Swapping iPhones?

Mentor

Swapping iPhones?

Hubs and I will be swapping iPhones. We will both have the same size Sims so no
problem there. I also know to call AT&T to have the correct IMEI numbers
associated with the correct phone, so again, no problem there.
My question
is, when I do the "Erase All Content and Settings" on each phone, do I do this
while the sim cards are still in or do I take them out?
Then or course, after
the content is all erased I will swap out the sim cards to get them activated on
the right phone. I just can't remember if I leave the sim card in while doing
the erase or take them out beforehand?
THANKS!

Message 1 of 3 (1,049 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Swapping iPhones?

It doesn't matter if you erase the phone with a SIM card or not, because the phone will continue to function without a SIM card (except you can't make phone calls). If you do erase the phone with a SIM card in it, the SIM card is not affected by the procedure.

As for activating the phone, you need to have a SIM card in the phone to activate it.

Techically you don't need to update the IMEI with AT&T either.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]
Message 2 of 3 (832 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Swapping iPhones?

ranron wrote:

It doesn't matter if you erase the phone with a SIM card or not, because the phone will continue to function without a SIM card (except you can't make phone calls). If you do erase the phone with a SIM card in it, the SIM card is not affected by the procedure.

As for activating the phone, you need to have a SIM card in the phone to activate it.

Techically you don't need to update the IMEI with AT&T either.

Re-activation of the phone is the key. At the end of the erase process when the iphone reboots, it will try to re-activate itself as soon as you connect to wifi or if connected to itunes. If there is no sim in the phone, that re-activation with Apple will fail. Anytime I've done an erase, I've always left the sim card in and had no problem.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3 (792 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.