you? We'd be happy to help.  If you send us a private message by clicking here one of our managers will be in touch.  Include your full name, account number, contact information and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 24 (1,642 Views)
Contributor

This happened to me too.  I changed from the "Family Talk" plan to the data plan -- 10 GB, 2 phones at $15/each/month because I had a contract prior to 2/1.  I signed up online after getting the info at an AT&T store.  Employee must have forgotten to give me page 2 of the printout with the fine print (I now know it is footnote #6) telling me that if I signed up for another 2-year contract that the price would go up to $40/phone.  Later, I upgraded my phones and now my bill is $50+tax higher.  The only reason I did the 10GB of data is because the employee convinced me to since it would be the same price as 8GB (because the per month phone price was $15 lower)  Now I can't get my old plan back, nor can I change to 6GB or 8GB for advertised prices.  To change my plan to 6GB will cost $160 month just for data PLUS $80 for phones.   I got screwed for being a loyal (10-11 year) customer.

I haven't decided whether to pay this for 2 years and then go to another service or whether to pay $650 to break my contract.  It really bothers me to associate with a company that has so little respect for their customers.  I feel like I have been a victim of a bate-and-switch scam.

Message 15 of 24 (1,429 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.