Switching from BB to iPhone 5?

Tutor

Switching from BB to iPhone 5?

If I have an iPhone 5 on ATT will the sim from my blackberry work in it if it's trimmed down to nano size? Will I have to get an iPhone data plan or will the blackberry plan work on it?
Message 1 of 6 (622 Views)
ACE - Guru

Re: Switching from BB to iPhone 5?

[ Edited ]

I would not trim a Blackberry SIM to make it Nano, it may get stuck or may not work,most likely stuck. It happen to me, I tried the sim card adapter in my previous iPhone 3GS, sim adapter got stuck. I had to send 3GS to Apple to have it taken care of. So it's better to get new sim from AT&T Corperate Store. As for data plans, if you have the "grandfathered unlimited" data plan, you can have set it up to iPhone 5, but better to do it at AT&T Corperate Store.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (580 Views)
ACE - Master

Jwalshy98 wrote:
If I have an iPhone 5 on ATT will the sim from my blackberry work in it if it's trimmed down to nano size? Will I have to get an iPhone data plan or will the blackberry plan work on it?

The new nano SIM is actually thinner (as well as smaller) than the older style micro and mini-SIM cards.  You might be able to trim your old SIM down. but it would really be much better if you just go into an AT&T corporate store and get a new SIM.  They probably won't charge you for it, and if they do it shouldn't be much at all.

As for the data plan,  the BB uses the correct type of data plan, but there are some differences.  If you just somehow cut the SIM down to fit, you could probably use some, if not all of your data services, but not everything will work right.  Critical things that you will need to contact AT&T to resolve are visual voice mail, and potentially the data services, since I am not aware of any BB that has LTE service, and all iPhone that use a nano SIM have LTE service, you will really need to contact AT&T to get that enabled.  Whatever your data plan is (grandfathered or current) it should move to the iPhone but there will need to be some minor changes "behind the servers" to get everything to work right.

I remember when my wife moved her SIM from her old BB to my old iPhone 3G (3-4 years ago).  The cellular voice worked fine, SMS and MMS worked fine, but she had issues with Visual Voice Mail, and with 3G data services (even though her BB has 3G data).  She kept her unlimited data plan, but they had to make a few other changes to get it all working properly.  She called them on her iPhone when she left for work, and by the time she arrived, everything was working properly.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6 (531 Views)
Contributor

Since the iphone does not accept SIM contacts, I can't find a way to transfer my BB contacts. The BB is completely useless and the only thing I've been using it for the past two months was as an address book. Now I have a new iphone and i am looking to transfer the contacts to the new phone. Any advice?
Message 4 of 6 (426 Views)
ACE - Expert

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobile-phone/3448910/move-contacts-from-blackberry-iphone/
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Message 5 of 6 (421 Views)
ACE - Master

I realize this is probably a little late for this suggestion, but if you purchase yoru iPhone at an Apple store, they have a device which can connect your old phone and your new iPhone and transfer the contacts for you.  When my wife got her first iPhone they used that to transfer her contacts from her Blackberry Bold to her new iPhone right there in the store.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 6 of 6 (405 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.