Switch from T-mobile; Bill credit?

Teacher

Switch from T-mobile; Bill credit?

Hello,

I have a 5 line family plan with T-mobile. I would like to switch to AT&T b/c ATT has better coverage in my area. The current $200 ETF bill credit being offered by AT&T may facilitate the change, but I have a question.

The documentation regarding the switch says that AT&T will apply the $200 as a bill credit after I have had my account paid for 45 days, and that it may take 3 months to post the credit to my account. If I cancel my AT&T account after that does the bill credit vanish, or will they send it to me as a check after I cancel my account? I am wondering about this because I am going to need funds to pay the $1000 in ETF that T mobile will charge me for canceling the 5 lines to move to AT&T.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 22
Employee

Re: Switch from T-mobile; Bill credit?

Hi LeiaKal,

In my personal experience in most cases those credits would come back to you in the sense that it acts like you paid your bill.

I will say this however, since your account must be in good standing for 90 days, there is a possibility that if you receive the credits and the account goes past due, suspended for non-pay, etc, you may forfit your right to the credits. So if you close your account out, this may be seen as such.

The end all to this is make sure you stay with AT&T for the entire time and enjoy your service, you'll have quite a few months of free service if you bring over your own devices over and a much wider, faster and better network experience.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 16 of 22
Teacher

Ha! I like your optimism Logo412. I certainly hope to get two birds with one stone with this change: 1) get out of contract with Tmobile, and 2) get great service with ATT. But, it just so happens that ATT service is reported to be ok, but not great in my neighborhood from what I have heard from my neighbors. So, I am open to trying it for 3 months (the period required to get the bill credit for switch), but may need to drop it after that if it is inadequate.

Just for reference, Tmobile service is almost non-existent in the neighborhood I recently moved to but they won't waive the ETF because they say that their coverage map shows that my neighborhood is 4g. But my Tmobile experience is another story and not for this particular forum....

Message 17 of 22
ACE - Master

logo412 wrote:

Hi LeiaKal,

In my personal experience in most cases those credits would come back to you in the sense that it acts like you paid your bill.

I will say this however, since your account must be in good standing for 90 days, there is a possibility that if you receive the credits and the account goes past due, suspended for non-pay, etc, you may forfit your right to the credits. So if you close your account out, this may be seen as such.

The end all to this is make sure you stay with AT&T for the entire time and enjoy your service, you'll have quite a few months of free service if you bring over your own devices over and a much wider, faster and better network experience.

I could be wrong here but I don't think it is possible for an account to become past due and also have credits. Anytime a payment is due, it would be deducted from any available credit if no additional payment is made, wouldn't it? As long as the credit on the account is positive, no way the account should become "past due".

Now if the account becomes past due before that credit is applied, that might be a different story.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 22
Expert

One thing I just thought of - when you cancel an account unless you port the numbers out you lose them

Message 19 of 22
Teacher

Yes. Thanks for the reminder about porting. I would certainly want to do that before canceling of the ATT reception in my area was inadequate.

Message 20 of 22
Teacher

Quick update: I heard back from customer care. They said that a check would not be sent for any amount remaining due to the bill credit if a customer cancels service.

I am still waiting to hear back from them regarding whether or not 1) I could purchase a phone on the Next 12 plan when I switch and then, if I need to cancel after the bill credit has been applied, have the bill credit used toward the payoff of the phone which will be mandated when I cancel; or 2) can I at least cancel one or more lines, while keeping some active, and still have the bill credit(s) for those lines apply to the wireless fees for the remaining lines.

Again, all of this is based on the fact that I will have an account in good standing for at least 3 months, the time at which the bill credit will be applied to the account.

Will keep you posted...

Message 21 of 22
Highlighted
Teacher

I heard back from customer care regarding the other questions I had. They said that if I cancel the account after the bill credit has been applied, the bill credit will be used toward paying off any phone(s) that I acquired on the Next plan when I started the account. They also said that if I cancel a line(s) after three months but leave other lines active, the bill credit for the canceled lines will remain on the account and can be used toward monthly fees for the other lines.

I am ready to take the plunge and switch to ATT!

Thanks.

Message 22 of 22
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support