The Myth of Unlimited Data and the Unfortunate Decline of AT&T Service

Tutor

The Myth of Unlimited Data and the Unfortunate Decline of AT&T Service

[ Edited ]

I too have just spend a very frustrating Sunday morning trying to make sense out of AT&Ts attitude toward customer loyalty. I've had a multi line and data plan for many years at not insignificant cost. Today I attempted 2 things

1, Add an IPad to my data plan, I'd heard this would cost an extra $10 per month. This was declined unless I gave up my unlimited data plan in favor of a shared limited plan

2. Activate personal hotspot on my Iphone. This too was declined unless I give up my unlimited data plan  costing $30 per month for a limited 5gb plan costing $50 per month.

Needless to say very disappointing and I'm now heading for the nearest T Mobile store ...

Message 1 of 5 (5,015 Views)
Expert

Re: The Myth of Unlimited Data and the Unfortunate Decline of AT&T Service

[ Edited ]

Hydeheath wrote:

I too have just spend a very frustrating Sunday morning trying to make sense out of AT&Ts attitude toward customer loyalty. I've had a multi line and data plan for many years at not insignificant cost. Today I attempted 2 things

1, Add an IPad to my data plan, I'd heard this would cost an extra $10 per month. This was declined unless I gave up my unlimited data plan in favor of a shared limited plan

2. Activate personal hotspot on my Iphone. This too was declined unless I give up my unlimited data plan  costing $30 per month for a limited 5gb plan costing $50 per month.

Needless to say very disappointing and I'm now heading for the nearest T Mobile store ...

1. this is actually logical, since your data plan is for a single device not multiple devices

2. again, logical, tethering or hotspor was never allowed on the unlimited plan even before it was discontinued, tethering was a addon feature that cost you 50.00 for a 5GB limit.

Good luck with t-mobile, be sire to examine their tos and fup real close so you don;t miss any of their retrictions, and donl;t forget to include your etf if still under contract and final bill into your budget. By the way if you plan on using your iphone be aware youwon;t be able to unlock it until your final bill and any other charges are paid

Message 2 of 5 (5,008 Views)
Tutor

Novel interpretation of logic to pay more for less !

No logic is apparent to me in your response or AT&T customer service, just gouging the customer ...

Interesting you mention unlocking the phone, that's something that AT&T promised but haven't delivered upon, at least not for me. I tried this a few months ago and received an email saying that next time I restored my phone in ITunes it would be unlocked. I went through process and called in the local Apple store to check it was unlocked, not really surprised when I was told it wasn't. Spent 30 mins or so in an on line chat with tech support who were 'unable to assist'.

Strike 3 - they're outa here

Message 3 of 5 (4,915 Views)
Expert

Hydeheath wrote:

Novel interpretation of logic to pay more for less !

No logic is apparent to me in your response or AT&T customer service, just gouging the customer ...

Interesting you mention unlocking the phone, that's something that AT&T promised but haven't delivered upon, at least not for me. I tried this a few months ago and received an email saying that next time I restored my phone in ITunes it would be unlocked. I went through process and called in the local Apple store to check it was unlocked, not really surprised when I was told it wasn't. Spent 30 mins or so in an on line chat with tech support who were 'unable to assist'.

Strike 3 - they're outa here

times like this show that att should have sunsetted the unlimited plan the exact way they got rid of the feature that allowed smartphones to not have data - they tied it to the device -  upgrade the device lose the feature. Verizon had the right idea -  want a subsidized upgrade then get rid of the discontinued unlimited plan, want to keep the unlimited plan they pay full price for the phone

Not sure what you are doing wrong but have unlocked a couple of iphones through att that are on my family plans.

Good luck with what ever carrier you go to, you will fond the rules are pretty much the same

Message 4 of 5 (4,897 Views)
Employee

Unlimited data will most likely never return. Here's why; LTE is capable of handling voice, within the next 5 years or I guesstimate that cellular will slowly fade away and stop being supported. Voice calls will move to LTE or VOLTE (Voice Over LTE). LTE data will be the standard for mobile devices and therefore will be the one of the very few associated costs from carriers. Just wanted to bring the reality forward of how this industry is moving.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 5 (4,870 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.