Switch from T-mobile; Bill credit?

Teacher

Switch from T-mobile; Bill credit?

Hello,

I have a 5 line family plan with T-mobile. I would like to switch to AT&T b/c ATT has better coverage in my area. The current $200 ETF bill credit being offered by AT&T may facilitate the change, but I have a question.

The documentation regarding the switch says that AT&T will apply the $200 as a bill credit after I have had my account paid for 45 days, and that it may take 3 months to post the credit to my account. If I cancel my AT&T account after that does the bill credit vanish, or will they send it to me as a check after I cancel my account? I am wondering about this because I am going to need funds to pay the $1000 in ETF that T mobile will charge me for canceling the 5 lines to move to AT&T.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 22 (905 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Switch from T-mobile; Bill credit?

Hello, LeiaKal!

Thanks for your post. I think I understand your question, but please correct me if I'm wrong. The $200 ETF bill credit is designed to appear on your bill either on or before your third bill. The idea is that this credit will help offset the other carrier's ETF.

If you cancel before then, you may not qualify for the credit. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 22 (883 Views)
Teacher

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I am wondering what happens if I cancel my AT&T account after the credit has posted to my account. Will I receive the remaining credit as a check from AT&T (after my final bill is paid, of course), or does the bill credit only apply to wireless fees, and thus it would essentially disappear if I cancel my account.

Thank again.

Message 3 of 22 (875 Views)
Teacher

I am still curious about whether the bill credit for switching from Tmobile to ATT will be refunded to me if I cancel my ATT account after 3 months, or will it simply disappear.

Another idea...would it be possible to use the bill credit which is posted to my account to buy a phone?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 22 (828 Views)
Expert

LeiaKal wrote:

I am still curious about whether the bill credit for switching from Tmobile to ATT will be refunded to me if I cancel my ATT account after 3 months, or will it simply disappear.

Another idea...would it be possible to use the bill credit which is posted to my account to buy a phone?

Thanks!

you realize that if you cancel after 3 months you will owe the etf on the phone.

smartphone - 325.00 - (10.00 * number of billing cycles completed) in this case 295.00 etf

Basic phone - 150.00 - (4.00 ( number of billing cycles completed) in this case 138.00 etf

From the way I read it it is a billing credit and not a use for anything credit

Message 5 of 22 (824 Views)
Teacher

Thanks for your follow up. I realize that I have not provided enough information. I am considering switching from T mobile to ATT, onto the ATT no contract plan. I will also be bringing my own phones. Thus, no fees to pay off any phones purchased from ATT.

So, if I cancel after three months would the billing credit be refunded to me? It sounds like you suspect not, but it would be nice to get a definitive answer.

Or, if the credit is not refunded to me, could I at least use it to purchase a phone from ATT once the credit is applied to my account after 3 months?

Best,

Leia

Message 6 of 22 (822 Views)
Expert

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST within 2 to 3 business days.

Message 7 of 22 (822 Views)
Teacher

I will follow your suggestion to contact them.

However, I would still be interested in receiving an update here if anyone has the answer to this question. I would be happy to move forward with this as early as today. Sounds like the direct message may take a few days to receive a reply.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 22 (818 Views)
ACE - Master

LeiaKal wrote:

I will follow your suggestion to contact them.

However, I would still be interested in receiving an update here if anyone has the answer to this question. I would be happy to move forward with this as early as today. Sounds like the direct message may take a few days to receive a reply.

Thanks!

I imagine this promotion for folks switching from t-mobile is too new for anyone to know for sure but once the credit is posted to your account, I would think it is there to stay. So if you were to cancel service, you would be refunded any credit against your account after accounting for any unpaid new charges.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 22 (808 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

I found the page that has the promo details, including how to get it.

http://www.att.com/att/switcherpromo/

But you're right, I don't see, one way or another whether it applies when you cancel.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 22 (801 Views)
Teacher

Thanks.

Yes, that was the page I've seen too. As you mentioned, it doesn't seem to say what happens to the applied bill credit if someone on a no contract plan cancels after the credit is applied to their acct.

I PM'ed customer service and will post any relevant information here in case other users are interested.

Message 11 of 22 (795 Views)
Employee

From personal experience, bill credits only apply to future bills, they do not get sent to you in the form of a check, if it's leftover . Although I can't say that for sure in this case, that is the most likely outcome.

In theory, you could cancel a previous payment, and pay the remainder of your unpaid bill (if the $200 doesnt completly cover it). I'm not sure if your bank would charge you extra to do that, or if there'd be additional repercussions, but certainly a thought.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 22 (778 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Hmmm. Interesting idea about canceling a previous payment.

However, I would be nervous about the trickle-down effects as you mentioned. I'll keep it in mind though.

Because I am transferring 5 lines, I will have $1000 tied up in 'bill credits'. That is a lot of money. And, that is how much I will owe T-mobile. That is why I am interested in whether or not I could recover some of the 'bill credit' money that is tied up by canceling my account.

Message 13 of 22 (778 Views)
Employee

Hi LeiaKal,

A bill credit would be applied to your account after or on your third bill cycle and is handled automatically by any numbers that were ported over from T-Mobile.

If you cancel service after the credit has been applied to your account in most cases and devices that may be on next, final bills, etc would be taken care prior to the final balance. Any remaining balance is then usually settled up in the form of a check.

However the language is this: "Switcher Bill Credit: Requires port-in of eligible T-Mobile wireless number. Must activate own phone, non-commitment phone, or phone on an AT&T Next℠ installment agreement with a qualifying plan (voice and data). Must maintain service and good standing status for 90 days to receive credit. Credit received within 3 bill cycles. Limit 5 credits. Visit att.com/switchfromtmo for full requirements. General Wireless Service Terms: Subject to Wireless Customer Agreement. Activation fee of $36/line may apply. Credit approval required. Geographic, usage, and other terms, conditions, and restrictions apply, and may result in service termination"

More about the T-Mobile Promo can be found Here

Employee Contributor*
Message 14 of 22 (763 Views)
Teacher

I really appreciate the replies from you folks.

If I am interpreting ther replies correctly, though, it sounds like the jury is still out. Logo412 suggests that any remaining credit (presumably even via the 'bill credit') may be returned in the form of a check. On the other hand, Loganic suggested that perhaps bill credits may only be applicable to the account fees, and thus would not be returned in the form of a check.

Even though it sounds like neither responder is fully certain about the disposition of the 'bill credits' upon closing of an account in good standing, I am still grateful that you have taken the time to send me your comments.

Message 15 of 22 (759 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.