Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 4, 2013
10:40:45 AM
View profile
Temporary suspension of contract
I own a AT&T HTC One on contract. I will be travelling to India for about a month in December. Is there any way I can temporarily suspend my contract for a month, so that I can use a local carrier in India? I would want to resume my AT&T contract when I return.
I own a AT&T HTC One on contract. I will be travelling to India for about a month in December. Is there any way I can temporarily suspend my contract for a month, so that I can use a local carrier in India? I would want to resume my AT&T contract when I return.

Temporary suspension of contract

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 1:14:49 PM
(0)
Expert

tusharladha4895 wrote:

so you can use your HTC One over there - pretty sure the phone is locked to ATT's network

tusharladha4895 wrote:

so you can use your HTC One over there - pretty sure the phone is locked to ATT's network

Re: Temporary suspension of contract

2 of 11 (769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 1:44:40 PM
(0)
Contributor
What do you mean ? I know the phone is locked to AT&T's network. I'm asking
if AT&T can temporarily unlock it for a month so I can use it with another
SIM in India.
SIM in India.

3 of 11 (762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 3:31:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

There is no such thing as a "temporary phone unlock." Phones are not designed to be able to do that.

There is no such thing as a "temporary phone unlock." Phones are not designed to be able to do that.

4 of 11 (746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 4:11:48 PM
(0)
Expert

tusharladha4895 wrote:
SIM in India.

Doesn't exist, att will unlock a phone after the 3 year commitment is up if the device is eligible for unlock

tusharladha4895 wrote:
SIM in India.

Doesn't exist, att will unlock a phone after the 3 year commitment is up if the device is eligible for unlock

5 of 11 (741 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 4:15:40 PM
(0)
Contributor
So I cannot use the phone while I'm out of the country ?
So I cannot use the phone while I'm out of the country ?

6 of 11 (740 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 8:01:06 PM
(0)
Professor

Not with another carrier's SIM unless the phone is unlocked. Since you're still under contract, AT&T won't unlock it.

Your best bet would be to buy a cheap phone while travelling or pay the international fees.

Not with another carrier's SIM unless the phone is unlocked. Since you're still under contract, AT&T won't unlock it.

Your best bet would be to buy a cheap phone while travelling or pay the international fees.

7 of 11 (731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 9:15:45 PM
(0)
Employee
Or go online to see if unlock codes are available.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 11 (728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2013 5:26:42 AM
(0)
Expert

aGuyWhoKnows wrote:

might want to review the current regulations on this statement befor you make a suggestion

aGuyWhoKnows wrote:

might want to review the current regulations on this statement befor you make a suggestion

9 of 11 (713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2013 8:39:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

Unlock code not available if device is under contract.

Unlock code not available if device is under contract.

10 of 11 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2013 12:05:51 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, tusharladha4895!

The previous posters are correct about unlocking devices after the contract term is fulfilled. However, we do offer quite a few international plans that may suit your needs while you're out of the country. To find out more about the different plans available, simply click on the link below. You can explore the different options available for your phone by clicking "Use the Travel Guide."

Travel Guide

Let me know if that helps!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, tusharladha4895!

The previous posters are correct about unlocking devices after the contract term is fulfilled. However, we do offer quite a few international plans that may suit your needs while you're out of the country. To find out more about the different plans available, simply click on the link below. You can explore the different options available for your phone by clicking "Use the Travel Guide."

Travel Guide

Let me know if that helps!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 11 (696 Views)