Temporary suspension of contract

Contributor

Temporary suspension of contract

I own a AT&T HTC One on contract. I will be travelling to India for about a month in December. Is there any way I can temporarily suspend my contract for a month, so that I can use a local carrier in India? I would want to resume my AT&T contract when I return.
Message 1 of 11 (808 Views)
Expert

Re: Temporary suspension of contract

tusharladha4895 wrote:
I own a AT&T HTC One on contract. I will be travelling to India for about a month in December. Is there any way I can temporarily suspend my contract for a month, so that I can use a local carrier in India? I would want to resume my AT&T contract when I return.

so you can use your HTC One over there - pretty sure the phone is locked to ATT's network

Message 2 of 11 (786 Views)
Contributor

What do you mean ? I know the phone is locked to AT&T's network. I'm asking
if AT&T can temporarily unlock it for a month so I can use it with another
SIM in India.
Message 3 of 11 (779 Views)
Scholar

There is no such thing as a "temporary phone unlock." Phones are not designed to be able to do that.

Message 4 of 11 (763 Views)
Expert

tusharladha4895 wrote:
What do you mean ? I know the phone is locked to AT&T's network. I'm asking
if AT&T can temporarily unlock it for a month so I can use it with another
SIM in India.

Doesn't exist, att will unlock a phone after the 3 year commitment is up if the device is eligible for unlock

Message 5 of 11 (758 Views)
Contributor

So I cannot use the phone while I'm out of the country ?
Message 6 of 11 (757 Views)
Professor

Not with another carrier's SIM unless the phone is unlocked. Since you're still under contract, AT&T won't unlock it.

Your best bet would be to buy a cheap phone while travelling or pay the international fees.

Message 7 of 11 (748 Views)
Employee

Or go online to see if unlock codes are available.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 11 (745 Views)
Expert

aGuyWhoKnows wrote:
Or go online to see if unlock codes are available.

might want to review the current regulations on this statement befor you make a suggestion

Message 9 of 11 (730 Views)
Contributor

Unlock code not available if device is under contract.

Message 10 of 11 (721 Views)
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello, tusharladha4895!

The previous posters are correct about unlocking devices after the contract term is fulfilled. However, we do offer quite a few international plans that may suit your needs while you're out of the country. To find out more about the different plans available, simply click on the link below. You can explore the different options available for your phone by clicking "Use the Travel Guide."

Travel Guide

Let me know if that helps!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 11 (713 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.