The "insurance" you offer is fake

Mentor

Re: The "insurance" you offer is fake

Wingrider what you just said makes no sense at all. You don't "owe" the insurance company $49, you overpaid them by $49. But that's not even true in this case, because Asurion agrees to replace your phone, not to replace the value of your phone. Of course Asurion has a horrible track record in actually fulfilling their agreement, but that really goes without saying at this point.

Message 16 of 43 (1,586 Views)
Employee

None of you have considered that the sales representative also is required to hold a certain percentage of insurance sales and their jobs are contingent on selling it to some extent. It's their jobs to advise the customer of the deductible but as said before the $200 deductible is far less than the retail value of replacing the device (5s starts at $649.99). Also, I've put my devices under my homeowners insurance which is better value. Either way, I would rather spend $200 over $650. That also said in the past when I have bought the insurance I've left it on for 90-180 days and then removed as statistics show that's when most issues take place. This comes down to knowing (as a consumer) what you're getting into
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 43 (1,579 Views)
Mentor

The OP insured an iPhone 4S which does not retail for $650. And his complaint was that Asurion failed to offer him an iPhone 4S as replacement, but rather offered him a lesser device.

So for those of you continuing to defend AT&T and Asurion, please carefully read b
Message 18 of 43 (1,556 Views)
Mentor

both mine and the OPs posts before responding with your excuses for AT&T and Asurion's legalized insurance scam.
Message 19 of 43 (1,555 Views)
Employee

Its not an excuse, everything I said was 100% accurate. Also, if you read my post I use my homeowners insurance. I used the 5s as an example.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 20 of 43 (1,550 Views)
Expert

kpryan1982 wrote:

Wingrider what you just said makes no sense at all. You don't "owe" the insurance company $49, you overpaid them by $49. But that's not even true in this case, because Asurion agrees to replace your phone, not to replace the value of your phone. Of course Asurion has a horrible track record in actually fulfilling their agreement, but that really goes without saying at this point.

If you take the response in context to the message it was pointed at, then yes it makes 100 percent sense. Asurion states they will replace the device with a similiar model NOT the exact model. The deductable is based on the retail price of the device not the heavily subsidized price of the device that you paid and agreed to a 2 year contract for that price reduction. Bottom line if you did not have insurace and where still under contract your choice would be to replace the device at a full retail price if you want new or pay the etf and get out of contract.

the response was a whimsical answer to the post quoted

Message 21 of 43 (1,548 Views)
Expert

kpryan1982 wrote:
both mine and the OPs posts before responding with your excuses for AT&T and Asurion's legalized insurance scam.

if you feel it is a scam, then don;t buy it - your choice. I have all the phones on my home owners policy as a rider - full cost of replacement with a 50.00 deducatable

Message 22 of 43 (1,547 Views)
Mentor

Your argument is not relevant nor accurate. First of all OPs phone was not worth $650. Maybe instead of the most expensive smart phone, use the average smartphone as an example. Secondly, Asurion failed to offer him a replacement for the same model he insured, instead offering him something of lesser value. Thus, they tried to rip him off.
Message 23 of 43 (1,547 Views)
Employee

Did it occur to you that if AT&T no longer carries the 16g model because of the manufacturer's choice that Asurion would also not have that model? I'm not standing up for Asurion, I don't use them, but sometimes people need to think things through. As wing rider wrote, use your homeowners
Employee Contributor*
Message 24 of 43 (1,546 Views)
Mentor

Actually wingrider your "owe the company $49" doesn't make sense in any context. If you file a claim on $150 phone and they replace it for you, you would pay a $200 deductible thus overpaying them by $49 plus the premiums. You never at any point owe them $49, which is what you said. So, what you said made no sense.
Message 25 of 43 (1,545 Views)
Expert

kpryan1982 wrote:
Your argument is not relevant nor accurate. First of all OPs phone was not worth $650. Maybe instead of the most expensive smart phone, use the average smartphone as an example. Secondly, Asurion failed to offer him a replacement for the same model he insured, instead offering him something of lesser value. Thus, they tried to rip him off.

If you take the time to actually read and understand the documentation that is available on any insurance policy it specificly states that the device will be replaced with a similiar unots if the exact device is not available at the time - they don;t get a new device, they get a refurbished device, again f the contract was examined and read it would be self evident. reading if fundemental, especially when it ia a contractully binding agreement. It realy does not matter what the device was / is worth, the deducatable is based on the retail price NOT the price you paid for it. If you have ever gotten a quote for auto insurance they ask what is the STICKER price of the vehicle, not what did you pay for the vehicle.

Message 26 of 43 (1,546 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

kpryan1982 wrote:
Actually wingrider your "owe the company $49" doesn't make sense in any context. If you file a claim on $150 phone and they replace it for you, you would pay a $200 deductible thus overpaying them by $49 plus the premiums. You never at any point owe them $49, which is what you said. So, what you said made no sense.

If you ignore the post that it was directed at then yes, try taking it in context of the replied to post. Again you are basing it on current used price of a item, NOT the cost that the deductable is base on. the amount is given up front inthe documentation, if you did not read it then it is your issue

Message 27 of 43 (1,545 Views)
Mentor

OP was not informed of the deductible at point of sale, a failure of AT&T since their salespeople are required to provide this information at sale.

OP was offered a replacement device that did not meet the specs of the device being replaced, a failure of Asurion since they promise to replace your device with a similar one, not a lesser one.

If any of you are going to continue to criticize OP and others who been scammed by AT&T and Asurion, please directly address the two above issues.
Message 28 of 43 (1,541 Views)
Mentor

Also wingrider, please tell me which definition of the word "owe" needs to be used for your comment to make sense.
Message 29 of 43 (1,539 Views)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

kpryan1982 wrote:

If you take the time to actually read and understand the documentation that is available on any insurance policy it specificly states that the device will be replaced with a similiar unots if the exact device is not available at the time - they don;t get a new device, they get a refurbished device, again f the contract was examined and read it would be self evident. reading if fundemental, especially when it ia a contractully binding agreement. It realy does not matter what the device was / is worth, the deducatable is based on the retail price NOT the price you paid for it. If you have ever gotten a quote for auto insurance they ask what is the STICKER price of the vehicle, not what did you pay for the vehicle.

You are the ones who need to read more carefully. The OP said there was an option of "insurance claim $200," which means they offered $200 for the phone. That is what I was referring to, and if that is not what the company actually does, it is not my fault that the OP provided false information.

Moreover, your claim that all insurance companies offer replacement value is completely wrong. There may be a handful of companies that do offer replacement value, but the vast majority cap your recovery at the depreciated value (for example, car insurance caps your recovery at the current Blue Book value of your car). Since you have already gotten use out of your product before getting it replaced, it doesn't really even make sense for you to get the full purchase price.

Message 30 of 43 (1,503 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.