Still using cell data when on wifi. iPhone 4S

Highlighted
Tutor

Still using cell data when on wifi. iPhone 4S

Ever since I got my iPhone 4s it has been using cell data even while on wi-fi, not all the time though. I've read plenty of threads on this issue and none seem to work. Updated software to 6.1, no change, 6.1.1, no change, 6.1.2, no change. Have erased all content and settings, twice, no change. Started my phone from new and no change. Called Apple 3 times and nothing help. They sent me to the Apple store on Saturday and I got a brand new phone, started it out as a new phone, upgraded to 6.1.2 and no change. Last night I was on wi-fi and checked my cell data usage, it was at 333kb. I watched a Youtube video for about 25 minutes, then checked cell data and it went up to 1.8 mb! I double checked my wi-fi and it was connected. My wi-fi works fine. I was about 12 feet away from it. Always shows full bars. Everyone else at home was asleep, so no other wi-fi users. There are 5 laptops, 2 ipod touches, 1 Kindle in the house that use wi-fi with no issue. If I turn off my cell data, wi-fi still works fine and it does not use cell data. I don't want to have to turn off cell data everytime I walk into my house. Anyone have any other ideas? AT&T says to turn off cell data. Which that does work, but a pain to remember.
Message 1 of 13 (10,022 Views)
Professor

Re: Still using cell data when on wifi. iPhone 4S

1.8MB in a day is nothing, and is not from watching a 25 minute video. If cellular data is on, the phone will communicate with the cellular network periodically no matter what you do.

Message 2 of 13 (10,004 Views)
ACE - Master

Max69 wrote:

1.8MB in a day is nothing, and is not from watching a 25 minute video. If cellular data is on, the phone will communicate with the cellular network periodically no matter what you do.

Good point. I've seen estimates that youtube videos over cellular stream at anywhere from 1-2MB per minute, so a 25 minute video over cellular would use anywhere from 25-50 MB. OP, don't worry, you are not streaming over cellular.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 13 (9,974 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for the replies, yea I know 1.8 mg is not much, but for the last 2 days I have not been using the data on the phone. I racked up 333 kb recieved, okay no big deal, some pushes or whatever, I can live with that. But 1.5 meg in 25 minutes when I'm on wifi seems alot. I will do some more testing tonight and see how it goes. Although before I was racking up sometimes 75 meg of cell data while on wifi. Just frustrated because I'm not the only one with this issue.

Message 4 of 13 (9,964 Views)
Contributor

The same thing is happening to me.  Hourly my phones (we have 3 Iphones) are transmitting a receiving cell data when connected to our wifi.  One day into our new billing cycle and it totalled .5 gb  out of our 4gb shared plan.  I called Att and updated and restored shut off backups and made sure icloud isn't being used.  I have also been turning off my data and only putting it on when I need it.  This is a huge hassle.  I've had my 3GS for 4 years and previously had an unlimited plan I never used more than 200m on a heavy usage month.  This month my 3Gs did that in one day and I was home on wifi for most of that time with little usage. We moved to a shared data plan in December when my daughters got the 4S and all of sudden I am seeing these changes

Message 5 of 13 (9,956 Views)
Master

How are you measing your usage?  are you looking at the phones counters or are you looking online via ATT's site?

ATT's usage is agregated daily and can reflect usage from previous days that have not yet been reported.  At 1.8mb, it is too small to worry about in my mind.  Video usage is much higher.  

As others have said, iCloud does you data and may do so even when on wifi.  

If you not coming close to your data caps, I would not worry about it as you will spend more time changing settings than it is worth in my opinion.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 6 of 13 (9,904 Views)
Tutor

Spoiler

Thanks, after Apple replaced my iPhone, everything is working fine now. I don't use cell data anymore when on wifi. Before on my old phone, I sometimes use 75-100 meg in 1 night. I would look at my data usage on my online account with AT&T and it would show that amount when I was at home on wifi. Reading many other forums, I'm not the only one with this issue. But the new phone fixed it! Now I actually "like" my iPhone!

Message 7 of 13 (9,743 Views)
Tutor

Update on my usage with the new phone: Been paying close attention to my usage and the last 3 weeks, it's been good. Seems it was still using a little cell data while on wifi, but not much, until yesterday! 2 days ago, my bill showed about 70 meg of cell data used in about 7 days, it's a little more than I used before, but didn't think much of it. Then yesterday when I was home all day and on wifi, I watched some movie trailers and YouTube videos. Later in the afternoon, I jumped from 70 meg to 380 meg of cell data usage, while on wifi. I'm on the 300 meg plan! Called AT&T and let them know, they will credit my account. They suggested the usual, backing up the phone and reloading software to see if it takes care of it or taking the phone back to Apple and having them run diagnostics to see if I have issues again. What's weird is that AT&T shows my data usage at 380 meg, but in my phone usage the cell data is still at about 70 meg. Now if AT&T shows a spike, shouldn't my phone see the same spike? Will update after I see APple again! I never had this issue with my HTC Android phone or my Blackberry. Same wifi.  

Message 8 of 13 (9,590 Views)
Expert

RKG6690 wrote:

Update on my usage with the new phone: Been paying close attention to my usage and the last 3 weeks, it's been good. Seems it was still using a little cell data while on wifi, but not much, until yesterday! 2 days ago, my bill showed about 70 meg of cell data used in about 7 days, it's a little more than I used before, but didn't think much of it. Then yesterday when I was home all day and on wifi, I watched some movie trailers and YouTube videos. Later in the afternoon, I jumped from 70 meg to 380 meg of cell data usage, while on wifi. I'm on the 300 meg plan! Called AT&T and let them know, they will credit my account. They suggested the usual, backing up the phone and reloading software to see if it takes care of it or taking the phone back to Apple and having them run diagnostics to see if I have issues again. What's weird is that AT&T shows my data usage at 380 meg, but in my phone usage the cell data is still at about 70 meg. Now if AT&T shows a spike, shouldn't my phone see the same spike? Will update after I see APple again! I never had this issue with my HTC Android phone or my Blackberry. Same wifi.  

how are you paying attention to data usage - via the account manager? read the caveat on it, the information is not realtime and can be delayed for awhile. it is stated at teh bottom of the display page, if any of the data used was roaming it can take 5 to 6 weeks to be reported

Message 9 of 13 (9,576 Views)
Contributor

I just found out that if you are texting between iphones and your imessage is on then you are actually using data not texting, so turn off imessage. This could explain some of the small usages. My house bumps off our wifi off on occasion with throws us back on the 4G and uses data, so we turn celluar data off particularly at night, yet I still show a small amount of data usage, like 1.8 mg, which I know is nothing but I'm still perplexed as to how we are using any data when both phones have the celluar data off. Any ideas?

Message 10 of 13 (4,093 Views)
ACE - Master

A well known Apple design feature for the iPhone is that if it is not connected to external power, the phone will turn off the wifi radio (to conserver battery) when the iPhone enters into "sleep" (the screen turns off and the lock activates).  Many people "assume" that just because they are on wifi while the phone is "awake" that it will stay on wifi, but this is not how Apple has designed it.

Now, if you have the iPhone connected to external power, it is not supposed to turn the wifi off, but some people have reported that the iPhone 5 was first released, it would still turn the wifi off even if conencted to external power.  I believe that this has been corrected in one of the iOS updates.

If you believe that your iPhone is using cellular data when it should be using wifi, you should make an appointment at an Apple Genius Bar to have them take a look at your phone and see if you have a hardware problem with your wifi chipset.  You especially need to do this before your warranty/AppleCare expires.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 13 (4,075 Views)
ACE - Master

Jules55 wrote:

I just found out that if you are texting between iphones and your imessage is on then you are actually using data not texting, so turn off imessage. This could explain some of the small usages. My house bumps off our wifi off on occasion with throws us back on the 4G and uses data, so we turn celluar data off particularly at night, yet I still show a small amount of data usage, like 1.8 mg, which I know is nothing but I'm still perplexed as to how we are using any data when both phones have the celluar data off. Any ideas?

It is not possible for your phone to use cellular data if cellular data is turned off. However, the times you see in the usage reports are not real time and do not necessarily reflect the actual time data was downloaded. 

Message 12 of 13 (4,071 Views)
Scholar

FWIW--I have an iPhone 4 that functions in wifi-only mode (no cellular service tied to that phone); I have seen on multiple occasions where, upon my hitting the Home button to "wake up" the display, the Wifi icon is not showing in the status bar.  Once I unlock the screen and let it "wake up" for a brief moment, the Wifi icon (re)appears...and yes, the iPhone was connected to an external power source the entire time--that, or else the battery status was lying to me when it showed100% charged.  I don't think this issue was due to my home Wifi AP since if that were the case, then the iPhone should not have connected right back to it upon my waking it up...and no, it is not connecting to a different AP/SSID--I configured the phone so that it (automatically) connects to just the one home Wifi AP/SSID, plus I confirmed in Settings that it did connect to said SSID.

I have seen the above behavior on both my iPhone 4 and 5, running iOS 6 (back then) and 7 (now), when connected to two different-branded Wifi routers I was/am using (Linksys back then and Netgear currently)--I will say however that I've observed the issue occur after the phone(s) have sat idle overnight...which leads me to this theory--it almost acts as if the Wifi radio goes to sleep if it detects that there are no apps running in the background that need to pull/push data--e.g., I don't have email configured on my phones, and no apps have been/were backgrounded at the time I woke up the phone.

Message 13 of 13 (4,000 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.