Start new 2 year contract, swap phone numbers, end old one to upgrade phone?

Start new 2 year contract, swap phone numbers, end old one to upgrade phone?

Just want to run an idea by everyone.  I want to upgrade from my S3 to a S4...latest hardware etc etc.  However I'm only 13 months into my contract and don't qualify for an early upgrade.  If it matters, I am ATT Premier corporate something or other discount (26%).

So, can I:

Start a new 2 year contract with a S4 costing $50.

Swap the existing phone number from my S3 to my S4 and vice versa.

ETF the S3 contract - costs $200

Sell the S3 for $165

Basically it ends up costing me about $100 to upgrade to an S4 this way.  Should I call ATT customer service and see if they'll just give me an early upgrade so I don't have to use such a run-around method?

Message 1 of 10 (2,798 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Re: Start new 2 year contract, swap phone numbers, end old one to upgrade phone?

Honestly what I would do is buy the S4 at the no commitment price and sell the S3 after to offset the full retail price and make it somewhat comparable to the early upgrade pricing.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10 (2,758 Views)
Professor

Re: Start new 2 year contract, swap phone numbers, end old one to upgrade phone?

Contracts cannot be swapped between numbers. Moving the number from the S3 to the S4 is nothing more than a SIM swap, which has no effect on the contract.

You would have to terminate the new contract, costing you somewhere around $350, plus what you've already put into the phone. I think I'd go with Evandela's advice and pay full price for the phone, then try to recoup some of the cost by selling the old phone.

You can also see what AT&T will give you for the old phone on a trade.

Message 3 of 10 (2,749 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the replies guys (and girl?)

After speaking to a CSR, I think there may be a back door.  When I receive my S4, prior to activating it I'm going to pay $36 to change the phone number on my S3 to something random.  Then when I activate the S4, I'll request the number that previously belonged to my S3.  This hinges on that number becoming immediately available once released (which it is according to the CSR), and the ability to request a specific number (the CSR said this is also possible).

Or I'll just ETF the S3, the number becomes released, and then request that number during the S4's activation.

Worst case, it's a $36 contract number swap.  Best case it's a free contract number swap (if changing the number prior to activation is free).  Even with this fee, it still saves me around $450 over going the no-contract option.

Message 4 of 10 (2,717 Views)
ACE - Expert

Is the number an AT&T number? I would be very careful. Sometimes when a number is released, it is almost impossible for you to get it back. Even if it is done immediately. Would be best to port it to another phone line with another company (a pay as you go or to google voice, somewhere where it be ported back).
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10 (2,694 Views)
Community Manager

Hello AnonymousGuy1, welcome to the forum.

Very Important. If you change your number, the old number will not be available for 6 month. It's done that way so when someone get's a number that was used before they don't get previous user's calls/texts.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 10 (2,686 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

kdfederer wrote:
Is the number an AT&T number? I would be very careful. Sometimes when a number is released, it is almost impossible for you to get it back. Even if it is done immediately. Would be best to port it to another phone line with another company (a pay as you go or to google voice, somewhere where it be ported back).

never mind, see that  answered

Message 7 of 10 (2,681 Views)

[ Edited ]

"If you change your number, the old number will not be available for 6 monts"

Hmm this would throw a wrench into the plan, but I imagine this has to be something that can be overrode when the previous owner of the number is the same person requesting that number again (to apply to a different phone on a different contract)

Message 8 of 10 (2,666 Views)
Expert

AnonymousGuy1 wrote:

"If you change your number, the old number will not be available for 6 monts"

Hmm this would throw a wrench into the plan, but I imagine this has to be something that can be overrode when the previous owner of the number is the same person requesting that number again (to apply to a different phone on a different contract)

doubt, the rules are in place so the system cannot be worked

Message 9 of 10 (2,638 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks guys for all the replies.

I ended up porting my number to Google Voice from the S3 and it's now in the process of being ported back to the S4.  $20 isn't too bad.  I also sold the S3 for around $300 so the cost of upgrading was next to nothing.

I'm betting we're going to see the ETF fee go up, since really there's no barrier to doing it again when the S5 comes out.

Oh and when I ETF-ed I called customer service and also got the phone's unlock code a couple of hours later.

Message 10 of 10 (2,524 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.