Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 13, 2014
6:43:55 AM
View profile
Switch from T-mobile; Bill credit?

Hello,

I have a 5 line family plan with T-mobile. I would like to switch to AT&T b/c ATT has better coverage in my area. The current $200 ETF bill credit being offered by AT&T may facilitate the change, but I have a question.

The documentation regarding the switch says that AT&T will apply the $200 as a bill credit after I have had my account paid for 45 days, and that it may take 3 months to post the credit to my account. If I cancel my AT&T account after that does the bill credit vanish, or will they send it to me as a check after I cancel my account? I am wondering about this because I am going to need funds to pay the $1000 in ETF that T mobile will charge me for canceling the 5 lines to move to AT&T.

Thank you.

Hello,

I have a 5 line family plan with T-mobile. I would like to switch to AT&T b/c ATT has better coverage in my area. The current $200 ETF bill credit being offered by AT&T may facilitate the change, but I have a question.

The documentation regarding the switch says that AT&T will apply the $200 as a bill credit after I have had my account paid for 45 days, and that it may take 3 months to post the credit to my account. If I cancel my AT&T account after that does the bill credit vanish, or will they send it to me as a check after I cancel my account? I am wondering about this because I am going to need funds to pay the $1000 in ETF that T mobile will charge me for canceling the 5 lines to move to AT&T.

Thank you.

Switch from T-mobile; Bill credit?

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 8:10:03 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, LeiaKal!

Thanks for your post. I think I understand your question, but please correct me if I'm wrong. The $200 ETF bill credit is designed to appear on your bill either on or before your third bill. The idea is that this credit will help offset the other carrier's ETF.

If you cancel before then, you may not qualify for the credit. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, LeiaKal!

Thanks for your post. I think I understand your question, but please correct me if I'm wrong. The $200 ETF bill credit is designed to appear on your bill either on or before your third bill. The idea is that this credit will help offset the other carrier's ETF.

If you cancel before then, you may not qualify for the credit. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Switch from T-mobile; Bill credit?

2 of 22 (836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 9:01:58 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I am wondering what happens if I cancel my AT&T account after the credit has posted to my account. Will I receive the remaining credit as a check from AT&T (after my final bill is paid, of course), or does the bill credit only apply to wireless fees, and thus it would essentially disappear if I cancel my account.

Thank again.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I am wondering what happens if I cancel my AT&T account after the credit has posted to my account. Will I receive the remaining credit as a check from AT&T (after my final bill is paid, of course), or does the bill credit only apply to wireless fees, and thus it would essentially disappear if I cancel my account.

Thank again.

3 of 22 (828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 6:02:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

I am still curious about whether the bill credit for switching from Tmobile to ATT will be refunded to me if I cancel my ATT account after 3 months, or will it simply disappear.

Another idea...would it be possible to use the bill credit which is posted to my account to buy a phone?

Thanks!

I am still curious about whether the bill credit for switching from Tmobile to ATT will be refunded to me if I cancel my ATT account after 3 months, or will it simply disappear.

Another idea...would it be possible to use the bill credit which is posted to my account to buy a phone?

Thanks!

4 of 22 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 6:23:32 AM
(0)
Expert

LeiaKal wrote:

Thanks!

you realize that if you cancel after 3 months you will owe the etf on the phone.

smartphone - 325.00 - (10.00 * number of billing cycles completed) in this case 295.00 etf

Basic phone - 150.00 - (4.00 ( number of billing cycles completed) in this case 138.00 etf

From the way I read it it is a billing credit and not a use for anything credit

LeiaKal wrote:

Thanks!

you realize that if you cancel after 3 months you will owe the etf on the phone.

smartphone - 325.00 - (10.00 * number of billing cycles completed) in this case 295.00 etf

Basic phone - 150.00 - (4.00 ( number of billing cycles completed) in this case 138.00 etf

From the way I read it it is a billing credit and not a use for anything credit

5 of 22 (777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 6:28:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for your follow up. I realize that I have not provided enough information. I am considering switching from T mobile to ATT, onto the ATT no contract plan. I will also be bringing my own phones. Thus, no fees to pay off any phones purchased from ATT.

So, if I cancel after three months would the billing credit be refunded to me? It sounds like you suspect not, but it would be nice to get a definitive answer.

Or, if the credit is not refunded to me, could I at least use it to purchase a phone from ATT once the credit is applied to my account after 3 months?

Best,

Leia

Thanks for your follow up. I realize that I have not provided enough information. I am considering switching from T mobile to ATT, onto the ATT no contract plan. I will also be bringing my own phones. Thus, no fees to pay off any phones purchased from ATT.

So, if I cancel after three months would the billing credit be refunded to me? It sounds like you suspect not, but it would be nice to get a definitive answer.

Or, if the credit is not refunded to me, could I at least use it to purchase a phone from ATT once the credit is applied to my account after 3 months?

Best,

Leia

6 of 22 (775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 6:32:31 AM
(0)
Expert

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST within 2 to 3 business days.

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST within 2 to 3 business days.

7 of 22 (775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 7:18:20 AM
(0)
Teacher

I will follow your suggestion to contact them.

However, I would still be interested in receiving an update here if anyone has the answer to this question. I would be happy to move forward with this as early as today. Sounds like the direct message may take a few days to receive a reply.

Thanks!

However, I would still be interested in receiving an update here if anyone has the answer to this question. I would be happy to move forward with this as early as today. Sounds like the direct message may take a few days to receive a reply.

Thanks!

8 of 22 (771 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 8:52:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

LeiaKal wrote:

Thanks!

I imagine this promotion for folks switching from t-mobile is too new for anyone to know for sure but once the credit is posted to your account, I would think it is there to stay. So if you were to cancel service, you would be refunded any credit against your account after accounting for any unpaid new charges.

LeiaKal wrote:

Thanks!

I imagine this promotion for folks switching from t-mobile is too new for anyone to know for sure but once the credit is posted to your account, I would think it is there to stay. So if you were to cancel service, you would be refunded any credit against your account after accounting for any unpaid new charges.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 22 (761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 9:07:20 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:10:42 AM

I found the page that has the promo details, including how to get it.

http://www.att.com/att/switcherpromo/

But you're right, I don't see, one way or another whether it applies when you cancel.

-Alex

I found the page that has the promo details, including how to get it.

http://www.att.com/att/switcherpromo/

But you're right, I don't see, one way or another whether it applies when you cancel.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
10 of 22 (754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 9:21:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks.

Yes, that was the page I've seen too. As you mentioned, it doesn't seem to say what happens to the applied bill credit if someone on a no contract plan cancels after the credit is applied to their acct.

I PM'ed customer service and will post any relevant information here in case other users are interested.

Thanks.

Yes, that was the page I've seen too. As you mentioned, it doesn't seem to say what happens to the applied bill credit if someone on a no contract plan cancels after the credit is applied to their acct.

I PM'ed customer service and will post any relevant information here in case other users are interested.

11 of 22 (748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 10:19:11 AM
(0)
Employee

From personal experience, bill credits only apply to future bills, they do not get sent to you in the form of a check, if it's leftover . Although I can't say that for sure in this case, that is the most likely outcome.

In theory, you could cancel a previous payment, and pay the remainder of your unpaid bill (if the $200 doesnt completly cover it). I'm not sure if your bank would charge you extra to do that, or if there'd be additional repercussions, but certainly a thought.

-Alex

From personal experience, bill credits only apply to future bills, they do not get sent to you in the form of a check, if it's leftover . Although I can't say that for sure in this case, that is the most likely outcome.

In theory, you could cancel a previous payment, and pay the remainder of your unpaid bill (if the $200 doesnt completly cover it). I'm not sure if your bank would charge you extra to do that, or if there'd be additional repercussions, but certainly a thought.

-Alex

12 of 22 (731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 10:32:54 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by LeiaKal on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:50:43 AM

Hmmm. Interesting idea about canceling a previous payment.

However, I would be nervous about the trickle-down effects as you mentioned. I'll keep it in mind though.

Because I am transferring 5 lines, I will have $1000 tied up in 'bill credits'. That is a lot of money. And, that is how much I will owe T-mobile. That is why I am interested in whether or not I could recover some of the 'bill credit' money that is tied up by canceling my account.

Hmmm. Interesting idea about canceling a previous payment.

However, I would be nervous about the trickle-down effects as you mentioned. I'll keep it in mind though.

Because I am transferring 5 lines, I will have $1000 tied up in 'bill credits'. That is a lot of money. And, that is how much I will owe T-mobile. That is why I am interested in whether or not I could recover some of the 'bill credit' money that is tied up by canceling my account.

[ Edited ]
13 of 22 (731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 11:30:26 AM
(0)
Employee

Hi LeiaKal,

A bill credit would be applied to your account after or on your third bill cycle and is handled automatically by any numbers that were ported over from T-Mobile.

If you cancel service after the credit has been applied to your account in most cases and devices that may be on next, final bills, etc would be taken care prior to the final balance. Any remaining balance is then usually settled up in the form of a check.

However the language is this: "Switcher Bill Credit: Requires port-in of eligible T-Mobile wireless number. Must activate own phone, non-commitment phone, or phone on an AT&T Next℠ installment agreement with a qualifying plan (voice and data). Must maintain service and good standing status for 90 days to receive credit. Credit received within 3 bill cycles. Limit 5 credits. Visit att.com/switchfromtmo for full requirements. General Wireless Service Terms: Subject to Wireless Customer Agreement. Activation fee of $36/line may apply. Credit approval required. Geographic, usage, and other terms, conditions, and restrictions apply, and may result in service termination"

More about the T-Mobile Promo can be found Here

Hi LeiaKal,

A bill credit would be applied to your account after or on your third bill cycle and is handled automatically by any numbers that were ported over from T-Mobile.

If you cancel service after the credit has been applied to your account in most cases and devices that may be on next, final bills, etc would be taken care prior to the final balance. Any remaining balance is then usually settled up in the form of a check.

However the language is this: "Switcher Bill Credit: Requires port-in of eligible T-Mobile wireless number. Must activate own phone, non-commitment phone, or phone on an AT&T Next℠ installment agreement with a qualifying plan (voice and data). Must maintain service and good standing status for 90 days to receive credit. Credit received within 3 bill cycles. Limit 5 credits. Visit att.com/switchfromtmo for full requirements. General Wireless Service Terms: Subject to Wireless Customer Agreement. Activation fee of $36/line may apply. Credit approval required. Geographic, usage, and other terms, conditions, and restrictions apply, and may result in service termination"

More about the T-Mobile Promo can be found Here

14 of 22 (716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 11:48:19 AM
(0)
Teacher

I really appreciate the replies from you folks.

If I am interpreting ther replies correctly, though, it sounds like the jury is still out. Logo412 suggests that any remaining credit (presumably even via the 'bill credit') may be returned in the form of a check. On the other hand, Loganic suggested that perhaps bill credits may only be applicable to the account fees, and thus would not be returned in the form of a check.

Even though it sounds like neither responder is fully certain about the disposition of the 'bill credits' upon closing of an account in good standing, I am still grateful that you have taken the time to send me your comments.

I really appreciate the replies from you folks.

If I am interpreting ther replies correctly, though, it sounds like the jury is still out. Logo412 suggests that any remaining credit (presumably even via the 'bill credit') may be returned in the form of a check. On the other hand, Loganic suggested that perhaps bill credits may only be applicable to the account fees, and thus would not be returned in the form of a check.

Even though it sounds like neither responder is fully certain about the disposition of the 'bill credits' upon closing of an account in good standing, I am still grateful that you have taken the time to send me your comments.

15 of 22 (712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 12:01:31 PM
(0)
Employee

Hi LeiaKal,

In my personal experience in most cases those credits would come back to you in the sense that it acts like you paid your bill.

I will say this however, since your account must be in good standing for 90 days, there is a possibility that if you receive the credits and the account goes past due, suspended for non-pay, etc, you may forfit your right to the credits. So if you close your account out, this may be seen as such.

The end all to this is make sure you stay with AT&T for the entire time and enjoy your service, you'll have quite a few months of free service if you bring over your own devices over and a much wider, faster and better network experience.

Hi LeiaKal,

In my personal experience in most cases those credits would come back to you in the sense that it acts like you paid your bill.

I will say this however, since your account must be in good standing for 90 days, there is a possibility that if you receive the credits and the account goes past due, suspended for non-pay, etc, you may forfit your right to the credits. So if you close your account out, this may be seen as such.

The end all to this is make sure you stay with AT&T for the entire time and enjoy your service, you'll have quite a few months of free service if you bring over your own devices over and a much wider, faster and better network experience.

16 of 22 (710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 12:42:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

Ha! I like your optimism Logo412. I certainly hope to get two birds with one stone with this change: 1) get out of contract with Tmobile, and 2) get great service with ATT. But, it just so happens that ATT service is reported to be ok, but not great in my neighborhood from what I have heard from my neighbors. So, I am open to trying it for 3 months (the period required to get the bill credit for switch), but may need to drop it after that if it is inadequate.

Just for reference, Tmobile service is almost non-existent in the neighborhood I recently moved to but they won't waive the ETF because they say that their coverage map shows that my neighborhood is 4g. But my Tmobile experience is another story and not for this particular forum....

Ha! I like your optimism Logo412. I certainly hope to get two birds with one stone with this change: 1) get out of contract with Tmobile, and 2) get great service with ATT. But, it just so happens that ATT service is reported to be ok, but not great in my neighborhood from what I have heard from my neighbors. So, I am open to trying it for 3 months (the period required to get the bill credit for switch), but may need to drop it after that if it is inadequate.

Just for reference, Tmobile service is almost non-existent in the neighborhood I recently moved to but they won't waive the ETF because they say that their coverage map shows that my neighborhood is 4g. But my Tmobile experience is another story and not for this particular forum....

17 of 22 (703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 12:57:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by sandblaster on Jan 14, 2014 at 1:01:09 PM

logo412 wrote:

Hi LeiaKal,

I could be wrong here but I don't think it is possible for an account to become past due and also have credits. Anytime a payment is due, it would be deducted from any available credit if no additional payment is made, wouldn't it? As long as the credit on the account is positive, no way the account should become "past due".

Now if the account becomes past due before that credit is applied, that might be a different story.

logo412 wrote:

Hi LeiaKal,

I could be wrong here but I don't think it is possible for an account to become past due and also have credits. Anytime a payment is due, it would be deducted from any available credit if no additional payment is made, wouldn't it? As long as the credit on the account is positive, no way the account should become "past due".

Now if the account becomes past due before that credit is applied, that might be a different story.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
18 of 22 (699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 3:32:35 PM
(0)
Expert

One thing I just thought of - when you cancel an account unless you port the numbers out you lose them

One thing I just thought of - when you cancel an account unless you port the numbers out you lose them

19 of 22 (680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 3:59:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes. Thanks for the reminder about porting. I would certainly want to do that before canceling of the ATT reception in my area was inadequate.

Yes. Thanks for the reminder about porting. I would certainly want to do that before canceling of the ATT reception in my area was inadequate.

20 of 22 (673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 7:43:54 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by LeiaKal on Jan 15, 2014 at 7:44:48 AM

Quick update: I heard back from customer care. They said that a check would not be sent for any amount remaining due to the bill credit if a customer cancels service.

I am still waiting to hear back from them regarding whether or not 1) I could purchase a phone on the Next 12 plan when I switch and then, if I need to cancel after the bill credit has been applied, have the bill credit used toward the payoff of the phone which will be mandated when I cancel; or 2) can I at least cancel one or more lines, while keeping some active, and still have the bill credit(s) for those lines apply to the wireless fees for the remaining lines.

Again, all of this is based on the fact that I will have an account in good standing for at least 3 months, the time at which the bill credit will be applied to the account.

Will keep you posted...

Quick update: I heard back from customer care. They said that a check would not be sent for any amount remaining due to the bill credit if a customer cancels service.

I am still waiting to hear back from them regarding whether or not 1) I could purchase a phone on the Next 12 plan when I switch and then, if I need to cancel after the bill credit has been applied, have the bill credit used toward the payoff of the phone which will be mandated when I cancel; or 2) can I at least cancel one or more lines, while keeping some active, and still have the bill credit(s) for those lines apply to the wireless fees for the remaining lines.

Again, all of this is based on the fact that I will have an account in good standing for at least 3 months, the time at which the bill credit will be applied to the account.

Will keep you posted...

[ Edited ]
21 of 22 (631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 6:01:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

I heard back from customer care regarding the other questions I had. They said that if I cancel the account after the bill credit has been applied, the bill credit will be used toward paying off any phone(s) that I acquired on the Next plan when I started the account. They also said that if I cancel a line(s) after three months but leave other lines active, the bill credit for the canceled lines will remain on the account and can be used toward monthly fees for the other lines.

I am ready to take the plunge and switch to ATT!

Thanks.

I heard back from customer care regarding the other questions I had. They said that if I cancel the account after the bill credit has been applied, the bill credit will be used toward paying off any phone(s) that I acquired on the Next plan when I started the account. They also said that if I cancel a line(s) after three months but leave other lines active, the bill credit for the canceled lines will remain on the account and can be used toward monthly fees for the other lines.

I am ready to take the plunge and switch to ATT!

Thanks.

22 of 22 (588 Views)