Posted Jan 11, 2014
3:47:11 AM
View profile
The worst coverage I have ever seen

Dropped calls, no coverage in my area at all so how does AT&T get away with providing such terrible service (apparently mine is not the only area that suffers from what I've read here) and charge so much for it.  if I ran my business this way, I'd be out of business.

I have contacted support and they say they are sorry about it (I don't believe that for one minute) and never offer a solution.

Now, it will cost me over $300 to early terminate my service and I consider this another the ultimate in disrespect.  Why should I pay them to terminate a service that doesn't work?

OK, OK I know there's no answer to this.  AT&T is an all mighty huge corporation that is one of the powers behind the Federal Government.  They are God-like and I am merely human.  My bad.

The worst coverage I have ever seen

7 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 8:00:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

I agree that there should be an easier way out if there is no coverage in your area. However, you shouldn't look at the ETF as a penalty.  AT&T sold you a phone at a deeply discounted price and in return, you signed a contract to stay with them for 24 months.  The ETF is AT&T's way to recoup the discount they gave you when you started the service.  You will still own the phone when you leave, and there are many ways to sell the phone (eBay, Craig's List) or use it as a trade-in for another provider, in order to get back some or all of that ETF.

Even if you canceled your service within the first 14 days when you could have determined that the coverage in your area was insufficient, the restocking fee and usage fee for those days could cost you $75 or more and you wouldn't have been able to recoup any of that.

After examining the coverage maps carefully down to the street level when I switched to AT&T, I found the coverage inside my house weak enough that I'd occasionally miss a call.  That was solved with a Microcell, and I now have 4 to 5 bars throughout the house.  Perhaps that is an option.

Good Luck.

Re: The worst coverage I have ever seen

2 of 8 (701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 10:34:43 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, roban!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear that the coverage in your area is inadequate. TWC makes some great points. Have you looked into getting a microcell? To find out whether a microcell is right for you, please click on the link below.

AT&T 3G Microcell

If you have a smartphone, you can also use AT&T's Mark the Spot app to report coverage issues. For more information about this app and how to download it, click on the link below.

AT&T's Mark the Spot

Let me know if this helps!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 8 (689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 10:48:35 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have a Microcell for my office.  The coverage I am concerned about is my entire town and don't tell me please that I should have checked before buying because AT&T advertizes their great coverage.  If they can't give normal service they should cheefully refund your money.  And I didn't get my phone at a great discount.  I paid almost retail.

4 of 8 (685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 3:37:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

roban wrote:

I have a Microcell for my office.  The coverage I am concerned about is my entire town and don't tell me please that I should have checked before buying because AT&T advertizes their great coverage.  If they can't give normal service they should cheefully refund your money.  And I didn't get my phone at a great discount.  I paid almost retail.

OK, think of the ETF as tuition.  You've just been through the School of Hard Knocks and learned the following:

Lesson 1.  Don't believe all the hoopla you see/hear/read in advertisements.  Check the wireless coverage map yourself.  I'm sure you will do this before selecting another carrier.

Lesson 2.  Test out the coverage within the window provided by the carrier for canceling without an ETF rather than wait months to decide that the coverage is inadequate. I'm sure you will do this with your next carrier..

Lesson 3. Don't lock yourself into a 24 month contract if you still are paying "almost retail" for the phone. You should be getting at least an equivalent of the full ETF in discount to make a contract worthwhile.

Lesson 4.  If you come here with a rant, and then slam anyone who tries to help, you won't be getting any sympathy.  

Hope you have graduated with a little more intelligence about picking your next carrier.

5 of 8 (655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 1:14:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am not able to get service at my house. I pay $400.00 a month to AT&T for cell phones & I am not able to use them at my house. I talked with  AT&T customer service and they told me I was eligible for a 3G MicroCell tower but I would have to pay $199.99 for it. She said that other people in my area have MicroCells & they work well for them. I know that at one time AT&T gave out these MicroCells for free to the people in my area because we cant get signal and there isnt a tower going up anytime soon. But apparently I missed out on receiving a free MicroCell. The customer service person told me that there isnt anything AT&T can do. I told her that I was going to send a letter of complaint to AT&T as well as post to this forum and complain about the fact that I cant receive a free MicroCell.  

6 of 8 (604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 6:22:17 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, Bassfishing!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing poor coverage at your house. It sounds like a microcell would definitely help. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can explore your options.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen for a response. 

Meanwhile, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 8 (578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 12:24:18 PM
(0)
Guru

While you should never include any PII ("personal identifiable information"), some reference to your make of phone and the town you are in would help.  In some communities doing things like turning off LTE and forcing your phone to HSPA may help.  If a community is slated for a build out, we might be able to also help you.

I know you are at the point of frustration, but we are not ATT employees (at least most of us).  I can't waive an early termination fee for you, but I might have practical suggestions.

Additionally, as someone who has worked around the world and occasionally had to hang out windows to get a signal, I doubt that the signal is as bad as some of the places I've been.  People notice where they do not have coverage.  They rarely notice where they have it and others don't.  You only need to talk to Sprint and MetroPCS subscribers to see how much worse it can get. 

8 of 8 (517 Views)