Smart Limits? Overpriced and inadequate.

Contributor

Smart Limits? Overpriced and inadequate.

AT&T charges $5 for Samrt limits???!!!

I used to have this service for free from T-Mobile. Not only that, but they allowed me to actually limit the number of minutes my children could use in Talk Time. What a concept!

I can not believe that AT&T does not have the capability to allow this. It has to be just a cap on a number in a database somewhere. Knowing that, what can the reason be for not allowing a cap on talk time, unless it's just to make more money on overage fees???

If there is a credible answer for this, then I would like to know.

Both these points were not explained to me by the AT&T rep at the store. Had I known, I may well not have chosen AT&T.

Message 1 of 16 (9,596 Views)
Employee

Re: Smart Limits? Overpriced and inadequate.

Hi Phil, thanks for posting. Truthfully, we’ve designed Smart Limits for Wireless pretty carefully to help families set sensible boundaries for their child’s wireless phone usage.  

We know that nothing is more important than the safety and protection of your family, so we don’t offer a talk time limit because we believe there is a possibility…albeit a fairly remote one, that it COULD effect your family’s safety. For instance, if a family member dialed 9-1-1 and the call was disconnected, the local authorities would use a local phone number to try and reconnect the call. If your child had a talk time limit and they reached their limit, outgoing calls to emergency would always go through but an incoming call from the local authorities could not be received by your child’s handset. I know this might seem like an pretty unlikely situation…but its sure not one we’d like to see our customers face. This is the main reason we do not provide a talk time limit.

Luckily, we do offer many other features to help you manage talk time. For instance you can set time of day restrictions, block all outgoing calls (with the exception of 911) and set limits for the number of text and instant messages allowed per billing cycle.

Smart Limits for Wireless is competitively priced and while there is an additional charge for this service, it is designed to help control any surprises on your bill. You also might want to check the Tmobile site. it looks like they charge $4.99 for a similar service. If you are looking for a free tool, AT&T Wireless Parental Controls features purchase blocker capabilities and continues to be included at no charge with wireless service (although a small fee may apply for brief data usage if Parental Controls are set directly from the handset).

Thanks again for post…and I hope this helps!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 16 (9,454 Views)
Contributor

What is the free service you're talking about w/ AT&T?? All I want is to block 2 phone numbers from each of the phones on our plan (which is my husbands and my own phone). We do not have a child old enough at this point to use this call block service for them, but yet we have to pay $5/mth to block 2 #'s from our phones? Also - my husband is the primary person on our acct - so can i log on under my acct and select that both phones on our plan have the same #s blocked? Or does he have to do it himself on his acct? And is it $5 per line, because I don't see a link to add blocked numbers to his phone from my acct???

Message 3 of 16 (9,391 Views)
Master

Q. When I purchase AT&T Smart Limits for Wireless on my FamilyTalk plan, does it work for all of the mobile phones on my account?
A.
 No. You can only use AT&T Smart Limits for Wireless on the specific mobile phones that are subscribed to the service.

Message 4 of 16 (9,389 Views)
Contributor

I'm sorry, I have to take issue with the statement that this service is competitively priced.

It is neither competitive nor competitively price. If these were standalone apps that you could add to your plan, the ATT service and pricing would have zero customers in competition with, for example, T-Mobile's service.

Correct the T-Mobile service is also $5 per month BUT this is for all lines on your plan. For a typical 5-line family plan that is 500% difference in price - instead of $120 for the contract period, ATT is asking $600!?! Also, I'm convinced that any independent review would rate the T-Mobile app much higher on ease of use, features, etc.  - No manual tracking of time zones, DST; Not five separate sub-accounts to keep track of; less error prone user interface. I could go on.

ATT should be ashamed of having such an grossly overpriced, upsell trap in their portfolio of family oriented services. Truly disappointing service value/pricing ratio - and reply.

Message 5 of 16 (9,343 Views)
Mentor

I beg to differ.  I believe parents want to restirct calling during school hours and night time.  So in case of in emergency they kids would be at school with plenty of land lines or at home with other mobile devices like the parents with no restrictions. 

At this age everything is possible with technology.  AT&T is behind of times.

Message 6 of 16 (8,765 Views)
Contributor

You absolutely have to be kidding.....

My daughter was the victim of an online predator because ATT smart limits does not offer an even basic level of protection that a customer has the right to expect. It is a sham and nothing but a collection of smoke and mirrors to even call this a parental control. You cal block all the numbers you want, but the predator can go around it simply by borrowing a phone or calling from a payphone.

ATT should be ashamed of itself for even selling this product.
Message 7 of 16 (7,762 Views)
Mentor

RSaldivar wrote:

I beg to differ.  I believe parents want to restirct calling during school hours and night time.  So in case of in emergency they kids would be at school with plenty of land lines or at home with other mobile devices like the parents with no restrictions. 

At this age everything is possible with technology.  AT&T is behind of times.

actually, if you follow the news over the last few years, you'd agree that parents shouldn't restrict their phone usage at all during school hours, afterschool hours, overnights, etc. because emergencies will and do happen whenever, and the children found their cells to be their safety nets/lifesavers.

however, the two most useful features of the SL would be the blocking of data usage, and preventing overages, but those are financial concerns, not safety.

Message 8 of 16 (6,352 Views)
Mentor

Jan1117 wrote:

Correct the T-Mobile service is also $5 per month BUT this is for all lines on your plan. For a typical 5-line family plan that is 500% difference in price - instead of $120 for the contract period, ATT is asking $600!?! 

WOW, this is amazing...

Message 9 of 16 (6,348 Views)
Tutor

It doesn't help with overcharges. Doesn't work on smartphones, which makes no sense to me, since they are the ones who use data.  I thought I had a limit set but low and behold It didn't mean anything. It's worthless.

Message 10 of 16 (6,326 Views)
Contributor

Can you limit calls to only certain numbers?

Is there any way that instead of blocking specific numbers for all incoming and outgoing calls, can you block ALL calls EXCEPT from a list of numbers?

That's what I really need.

Message 11 of 16 (5,693 Views)
Tutor

Re: Can you limit calls to only certain numbers?

Yes, you can drop AT&T and switch to a voice over IP service which costs less overall and where you can block or accept any number of calls at NO CHARGE.
AT&T should definitely be ashamed of looking for every opportunity to charge their customers. Unbelievable.
Message 12 of 16 (5,473 Views)
Contributor

Re: Can you limit calls to only certain numbers?

Actually I meant for cell phones.  I already have VOIP which gives me everything I need for my land line.

Message 13 of 16 (5,438 Views)
Contributor

I have paid for this service for a number of months & have used it to be able to restrict my Daughters phone when she is grounded etc. I thought it was a good deal until now !!!

I contacted AT&T support to find out why my Daughters Phone Date usage had excedded her plan. I had turned it off I thought a week or more by setting the limit to 0mb. But found out she was still browsing etc. THey now tell me that this restriction doesnt work because she has a iPhone/Smart Phone. THIS IS TOTALLY BOGUS !!!!

BIG RIP OFF !!!!!

Message 14 of 16 (5,301 Views)
Anonymous

Ps. What the heck? I couldn't use PeacefulPear for my user name - could not use "ace" in my user name? Bizarre.

I'll agree. AT&T has terrible pricing on their plans and features. We will change providers eventually, once we figure out what service we will go through, etc.

ANYWAY, this is what I have done in lieu of the AT&T smart limit rip off.

I made one contact with several numbers under it that is named "Do not answer." I know it doesn't help with not receiving the calls but it at least reminds them to not answer the call. If kids are sending your child not so nice texts, take the phone and reply with a message such as, "This message has been reported to the local police department. Further messages that are deemed threatening or I appropriate will result in action taken by authorities." (Or something to that effect. Kids are sometimes easily scared.) And really, if they are scary or threatening messages, they could be reported to the police.

As far as kids not using their phones past a certain time, take their phone to bed with you or have your child leave their phone outside of their room in the evening.

The one big thing I wish I would have done differently when giving my daughter her iPhone was to put limits on it, such as turning it in at a certain time or making sure she knew it was a privilege.

I hope this helps. Sometimes an AT&T rep can give you a month or so of free Smart Limits or a credit to help with the cost. If your child is in danger, politely argue the fact that AT&T needs to assist in helping to protect your child wether it is compensated Smart Limits or the choice to change your child's number without their outrageous fee.
Message 15 of 16 (4,685 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.