Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 29, 2014
8:21:11 AM
View profile
Switching from iPhone to other OS phone

Learned this the hard way, almost gave up on wife's new HTC One Mini due to texting problems.

Make sure, if you switch from the iPhone to a different phone,to inform your iPhone contacts to stop using iMessage when they text you.  You won't get their texts.  Otherwise you wil be pulling your hair out, cussing AT&T or whatever carrier your friends are on, and ready to slam your new phone against the wall. HTH

Learned this the hard way, almost gave up on wife's new HTC One Mini due to texting problems.

Make sure, if you switch from the iPhone to a different phone,to inform your iPhone contacts to stop using iMessage when they text you.  You won't get their texts.  Otherwise you wil be pulling your hair out, cussing AT&T or whatever carrier your friends are on, and ready to slam your new phone against the wall. HTH

Switching from iPhone to other OS phone

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 8:29:43 AM
(0)
Employee

Hi TWC42,

I apologize you were having issues with the iMessages. When you switch devices, it also goes for any other Apple products you might have as well. If you have any iOS device or a Apple computer running OS X 10.7 or higher, your phone number could be assoicated with iMessages on any of those devices and prevent text messages from being received in a timely manner.

Hope this helps!

Hi TWC42,

I apologize you were having issues with the iMessages. When you switch devices, it also goes for any other Apple products you might have as well. If you have any iOS device or a Apple computer running OS X 10.7 or higher, your phone number could be assoicated with iMessages on any of those devices and prevent text messages from being received in a timely manner.

Hope this helps!

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Switching from iPhone to other OS phone

2 of 5 (621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 7:41:01 AM
(0)

Apology unnecessary but accepted.  The problem lies with Apple and the iMessaging system and their inability to fix it.  And it's a problem for all iPhone users as well, because they won't know that their texts, sent via iMessage, aren't getting through to the intended recipients, unless they review their texts and see a little notation in tiny print that the text was not delivered.  As indicated by the dates on many posts I have found related to this issue, this has been going on for years and Apple has failed to fix it.

What I have determined, too late to help me, is that if one decides to leave the shackles of the iPhone, one should first turn off the iMessage app on the iPhone, then text several iPhone friends and wait for their reply.  Somehow that gets their phone number out of the iMessage dungeon.  But for those of us who were unaware of the necessity to do that, or may have lost an iPhone and replaced it with a more user friendly device, it takes a call to a live person at Apple Tech Support (in US 800-694-7466), a lot of patience and luck, and your number might be deleted from the system in 24 hours, give or take a week and a lot of follow up phone calls.  

On one of the many threads I read addressing this problem, one poster claimed that changing one's Apple ID password (by going to iforgot.apple.com), turns iMessaging off.  Another poster claimed it worked.  I tried it one morning and later tests showed that it didn't help, but when I called Apple, the rep told me my number had been "challenged" (whatever techno-speak that means) and I should be out of the system within 24 hours.  Why couldn't she do something right then and there? Push the darn delete button! That password change was the only other interaction I had with Apple. Funny, I can buy a burger at McD's on my credit card and it shows up immediately on my account.  24 hours to delete a number?

Perhaps AT&T reps should be made more aware of this issue and have a hotline to Apple to get the numbers of those customers making the switch away from an iPhone out of the iMessage system.

Apology unnecessary but accepted.  The problem lies with Apple and the iMessaging system and their inability to fix it.  And it's a problem for all iPhone users as well, because they won't know that their texts, sent via iMessage, aren't getting through to the intended recipients, unless they review their texts and see a little notation in tiny print that the text was not delivered.  As indicated by the dates on many posts I have found related to this issue, this has been going on for years and Apple has failed to fix it.

What I have determined, too late to help me, is that if one decides to leave the shackles of the iPhone, one should first turn off the iMessage app on the iPhone, then text several iPhone friends and wait for their reply.  Somehow that gets their phone number out of the iMessage dungeon.  But for those of us who were unaware of the necessity to do that, or may have lost an iPhone and replaced it with a more user friendly device, it takes a call to a live person at Apple Tech Support (in US 800-694-7466), a lot of patience and luck, and your number might be deleted from the system in 24 hours, give or take a week and a lot of follow up phone calls.  

On one of the many threads I read addressing this problem, one poster claimed that changing one's Apple ID password (by going to iforgot.apple.com), turns iMessaging off.  Another poster claimed it worked.  I tried it one morning and later tests showed that it didn't help, but when I called Apple, the rep told me my number had been "challenged" (whatever techno-speak that means) and I should be out of the system within 24 hours.  Why couldn't she do something right then and there? Push the darn delete button! That password change was the only other interaction I had with Apple. Funny, I can buy a burger at McD's on my credit card and it shows up immediately on my account.  24 hours to delete a number?

Perhaps AT&T reps should be made more aware of this issue and have a hotline to Apple to get the numbers of those customers making the switch away from an iPhone out of the iMessage system.

3 of 5 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 8:21:55 AM
(0)
Expert

TWC42 wrote:

Pont on your the fast food example - when you  swipe your card at the register the account routes the charge directly to the clearing house which real time processes the charges to your bank to see if you have available credit, if you don't it is immediately declined, major difference to what you are comparing it to. Imessage is a Apple supplied app and supported by Apple only, att, verizon, sprint, t-mobile and any other carrer that utilized a apple device does not need to support it, they have no method of correcting the issue

TWC42 wrote:

Pont on your the fast food example - when you  swipe your card at the register the account routes the charge directly to the clearing house which real time processes the charges to your bank to see if you have available credit, if you don't it is immediately declined, major difference to what you are comparing it to. Imessage is a Apple supplied app and supported by Apple only, att, verizon, sprint, t-mobile and any other carrer that utilized a apple device does not need to support it, they have no method of correcting the issue

4 of 5 (508 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 8:39:31 AM
(0)
Master

It may be too late for you but for others finding this thread, go into settings>messages>imessage and turn it off before changing to a new phone.  This process should disassociate your number with iMessage.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

It may be too late for you but for others finding this thread, go into settings>messages>imessage and turn it off before changing to a new phone.  This process should disassociate your number with iMessage.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 5 (451 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments