Swapping iPhones?

Mentor

Swapping iPhones?

Hubs and I will be swapping iPhones. We will both have the same size Sims so no
problem there. I also know to call AT&T to have the correct IMEI numbers
associated with the correct phone, so again, no problem there.
My question
is, when I do the "Erase All Content and Settings" on each phone, do I do this
while the sim cards are still in or do I take them out?
Then or course, after
the content is all erased I will swap out the sim cards to get them activated on
the right phone. I just can't remember if I leave the sim card in while doing
the erase or take them out beforehand?
THANKS!

Message 1 of 3
Scholar

Re: Swapping iPhones?

It doesn't matter if you erase the phone with a SIM card or not, because the phone will continue to function without a SIM card (except you can't make phone calls). If you do erase the phone with a SIM card in it, the SIM card is not affected by the procedure.

As for activating the phone, you need to have a SIM card in the phone to activate it.

Techically you don't need to update the IMEI with AT&T either.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: Swapping iPhones?

ranron wrote:

It doesn't matter if you erase the phone with a SIM card or not, because the phone will continue to function without a SIM card (except you can't make phone calls). If you do erase the phone with a SIM card in it, the SIM card is not affected by the procedure.

As for activating the phone, you need to have a SIM card in the phone to activate it.

Techically you don't need to update the IMEI with AT&T either.

Re-activation of the phone is the key. At the end of the erase process when the iphone reboots, it will try to re-activate itself as soon as you connect to wifi or if connected to itunes. If there is no sim in the phone, that re-activation with Apple will fail. Anytime I've done an erase, I've always left the sim card in and had no problem.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support