Switching Phones

Teacher

Switching Phones

I've been trying to use live chat but it has been down for days. I would like to try a different phone than the one im currently on. It's been a year or so since Ive been on gophone service (1st month just ended), I think I remember that my sim is locked to my phone for the first 90 days? Is this true? Can I have the sim unlocked before then?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6 (679 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Switching Phones

gadget69 wrote:

I've been trying to use live chat but it has been down for days. I would like to try a different phone than the one im currently on. It's been a year or so since Ive been on gophone service (1st month just ended), I think I remember that my sim is locked to my phone for the first 90 days? Is this true? Can I have the sim unlocked before then?

Thanks

The last time I've used prepaid (this summer) I was able to move the SIM to a different phone right away. I don't know if that makes a difference, I bought the prepaid package at an AT&T store, not online. Also, the other phone I was using the SIM in was not an AT&T-branded device. So if your SIM doesn't work in another phone, I'm sure they can fix it at an AT&T store.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (639 Views)
Teacher

I had actually tried a different phone and lost my data. I had to call att gophone to re-authenticate my original phone to get data working again. My current phone is a att s4.

Message 3 of 6 (633 Views)
Teacher

I called gophone and had the sim unlocked, haven't tried a different phone yet. But after getting off the phone I notice my data slowed down. I'm not sure if unlocking the sim card caused an issue? Can it? I'm getting around 1.6 mbps down and about 500kbps up.
Message 4 of 6 (573 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

gadget69 wrote:
I called gophone and had the sim unlocked, haven't tried a different phone yet. But after getting off the phone I notice my data slowed down. I'm not sure if unlocking the sim card caused an issue? Can it? I'm getting around 1.6 mbps down and about 500kbps up.

I've never heard of unlocking the SIM causing data speeds to slow down. That being said, I run speed tests fairly regularly and my results range (on LTE) from 200-300kbps to 20-30mbps, so I don't set any expectations for the data speed whatsoever.,

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6 (550 Views)
Teacher

Its just weird how the speed dropped. I've noticed sending mms is slower when it used to blast off into thin air. I called my local ATT store and he checked the tower by my house and he said everything looked good.

Message 6 of 6 (520 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.