Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 14, 2013
10:09:59 AM
View profile
TWC - Final Resolution to MicroCell Problems

Ok folks, here it is. Based on other research I've done and people I've talked to, AT&T can't do anything for you.  You've got to talk to TWC. And if they're not going to help you, then call  AT&T at 800.331.0500 or 611 from your AT&T wireless phone and talk to Customer Service to figure out what to do with your equipment.  But there's no point waiting on AT&T.  They can't do anything because of the security measures that TWC felt they had to make to their network. This does not make AT&T happy, and what it did to their customers, but it's out of their hands now. If you need to keep your AT&T cellular account, and want to continue to use your MicroCell, you might want to consider switching ISPs if possible.

Apparently TWC has told some of its customers that the incompatibility is due to macrocell (tower) firmware upgrades. That is false. If that were the case, then we'd be seeing reports from all around with different service providers. The problem, plain and simple, is blocked or redirected ports on the TWC side.

If I hear or learn of anything new, I will certainly post it if I can. But until then, I think this is a done deal.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Ok folks, here it is. Based on other research I've done and people I've talked to, AT&T can't do anything for you.  You've got to talk to TWC. And if they're not going to help you, then call  AT&T at 800.331.0500 or 611 from your AT&T wireless phone and talk to Customer Service to figure out what to do with your equipment.  But there's no point waiting on AT&T.  They can't do anything because of the security measures that TWC felt they had to make to their network. This does not make AT&T happy, and what it did to their customers, but it's out of their hands now. If you need to keep your AT&T cellular account, and want to continue to use your MicroCell, you might want to consider switching ISPs if possible.

Apparently TWC has told some of its customers that the incompatibility is due to macrocell (tower) firmware upgrades. That is false. If that were the case, then we'd be seeing reports from all around with different service providers. The problem, plain and simple, is blocked or redirected ports on the TWC side.

If I hear or learn of anything new, I will certainly post it if I can. But until then, I think this is a done deal.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

TWC - Final Resolution to MicroCell Problems

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 1:26:04 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Thank you for the update Otto Pylot!

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Thank you for the update Otto Pylot!

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: TWC - Final Resolution to MicroCell Problems

2 of 9 (1,533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 1:28:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You're welcome. I'm hoping that some of the TWC/MicroCell posters will post this in their TWC forum (I can't because I'm not a TWC customer) because it sounds like TWC is still spinning this as AT&T's fault. There's a link to their forums in a previous post to follow what's being said there.

You're welcome. I'm hoping that some of the TWC/MicroCell posters will post this in their TWC forum (I can't because I'm not a TWC customer) because it sounds like TWC is still spinning this as AT&T's fault. There's a link to their forums in a previous post to follow what's being said there.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (1,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 4:52:14 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by erturnerjr on Dec 27, 2013 at 4:57:26 PM

Otto Pylot,

It looks like I am back buddy!  3 days ago my microcell rebooted and has not successfully connected to AT&T since.  I have performed the following:

1. Rebooted the Microcell - No connection

2. Rebooted Microcell, Cable Modem(TWC) and Linksys Router - No connection

3. Connected my computer to the Microcell and connected the Microcell to my Cable Modem - No connection

4. I have contacted AT&T and they said it looks like port 500 or 4500 is being blocked - No resolution

5. I got a follow-up call today and they said this was an issue with TWC - No resolution

6. Called TWC and they said the the cable modem does not block ports (DUH...I'm not a dumba$$) and tried to tell me my Linksys router is probably the issue. I have been running this setup for 3 years and have made no changes to my router, not the isse - No resolution

At this moment I have changed the DNS in my router to use Google's public DNS, 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4, just to see if it could be a routing issues.

Does anyone know the IP address or DNS name the Microcell is attempting to reach?  I would like to try to trace thr route to see if any of the hops are dropping?

Otto Pylot,

It looks like I am back buddy!  3 days ago my microcell rebooted and has not successfully connected to AT&T since.  I have performed the following:

1. Rebooted the Microcell - No connection

2. Rebooted Microcell, Cable Modem(TWC) and Linksys Router - No connection

3. Connected my computer to the Microcell and connected the Microcell to my Cable Modem - No connection

4. I have contacted AT&T and they said it looks like port 500 or 4500 is being blocked - No resolution

5. I got a follow-up call today and they said this was an issue with TWC - No resolution

6. Called TWC and they said the the cable modem does not block ports (DUH...I'm not a dumba$$) and tried to tell me my Linksys router is probably the issue. I have been running this setup for 3 years and have made no changes to my router, not the isse - No resolution

At this moment I have changed the DNS in my router to use Google's public DNS, 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4, just to see if it could be a routing issues.

Does anyone know the IP address or DNS name the Microcell is attempting to reach?  I would like to try to trace thr route to see if any of the hops are dropping?

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (1,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 5:20:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Hey erturnerjr,

For not being an AT&T employee, I'm sure spending a lot of time on this issue Smiley Sad. You've done everything that I can think of to circumvent what restrictions TWC has implemented. As I said in another post, I think what's done is done, and there's not much AT&T can do about it.

Everyone who truly knows anything is off for the holidays and my guess is that no one is going to give a definitive answer, either from the TWC side or the AT&T side. I will be bringing all of the posts, and PM's I've received, to the Admin next week. Don't expect much to happen but I will do what I can to keep this fresh in everyone's mind.

Hey erturnerjr,

For not being an AT&T employee, I'm sure spending a lot of time on this issue Smiley Sad. You've done everything that I can think of to circumvent what restrictions TWC has implemented. As I said in another post, I think what's done is done, and there's not much AT&T can do about it.

Everyone who truly knows anything is off for the holidays and my guess is that no one is going to give a definitive answer, either from the TWC side or the AT&T side. I will be bringing all of the posts, and PM's I've received, to the Admin next week. Don't expect much to happen but I will do what I can to keep this fresh in everyone's mind.

5 of 9 (1,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 5:44:56 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by erturnerjr on Dec 27, 2013 at 5:46:48 PM

By changing my DNS to Google, I was @ least able to get it to activate.  This is the first time in 3 days I got this far.  But my bars are still blinking which is still no bueno.

I am really HATING both AT&T and TWC @ the moment!

Oh yea and the AT&T rep told me they can't give me the IP address or DNS name of where the Microcell is trying to connect because I do not even know it.  Only Cisco knows it because they do all the firmware, etc.

By changing my DNS to Google, I was @ least able to get it to activate.  This is the first time in 3 days I got this far.  But my bars are still blinking which is still no bueno.

I am really HATING both AT&T and TWC @ the moment!

Oh yea and the AT&T rep told me they can't give me the IP address or DNS name of where the Microcell is trying to connect because I do not even know it.  Only Cisco knows it because they do all the firmware, etc.

[ Edited ]
6 of 9 (1,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 6:08:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Mmmm I don't know if that's accurate or not, the IP address that is. Cisco developed the MicroCell but everything else is in AT&T's ballpark. I would hate TWC more than AT&T at this point in time.

Mmmm I don't know if that's accurate or not, the IP address that is. Cisco developed the MicroCell but everything else is in AT&T's ballpark. I would hate TWC more than AT&T at this point in time.

7 of 9 (1,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 7:06:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

So with me changing my DNS to Google and the Microcell registering, which it had not done for 3 days, I knew something somewhere was not right.

I regratefully but thankfully did a RESET on my router, not a simple, disconnect power, wait 10 seconds and reconnect, BUT a factory RESET. 

I am glad to report that after 3 days of troubleshooting, I am BACK UP and RUNNING.  So in the end, my issue had nothing to do with AT&T or TWC.  I had to do a FACTORY RESET on my router for WHO KNOWS what reason.

Hope this helps someone.

So with me changing my DNS to Google and the Microcell registering, which it had not done for 3 days, I knew something somewhere was not right.

I regratefully but thankfully did a RESET on my router, not a simple, disconnect power, wait 10 seconds and reconnect, BUT a factory RESET. 

I am glad to report that after 3 days of troubleshooting, I am BACK UP and RUNNING.  So in the end, my issue had nothing to do with AT&T or TWC.  I had to do a FACTORY RESET on my router for WHO KNOWS what reason.

Hope this helps someone.

8 of 9 (1,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 8:50:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Others have reset their routers to no avail so hopefully this will work for you. However, too many have this connectivity issue to be a router problem alone.

Others have reset their routers to no avail so hopefully this will work for you. However, too many have this connectivity issue to be a router problem alone.

9 of 9 (1,272 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments