Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Mar 14, 2014
11:16:25 AM
View profile
TECHNICAL GUIDE UPDATED TO v1.5

I just updated the Guide to v1.5. Changes are listed on the last page.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

I just updated the Guide to v1.5. Changes are listed on the last page.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

TECHNICAL GUIDE UPDATED TO v1.5

48 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(48)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 3:11:58 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Amazing work Otto, thank you for everything you do in the Community!

KUDOS

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Amazing work Otto, thank you for everything you do in the Community!

KUDOS

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: TECHNICAL GUIDE UPDATED TO v1.5

2 of 49 (1,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 4:35:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thank you sir!

Thank you sir!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 49 (1,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 9:46:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Looks good Otto.  You may want to add page numbers to the table of contents.

Looks good Otto.  You may want to add page numbers to the table of contents.

4 of 49 (1,421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 9:58:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

As soon as I sent it off to AT&T I thought, "I betcha Avedis53 is going to suggest page numbers". Doh! Version 1.6 Smiley Sad I'm anxious to see how long AT&T Branding lets me keep the logo (which I think looks cool).

As soon as I sent it off to AT&T I thought, "I betcha Avedis53 is going to suggest page numbers". Doh! Version 1.6 Smiley Sad I'm anxious to see how long AT&T Branding lets me keep the logo (which I think looks cool).

5 of 49 (1,417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 10:12:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I like the picture of the Mcell also.  Can you find a higher resolution picture of it?  The one you used is somewhat pixelated.

I like the picture of the Mcell also.  Can you find a higher resolution picture of it?  The one you used is somewhat pixelated.

6 of 49 (1,414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 11:41:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

That was the best I could do at the time cause I wanted to get it on there and be done with this version of the Guide. I would like to think I have a life outside of this forum Smiley Tongue I'll keep looking around for a better pic but I wanted one that had the Cisco name as well as the AT&T name to give recognition to both companies. I also added the "TM" notation to the MicroCell name in the title, again to appease any marketing/branding suit that might find offense to what I did, which is something they should have done a long time ago.

That was the best I could do at the time cause I wanted to get it on there and be done with this version of the Guide. I would like to think I have a life outside of this forum Smiley Tongue I'll keep looking around for a better pic but I wanted one that had the Cisco name as well as the AT&T name to give recognition to both companies. I also added the "TM" notation to the MicroCell name in the title, again to appease any marketing/branding suit that might find offense to what I did, which is something they should have done a long time ago.

7 of 49 (1,409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 12:36:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

On the subject of pictures, since the User Guide picture of the back of the Mcell does not identify the extermal antenna plug-in or the hard reset button, a picture of that with those two items pointed out and labelled would be nice since you refer to those in the Tech Guide.

On the subject of pictures, since the User Guide picture of the back of the Mcell does not identify the extermal antenna plug-in or the hard reset button, a picture of that with those two items pointed out and labelled would be nice since you refer to those in the Tech Guide.

8 of 49 (1,407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 1:31:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yeah, I thought of that. I've also got a picture of what the lights are supposed to look like on the front but I'm afraid if I post too many pics then the AT&T suits will sue me for copyright infringement or something like that. I guess I could take pics of my setup as an example of what a normal, "real life" customer setup should look like. Hmm......

Yeah, I thought of that. I've also got a picture of what the lights are supposed to look like on the front but I'm afraid if I post too many pics then the AT&T suits will sue me for copyright infringement or something like that. I guess I could take pics of my setup as an example of what a normal, "real life" customer setup should look like. Hmm......

9 of 49 (1,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 5:42:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Go ahead!  You have no life other than being a Mcell guru!  Smiley Very Happy

Go ahead!  You have no life other than being a Mcell guru!  Smiley Very Happy

10 of 49 (1,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 11:35:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

True that, but tonight I went to a Portugese all-you-can-eat crab festival with endless wine and bread Smiley Surprised Just checkin' in now but I need to go cause it's hard finding the keyboard Smiley Sad This old Ranger ain't what he used to be....

True that, but tonight I went to a Portugese all-you-can-eat crab festival with endless wine and bread Smiley Surprised Just checkin' in now but I need to go cause it's hard finding the keyboard Smiley Sad This old Ranger ain't what he used to be....

11 of 49 (1,368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 9:14:40 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Apr 2, 2014 at 10:09:52 AM

Hi Otto, based on your comments about rock-solid performance after port forwarding and another users DMZ comments, I gave it a go--to prevent red flashing light EVERY SINGLE MORNING. I tried all the usual stuff first, paperclip to reboot, unplug replug, de-activate reactivate--but the morning light was red, always. Last night I took the following steps, and this morning the light was solid green. It was a lot of guess work, so see if you can find any glitches. Otherwise, these steps my help someone. 

First I set a static IP for my computer by following these steps:

• Start > Run > cmd > msconfig /all

---

• Write down the highlighted addresses: IPv4, subnet mask, default gateway and dns servers.
  • Start > control panel > view network status and tasks

• Select  change adapter settings.

• Right-click the active adapter and select Properties

• Select IPv4 and  click Properties.
  • Select Use the following IP address and fill in the blanks as shown here. Use the router IP address (in my case 192.168.1.1, but change the last number. I changed it to 135, but could have been just 10. Click ok. (You can check the validate box if you like. I did. )

Next I set up Port Forwarding and filled out the DMZ box by following these steps:

• I went into my router setup, in my case a Linksys E2500, by typing the router address (in my case 192-168.1.1) in the browser.
  • Click on Status and then Local Network and then DHCP client table.
  • Here is where it got to be a guessing game, but I chose a LAN entry that had no name or description and noted the ip address. Click Close.

---

• Click on the Applications & Gaming tab. I entered the information as shown below. Using the ip address above.

• In the same window, I click the DMZ tab. And filled in the boxes as shown here. To get the MAC address I clicked the DHCP Client Table  and clicked Select in that window for my Microcell entry.

---

• Then I saved my router settings and crossed my fingers. This morning the red light did not blink. I still have my fingers crossed. 

So far so good. I would say others shouldn't try this unless they can recover gracefully. Any suggestions, Otto?

[removed images with unique MAC addresses]

Hi Otto, based on your comments about rock-solid performance after port forwarding and another users DMZ comments, I gave it a go--to prevent red flashing light EVERY SINGLE MORNING. I tried all the usual stuff first, paperclip to reboot, unplug replug, de-activate reactivate--but the morning light was red, always. Last night I took the following steps, and this morning the light was solid green. It was a lot of guess work, so see if you can find any glitches. Otherwise, these steps my help someone. 

First I set a static IP for my computer by following these steps:

• Start > Run > cmd > msconfig /all

---

• Write down the highlighted addresses: IPv4, subnet mask, default gateway and dns servers.
  • Start > control panel > view network status and tasks

• Select  change adapter settings.

• Right-click the active adapter and select Properties

• Select IPv4 and  click Properties.
  • Select Use the following IP address and fill in the blanks as shown here. Use the router IP address (in my case 192.168.1.1, but change the last number. I changed it to 135, but could have been just 10. Click ok. (You can check the validate box if you like. I did. )

Next I set up Port Forwarding and filled out the DMZ box by following these steps:

• I went into my router setup, in my case a Linksys E2500, by typing the router address (in my case 192-168.1.1) in the browser.
  • Click on Status and then Local Network and then DHCP client table.
  • Here is where it got to be a guessing game, but I chose a LAN entry that had no name or description and noted the ip address. Click Close.

---

• Click on the Applications & Gaming tab. I entered the information as shown below. Using the ip address above.

• In the same window, I click the DMZ tab. And filled in the boxes as shown here. To get the MAC address I clicked the DHCP Client Table  and clicked Select in that window for my Microcell entry.

---

• Then I saved my router settings and crossed my fingers. This morning the red light did not blink. I still have my fingers crossed. 

So far so good. I would say others shouldn't try this unless they can recover gracefully. Any suggestions, Otto?

[removed images with unique MAC addresses]

Re: TECHNICAL GUIDE UPDATED TO v1.5 [RED LIGHT BLINKING EVERY MORNING]

[ Edited ]
12 of 49 (1,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 9:35:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I don't do Windows but it seems that you've configured port forwarding correctly. So much easier on an Apple Smiley Wink Anyway....

The blinking red 3G light is usually indicative of a hardware failure of the MicroCell. However, it can also mean that the MicroCell received an update and it didn't properly restart itself and "thinks" it's broken. Most of the time the hard reset takes care of that because that puts the MicorCell back into "factory mode" and forces the unit to go thru the Initial Activation process detailed in my Tech Guide.

For me, I selected the first IP address that was available to me from the DHCP table. That way the router didn't have to go thru the entire table range to find it should I need to reconnect after a power failure, either intentional or unintentional. I don't know if that makes a difference or not but it seemed like a reasonable approach for quickly re-establishing connection. I only have 4 (actually 3) devices wired to the router (AEBS). All of my other devices are WiFi.

Let us know if you maintain stability over time. Thanks for reporting back!

I don't do Windows but it seems that you've configured port forwarding correctly. So much easier on an Apple Smiley Wink Anyway....

The blinking red 3G light is usually indicative of a hardware failure of the MicroCell. However, it can also mean that the MicroCell received an update and it didn't properly restart itself and "thinks" it's broken. Most of the time the hard reset takes care of that because that puts the MicorCell back into "factory mode" and forces the unit to go thru the Initial Activation process detailed in my Tech Guide.

For me, I selected the first IP address that was available to me from the DHCP table. That way the router didn't have to go thru the entire table range to find it should I need to reconnect after a power failure, either intentional or unintentional. I don't know if that makes a difference or not but it seemed like a reasonable approach for quickly re-establishing connection. I only have 4 (actually 3) devices wired to the router (AEBS). All of my other devices are WiFi.

Let us know if you maintain stability over time. Thanks for reporting back!

13 of 49 (1,172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 10:42:39 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks, Otto. I had to restart every day, and that got old fast. That's why I attempted mucking around in the router. :-) I'll keep you posted.

Joan

Thanks, Otto. I had to restart every day, and that got old fast. That's why I attempted mucking around in the router. :-) I'll keep you posted.

Joan

14 of 49 (1,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 10:42:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Wow....

I'm not sure all of that was necessary.  I guess I don't understand how assigning a static IP address to your router has anything to do with your Mcell operation.  Typically, one would assign a static IP address to the Microcell.

At any rate, I would think that all you should have needed to do was port forward the four ports for the Mcell based on its MAC.  Putting the Mcell in the DMZ may not have been necessary.  I guess I would have started with assigning a static IP address to the Mcell and then forwarding the ports and leave the Mcell out of the DMZ unless the static IP address/port forwarding didn't work.

Having said all that, if it works then fine. 

Wow....

I'm not sure all of that was necessary.  I guess I don't understand how assigning a static IP address to your router has anything to do with your Mcell operation.  Typically, one would assign a static IP address to the Microcell.

At any rate, I would think that all you should have needed to do was port forward the four ports for the Mcell based on its MAC.  Putting the Mcell in the DMZ may not have been necessary.  I guess I would have started with assigning a static IP address to the Mcell and then forwarding the ports and leave the Mcell out of the DMZ unless the static IP address/port forwarding didn't work.

Having said all that, if it works then fine. 

15 of 49 (1,161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 10:56:30 AM
(0)
Teacher

I wasn't sure either--about most of it. But I couldn't figure out how to assign a static IP to the Microcell in windows. If I had that specific info, I would have done that. I was operating on a wing and a prayer. So far so good.

I wasn't sure either--about most of it. But I couldn't figure out how to assign a static IP to the Microcell in windows. If I had that specific info, I would have done that. I was operating on a wing and a prayer. So far so good.

16 of 49 (1,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 11:30:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I guess I mis-understood your post because you shouldn't be doing anything in Windows. Let the router do all of the work. Assigning a static IP address to the router was probably not necessary and may be a problem later on. I have a static IP address supplied to me by my ISP. That's what's in my router as part of it's basic ISP connections. Eveything else is setup and assigned behind that.

As I've said before, port forwarding and a statically assigned IP address to the MicroCell shouldn't be necessary at all but a lot of folks do that for stability if you're prone to power outages, etc. I wouldn't do port forwarding and DMZ at the same time though. It should be either/or.

The blinking red 3G light you mentioned origianlly is indicative of something else and should be indpendent on whether you've port forwarded or not. But as Avedis53 said, if it works and is stable then fine.

Have you connected your MicroCell to your computer by any chance?

I guess I mis-understood your post because you shouldn't be doing anything in Windows. Let the router do all of the work. Assigning a static IP address to the router was probably not necessary and may be a problem later on. I have a static IP address supplied to me by my ISP. That's what's in my router as part of it's basic ISP connections. Eveything else is setup and assigned behind that.

As I've said before, port forwarding and a statically assigned IP address to the MicroCell shouldn't be necessary at all but a lot of folks do that for stability if you're prone to power outages, etc. I wouldn't do port forwarding and DMZ at the same time though. It should be either/or.

The blinking red 3G light you mentioned origianlly is indicative of something else and should be indpendent on whether you've port forwarded or not. But as Avedis53 said, if it works and is stable then fine.

Have you connected your MicroCell to your computer by any chance?

17 of 49 (1,148 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 1:49:34 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by joanrobins on Apr 2, 2014 at 1:50:31 PM

No, it's connected to my router. If what I've done works, I might leave it that way. If I see blinking red again, I might just go back to square one--unless you have further ideas. I think the problem is that I got a new Comcast modem that probably does something in the wee hours of the morning to disrupt the microcell, which then, for some reason can't reestablish contact. I could try going directly to the modem, but as I recall, that didn't work at all.

Joan

No, it's connected to my router. If what I've done works, I might leave it that way. If I see blinking red again, I might just go back to square one--unless you have further ideas. I think the problem is that I got a new Comcast modem that probably does something in the wee hours of the morning to disrupt the microcell, which then, for some reason can't reestablish contact. I could try going directly to the modem, but as I recall, that didn't work at all.

Joan

[ Edited ]
18 of 49 (1,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 2:55:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok. good. I think connecting the MicroCell via the Computer port to a computer can introduce more problems so I don't recommend it.

If what you did works, then yeah, don't mess with it. The blinking red 3G light bothers me though. That should have nothing to do with port forwarding or static IP. I guess what we need is a little more detail on how you have your MicroCell setup exactly (I can hear Avedis53 groaning now cause I don't have my question check list to post Smiley Wink).

Ok. good. I think connecting the MicroCell via the Computer port to a computer can introduce more problems so I don't recommend it.

If what you did works, then yeah, don't mess with it. The blinking red 3G light bothers me though. That should have nothing to do with port forwarding or static IP. I guess what we need is a little more detail on how you have your MicroCell setup exactly (I can hear Avedis53 groaning now cause I don't have my question check list to post Smiley Wink).

19 of 49 (1,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 5:49:11 PM
(0)
Teacher

I've had the microcell for years, set up by the book, worked just fine until I got the new Comcast modem. That's when the red light started--about 4 months ago. Totally typical setup worked fine for years. Now I still have a solid green light. so stay tuned. :-)

I've had the microcell for years, set up by the book, worked just fine until I got the new Comcast modem. That's when the red light started--about 4 months ago. Totally typical setup worked fine for years. Now I still have a solid green light. so stay tuned. :-)

20 of 49 (1,121 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 6:04:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I remember your posts from a couple of years ago Smiley Happy. It could be the way Comcast has the modem configured. Stay in touch.

I remember your posts from a couple of years ago Smiley Happy. It could be the way Comcast has the modem configured. Stay in touch.

21 of 49 (1,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 7:46:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

Red light flashing this morning. I unplugged for a few minutes and then plugged it back in. Fine now. Not sure what to do next. I think I'll leave the dmz and disable the port forwarding. Any suggestions would be appreciate.

Joan

Red light flashing this morning. I unplugged for a few minutes and then plugged it back in. Fine now. Not sure what to do next. I think I'll leave the dmz and disable the port forwarding. Any suggestions would be appreciate.

Joan

DARN! Re: TECHNICAL GUIDE UPDATED TO v1.5 [RED LIGHT BLINKING EVERY MORNING]

22 of 49 (1,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 8:25:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

@ Otto - These posts should be moved to their own thread and not under the Technical Guide Updated To v1.5 thread.

@ joanrobins - I think you should start back at square one.  Go back into Windows and remove the static IP for the router.  Go into the router admin page and remove the Mcell from the DMZ and remove the port forwarding for the Mcell.

Then, connect the Mcell directly to your modem (don't connect anything else at this time), de-authorize your Mcell, power down your Mcell, do a hard reset, power your Mcell back up and then reauthorize your Mcell and report what happens.

Do you concur Otto?

@ Otto - These posts should be moved to their own thread and not under the Technical Guide Updated To v1.5 thread.

@ joanrobins - I think you should start back at square one.  Go back into Windows and remove the static IP for the router.  Go into the router admin page and remove the Mcell from the DMZ and remove the port forwarding for the Mcell.

Then, connect the Mcell directly to your modem (don't connect anything else at this time), de-authorize your Mcell, power down your Mcell, do a hard reset, power your Mcell back up and then reauthorize your Mcell and report what happens.

Do you concur Otto?

Re: DARN! Re: TECHNICAL GUIDE UPDATED TO v1.5 [RED LIGHT BLINKING EVERY MORNING]

23 of 49 (1,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 8:40:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok. If the MicroCell is in the same physical setup position that you had it in when it was working correctly, and the only change was the Comcast modem, I'd suspect that there is something about the Comcast modem is configured for their network that is causing issues. Disabling port forwarding is a good idea for now. It's best to get your setup back to a default position and then work from there. Leaving the DMZ connection is probably ok but I'd still try to keep the MicroCell with a statically assigned IP address (not your modem). Once you do that, I'd power cycle everything and see what happens.

Ok. If the MicroCell is in the same physical setup position that you had it in when it was working correctly, and the only change was the Comcast modem, I'd suspect that there is something about the Comcast modem is configured for their network that is causing issues. Disabling port forwarding is a good idea for now. It's best to get your setup back to a default position and then work from there. Leaving the DMZ connection is probably ok but I'd still try to keep the MicroCell with a statically assigned IP address (not your modem). Once you do that, I'd power cycle everything and see what happens.

Re: DARN! Re: TECHNICAL GUIDE UPDATED TO v1.5 [RED LIGHT BLINKING EVERY MORNING]

24 of 49 (1,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 8:42:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Avedis53 - I guess we were replying at the same time but you're quicker on the Post button than I am. I do agree with your recommendation to Joan.

Avedis53 - I guess we were replying at the same time but you're quicker on the Post button than I am. I do agree with your recommendation to Joan.

25 of 49 (1,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 10:03:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Getting slow old man......

Getting slow old man......

26 of 49 (1,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 10:07:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Tell me about it Smiley Sad

Tell me about it Smiley Sad

27 of 49 (1,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 10:20:26 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks much, both of you. I followed your instructions to the letter and I'm in the activation period. When it completes, I'll probably be ok for a while. Now I have the microcell connected directly to the comcast modem. Should I leave it there?

I'll report back if red flashing starts up again.

Joan

Thanks much, both of you. I followed your instructions to the letter and I'm in the activation period. When it completes, I'll probably be ok for a while. Now I have the microcell connected directly to the comcast modem. Should I leave it there?

I'll report back if red flashing starts up again.

Joan

28 of 49 (1,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 10:35:23 AM
(0)
Teacher
activation successful.
activation successful.

29 of 49 (1,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 10:45:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Good. Let's see if it stays that way. Is the Comcast modem a separate device from the router or is it a combo?

Good. Let's see if it stays that way. Is the Comcast modem a separate device from the router or is it a combo?

30 of 49 (1,078 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments