Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 6, 2014
3:58:58 AM
View profile
Should children be able to bring cell phones to school
I'm a parent who wants to know if my child should bring their cell phones so I want to ask my trusted phone company
I'm a parent who wants to know if my child should bring their cell phones so I want to ask my trusted phone company

Should children be able to bring cell phones to school

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 8:10:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

What are the rules at your child's school?  Those, and your rules/guidance, should be more important in your decision making than what AT&T would have to say about it.

What are the rules at your child's school?  Those, and your rules/guidance, should be more important in your decision making than what AT&T would have to say about it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Should children be able to bring cell phones to school

2 of 6 (495 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 8:47:08 AM
(0)
Master

RebekahQ5 wrote:

Personally, I think it's alright for a "child" to have a limited cell "phone" for safety purposes, ie. dialing 911 or home and receiving calls from home. Of course, GPS tracking would be another must. During class it should be turned off (or muted). If they need to access the internet, they can do it at home where they can be supervised.

Other than that, I don't feel a "child" should have "smart phone" until that child can work for one (paper route, mowing lawns, babysitting, etc.).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

RebekahQ5 wrote:

Personally, I think it's alright for a "child" to have a limited cell "phone" for safety purposes, ie. dialing 911 or home and receiving calls from home. Of course, GPS tracking would be another must. During class it should be turned off (or muted). If they need to access the internet, they can do it at home where they can be supervised.

Other than that, I don't feel a "child" should have "smart phone" until that child can work for one (paper route, mowing lawns, babysitting, etc.).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

3 of 6 (490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 9:20:10 AM
(0)
Scholar

I agree with Computer Joe. A cell phone can bring peace of mind, knowing your child can call/text you if an emergency should arise. On the other hand, an expensive smartphone may not be necessary, and would also be expensive to replace if it gets lost or stolen.

AT&T has some wonderful features and apps that make it possible for you to be aware of your child's location and usage.

I agree with Computer Joe. A cell phone can bring peace of mind, knowing your child can call/text you if an emergency should arise. On the other hand, an expensive smartphone may not be necessary, and would also be expensive to replace if it gets lost or stolen.

AT&T has some wonderful features and apps that make it possible for you to be aware of your child's location and usage.

4 of 6 (486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2014 6:24:19 PM
(0)
Employee
If needed for transportation or safety, phone only active during non school hours, off or mute, in locker.
The school is intrusted with safety of all, if you feel the normal environment is not safe, then remove child to another school, home school or virtual school.

While no environment is 100% secure, everyday we make calculated decisions,...
Should I get out of bed, should I drive, which route, what to eat, where to eat...
We learn to weigh the options and based on past experience make an informed choice considering knowledge available at time of decisions.
Warnings of traffic jams, weather patterns may help to lesser the risk but does not guarantee safety.

Children need to develop trust in both themselves, and their abilities as well as those around them.
To shelter and protect your child while allowing independent development is the goal.

But that just my thoughts....
If needed for transportation or safety, phone only active during non school hours, off or mute, in locker.
The school is intrusted with safety of all, if you feel the normal environment is not safe, then remove child to another school, home school or virtual school.

While no environment is 100% secure, everyday we make calculated decisions,...
Should I get out of bed, should I drive, which route, what to eat, where to eat...
We learn to weigh the options and based on past experience make an informed choice considering knowledge available at time of decisions.
Warnings of traffic jams, weather patterns may help to lesser the risk but does not guarantee safety.

Children need to develop trust in both themselves, and their abilities as well as those around them.
To shelter and protect your child while allowing independent development is the goal.

But that just my thoughts....
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 6 (414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2014 8:51:23 PM
(0)
Master

In our district, the 5/6 and the 7/8 school tells the parents that if they need to make a call, come to the office no questions asked!  They do not want the phones in class. If they do need one, they need to stay in their lockers during the school day.    What I found is that around the spring of 7th grade the school actives, summer time activities, and being with friends and their families made the decision to get a basic phone a good one.  It gave us peace of mind that we could reach her and she could reach us.  

I would say as a Freshman, having a smartphone has become a necessity.  The schools, their sports teams and other actives rely upon email, facebook, twitter, and other means to communicate important information throughout the school day that may impact what is happening even after school.  She has had one class where her teacher tweeted clues to the upcoming exam and in other cases, they use their phones to access information when it is allowed to be used as part of an assignment.

I think you need to look at what your district does and your need to know you can reach your kids.  It definitely came earlier than we wanted but it has been very helpful.  We also stressed the importance of proper use and what to do and not do with today's technology.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

In our district, the 5/6 and the 7/8 school tells the parents that if they need to make a call, come to the office no questions asked!  They do not want the phones in class. If they do need one, they need to stay in their lockers during the school day.    What I found is that around the spring of 7th grade the school actives, summer time activities, and being with friends and their families made the decision to get a basic phone a good one.  It gave us peace of mind that we could reach her and she could reach us.  

I would say as a Freshman, having a smartphone has become a necessity.  The schools, their sports teams and other actives rely upon email, facebook, twitter, and other means to communicate important information throughout the school day that may impact what is happening even after school.  She has had one class where her teacher tweeted clues to the upcoming exam and in other cases, they use their phones to access information when it is allowed to be used as part of an assignment.

I think you need to look at what your district does and your need to know you can reach your kids.  It definitely came earlier than we wanted but it has been very helpful.  We also stressed the importance of proper use and what to do and not do with today's technology.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

6 of 6 (349 Views)