Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Jul 21, 2012
6:21:46 AM
Smart Limits still allowing blocked numbers through
Hi, I have an iphone 4S and recently signed up for Smart Limits in an attempt to block a very harassing person from texting me. However, I am still receiving periodic angry messages from this person that I have not responded to their previous texts. It is obvious that the service has a mind of its own and is only blocking 'most' messages from blacklisted numbers. This is completely unacceptable to me and I'm sure many others.

It should also be said that the Smart Limits portal itself on the AT&T website is extremely flawed.. as it kept sending back Http errors as I repeatedly entered the number to block. I even resorted to removing and re-adding the feature to my acc't several times to see if that would make a difference but no.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this feature to work like its supposed to? This is something that really needs to be urgently addressed by AT&T, as it appears others are frustrated with this service as well
Hi, I have an iphone 4S and recently signed up for Smart Limits in an attempt to block a very harassing person from texting me. However, I am still receiving periodic angry messages from this person that I have not responded to their previous texts. It is obvious that the service has a mind of its own and is only blocking 'most' messages from blacklisted numbers. This is completely unacceptable to me and I'm sure many others.

It should also be said that the Smart Limits portal itself on the AT&T website is extremely flawed.. as it kept sending back Http errors as I repeatedly entered the number to block. I even resorted to removing and re-adding the feature to my acc't several times to see if that would make a difference but no.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this feature to work like its supposed to? This is something that really needs to be urgently addressed by AT&T, as it appears others are frustrated with this service as well

Smart Limits still allowing blocked numbers through

9 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2012 8:51:46 AM
(0)
Employee
Smart Limits does not block everything all in one place. Placing a number on the block list prevents calls and regular SMS. MMS will still cone through as well as IM. One such way to block those additional messages is by going into the feature and adding time of day restrictions and then adding the numbers that you do want to contact to the allowed number list. That's the only real way to block everything from that person with smart limits.
Smart Limits does not block everything all in one place. Placing a number on the block list prevents calls and regular SMS. MMS will still cone through as well as IM. One such way to block those additional messages is by going into the feature and adding time of day restrictions and then adding the numbers that you do want to contact to the allowed number list. That's the only real way to block everything from that person with smart limits.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Smart Limits still allowing blocked numbers through

2 of 10 (21,844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2012 8:52:57 AM
(0)
Employee
Also if you were having problems with the online just this morning, there is currently some work being done on the website which should be done after tomorrow. So that's why you were having issues with it.
Also if you were having problems with the online just this morning, there is currently some work being done on the website which should be done after tomorrow. So that's why you were having issues with it.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 10 (21,843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2013 3:08:24 PM
(0)
Contributor
I blocked a number using att smart limits but the number I blocked is sprint so they don't get a message saying they're blocked. Is there a way I can find out if this number is still trying to contact me?
I blocked a number using att smart limits but the number I blocked is sprint so they don't get a message saying they're blocked. Is there a way I can find out if this number is still trying to contact me?

4 of 10 (15,620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2013 10:38:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am currently going through the same problem.  I blocked an ex who has been hasseling me for 2 years...(have never replied).  I blocked his number 4 weeks ago, texts still came through.  I AT& T helped me make a change on my phone in order to block.  I was relieved, until I got another one.  I called AT& T and was told he found a way around the blocking.  So now I'm paying, but still getting texts.   The person I spoke with was however; very concerned and a concerned report on my account history.  So to say the least, no one is safe if there is a way around the blocking?   I'm new to this so;

Suggestions anyone...?

Thank you

I am currently going through the same problem.  I blocked an ex who has been hasseling me for 2 years...(have never replied).  I blocked his number 4 weeks ago, texts still came through.  I AT& T helped me make a change on my phone in order to block.  I was relieved, until I got another one.  I called AT& T and was told he found a way around the blocking.  So now I'm paying, but still getting texts.   The person I spoke with was however; very concerned and a concerned report on my account history.  So to say the least, no one is safe if there is a way around the blocking?   I'm new to this so;

Suggestions anyone...?

Thank you

5 of 10 (12,247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 9:27:09 AM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Aug 19, 2013 at 2:44:41 PM

Hi ig1111, what kind of phone are you using? Some phones use their own services for texting, like iMessage with iPhone or BlackBerry messenger... since they don't go through AT&T they won't be blocked.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hi ig1111, what kind of phone are you using? Some phones use their own services for texting, like iMessage with iPhone or BlackBerry messenger... since they don't go through AT&T they won't be blocked.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
6 of 10 (12,167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 9:40:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

Any update?

Any update?

I think there are giant mushrooms. That visit earth in intergalactic spaceships,spying on us.

7 of 10 (11,817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 9:44:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

My 11 YO son has an old Nokia phone with no frills.  He gets all kinds of wrong number calls and texts, and calls and texts his friends (we have now okayed the calls to friends) but this is very concerning.  The wrong number calls and texts (and previously the calls/texts to/from friends) SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED via the smart limits!!!!!!!!  Isn't that what it is for???  When I set up service on this phone and purchased the smart limits, I set it up so that ONLY his father and I were to be allowed as incoming and outgoing callers.  What the heck?  If that isn't what smart limits is for, then why bother?  I feel like I am just donating $5 a month to AT&T.  NO THANKS!

My 11 YO son has an old Nokia phone with no frills.  He gets all kinds of wrong number calls and texts, and calls and texts his friends (we have now okayed the calls to friends) but this is very concerning.  The wrong number calls and texts (and previously the calls/texts to/from friends) SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED via the smart limits!!!!!!!!  Isn't that what it is for???  When I set up service on this phone and purchased the smart limits, I set it up so that ONLY his father and I were to be allowed as incoming and outgoing callers.  What the heck?  If that isn't what smart limits is for, then why bother?  I feel like I am just donating $5 a month to AT&T.  NO THANKS!

8 of 10 (10,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2013 10:49:28 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello tokidoki,

There is definitely an option to only allow certain numbers to call to or be called from his phone, it's called "Allowed Numbers List", if you have it enabled but he's still getting calls from other numbers, please send us a private message by clicking here, please include your name, phone number and the best time you can be reached. One of our social media managers will contact you within 2-3 business days to help get everything setup properly.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Hello tokidoki,

There is definitely an option to only allow certain numbers to call to or be called from his phone, it's called "Allowed Numbers List", if you have it enabled but he's still getting calls from other numbers, please send us a private message by clicking here, please include your name, phone number and the best time you can be reached. One of our social media managers will contact you within 2-3 business days to help get everything setup properly.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 10 (10,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 8:48:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

If you block the number does it show up on their bill as received? Is pretty much what I'm understanding from reading the above is that there is no 100% to stop someone from being blocked fully?

If you block the number does it show up on their bill as received? Is pretty much what I'm understanding from reading the above is that there is no 100% to stop someone from being blocked fully?

10 of 10 (8,279 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments