Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 2, 2013
6:23:42 PM
View profile
T-Mobile unlocked iphone 5s ... can i use this on AT&T?

can i use the contract free tmobile iphone 5s on att?  can i just bring it into an att store and have them swap out the sim card and activate it???

can i use the contract free tmobile iphone 5s on att?  can i just bring it into an att store and have them swap out the sim card and activate it???

T-Mobile unlocked iphone 5s ... can i use this on AT&T?

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 6:51:59 PM
(0)
Former Employee

RKD1986 wrote:

Yes, you should be able to use it but it might not be compatible with ATT's LTE network. 

RKD1986 wrote:

Yes, you should be able to use it but it might not be compatible with ATT's LTE network. 

Re: T-Mobile unlocked iphone 5s ... can i use this on AT&T?

2 of 15 (56,472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 7:13:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

ok thats what i was afraid to hear

i want to be able to use the att network like any normal user

the only reason why i am asking, is i can't purchase the iphone 5s through att or through apple without signing up for a new contract and dont have the time/ability to go into a physical att store to put my order through

is there any way to purchase the iphone 5s over the phone?  i would be paying outside of contract at th efull 650 price point

ok thats what i was afraid to hear

i want to be able to use the att network like any normal user

the only reason why i am asking, is i can't purchase the iphone 5s through att or through apple without signing up for a new contract and dont have the time/ability to go into a physical att store to put my order through

is there any way to purchase the iphone 5s over the phone?  i would be paying outside of contract at th efull 650 price point

3 of 15 (56,462 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 7:17:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
As current user of the iPhone 5S bought directly unlocked from Apple, I can confirm it will work with AT&T and it IS indeed compatible with AT&T's LTE network.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
As current user of the iPhone 5S bought directly unlocked from Apple, I can confirm it will work with AT&T and it IS indeed compatible with AT&T's LTE network.
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 15 (56,459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 7:22:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

what did you have to do to get it activated on att network?  was it difficult?

what did you have to do to get it activated on att network?  was it difficult?

5 of 15 (56,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 7:25:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Well remember; only the iPhone 5S bought from Apple Online Store for T-Mobile will be unlocked. If you buy one from a retail store, it will be locked to the carrier.

It's actually very simple, order the device, receive it, put in your SIM card and your done! Smiley Wink
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Well remember; only the iPhone 5S bought from Apple Online Store for T-Mobile will be unlocked. If you buy one from a retail store, it will be locked to the carrier.

It's actually very simple, order the device, receive it, put in your SIM card and your done! Smiley Wink
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 15 (56,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 10:09:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi Evandela,

so you're now using AT&T's network? 

Lynn.

Smiley Happy

Hi Evandela,

so you're now using AT&T's network? 

Lynn.

Smiley Happy

7 of 15 (54,656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 10:13:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

And I was wondering if I get the unlocked 5S online, can AT&T activate it for me? (I'm still with the iphone 5 contract)

And I was wondering if I get the unlocked 5S online, can AT&T activate it for me? (I'm still with the iphone 5 contract)

8 of 15 (54,653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 5:33:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Main.Lynn,

Yes that is correct, I am using a unlocked iPhone 5S on the AT&T network Smiley Happy

If you buy the iPhone 5S unlocked from apple then yes, AT&T can activate it for you without a hitch! Smiley Wink
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Main.Lynn,

Yes that is correct, I am using a unlocked iPhone 5S on the AT&T network Smiley Happy

If you buy the iPhone 5S unlocked from apple then yes, AT&T can activate it for you without a hitch! Smiley Wink

9 of 15 (54,603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2013 7:49:25 PM
(0)
Master

Here is a link to Apple's iPhone LTE page that shows which models use which frequencies.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Here is a link to Apple's iPhone LTE page that shows which models use which frequencies.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

10 of 15 (54,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 11:32:52 AM
(0)
Contributor
I bought my unlocked iPhone 5s from apple; So, I received the phone with tmobile simcard as you explained. I just started my att plan just about 1 hour ago. I am wondering why phone is working but internet doesn't work even if I have LTE sign only screen..
Do I need to wait a little bit more? like 2-3 hours? =(
I bought my unlocked iPhone 5s from apple; So, I received the phone with tmobile simcard as you explained. I just started my att plan just about 1 hour ago. I am wondering why phone is working but internet doesn't work even if I have LTE sign only screen..
iphone 5s

11 of 15 (31,586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 1:08:26 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hi @younghoonna 

Which plan did you get? Is it a prepaid plan?

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hi @younghoonna 

Which plan did you get? Is it a prepaid plan?

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 15 (31,558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 1:37:59 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thank you for taking care of my situation.

yes mine is prepaid plan. ($60)

Is there different rules or system for prepaid?
Thank you for taking care of my situation.

yes mine is prepaid plan. ($60)

Is there different rules or system for prepaid?
iphone 5s

13 of 15 (31,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 1:50:30 PM
(0)
Mentor

I bought an unlocked T-Mobile iPhone directly from Apple for full price.  I used it with the pre-installed T-Mobile SIM card for a month.  Then I went to AT&T and got a free SIM from them and set up a $60 prepaid account, to compare reception and coverage.  Both were better with AT&T, so I remain with them.  I am free to switch back to T-Mobile (or any other GSM carrier) at any time.

That's why I bought unlocked directly from Apple: the freedom to switch carriers as I choose, without anyone having to unlock my phone.

Note that unlocked phones may only be purchased directly from Apple.  You can get a contract-free phone from a carrier, but it will be locked to the carrier until they choose to unlock it, even if you pay full price up front.

I bought an unlocked T-Mobile iPhone directly from Apple for full price.  I used it with the pre-installed T-Mobile SIM card for a month.  Then I went to AT&T and got a free SIM from them and set up a $60 prepaid account, to compare reception and coverage.  Both were better with AT&T, so I remain with them.  I am free to switch back to T-Mobile (or any other GSM carrier) at any time.

That's why I bought unlocked directly from Apple: the freedom to switch carriers as I choose, without anyone having to unlock my phone.

Note that unlocked phones may only be purchased directly from Apple.  You can get a contract-free phone from a carrier, but it will be locked to the carrier until they choose to unlock it, even if you pay full price up front.

14 of 15 (31,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 5:26:31 PM
(0)
Expert

younghoonna wrote:

you need to put in the correct APN for att, it probaly still has t-mobile's

younghoonna wrote:

you need to put in the correct APN for att, it probaly still has t-mobile's

15 of 15 (31,504 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments