Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 11, 2013
11:50:39 PM
View profile
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Korean Version (SHV-E250K) Network Question

I'm moving back to the United States, and I'm planning on bringing my Note 2 with me. It's the Korean Version, Model# SHV-E250K.

GSM (900/1800/1900MHz)

WCDMA(1900/2100MHz)

LTE(900/1800MHz)

I've talked with the AT&T and the KT (Korean Provider) guys, and they've both told me that my phone should work in the US. From what I could dig up, AT&T operates on the 850MHz and 1900MHz frequencies. 

I have the SIM ready to go, so I'm just wondering what kind of speeds/service I should expect.

Will I be restricted to the 3G Network? Will I get HSPA+ Speeds on that 1900MHz frequency? Or, will LTE work (when I'm in an LTE market)? 

Thanks!

I'm moving back to the United States, and I'm planning on bringing my Note 2 with me. It's the Korean Version, Model# SHV-E250K.

GSM (900/1800/1900MHz)

WCDMA(1900/2100MHz)

LTE(900/1800MHz)

I've talked with the AT&T and the KT (Korean Provider) guys, and they've both told me that my phone should work in the US. From what I could dig up, AT&T operates on the 850MHz and 1900MHz frequencies. 

I have the SIM ready to go, so I'm just wondering what kind of speeds/service I should expect.

Will I be restricted to the 3G Network? Will I get HSPA+ Speeds on that 1900MHz frequency? Or, will LTE work (when I'm in an LTE market)? 

Thanks!

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Korean Version (SHV-E250K) Network Question

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 7:58:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

rabel10 wrote:

GSM (900/1800/1900MHz)

WCDMA(1900/2100MHz)

LTE(900/1800MHz)

Thanks!

You should expect very poor service if the specs are what you listed. AT&T uses both 850 & 1900MHz bands for GSM/3G and without 850MHz support your phone will be struggling (with possible exception of large metropolitan areas). LTE will not work at all.

rabel10 wrote:

GSM (900/1800/1900MHz)

WCDMA(1900/2100MHz)

LTE(900/1800MHz)

Thanks!

You should expect very poor service if the specs are what you listed. AT&T uses both 850 & 1900MHz bands for GSM/3G and without 850MHz support your phone will be struggling (with possible exception of large metropolitan areas). LTE will not work at all.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Korean Version (SHV-E250K) Network Question

2 of 4 (5,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 6:18:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

Ok, thank you! As a follow-up, do you have a reccomendation for a phone that supports a wide range of frequencies? I may be traveling again, so I'm looking for something to take with me.

Ok, thank you! As a follow-up, do you have a reccomendation for a phone that supports a wide range of frequencies? I may be traveling again, so I'm looking for something to take with me.

3 of 4 (5,077 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2013 6:25:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

There aren't any phones out that support LTE both in the US and Europe, so base the LTE bands on where you'll use the phone the most. For the US, the most "world-compatible" phone would be Sony Xperia ZL, model C6506 (Not C6502 or C6503). It has GSM/3G that'll work everywhere and US LTE, and is factory unlocked. The downside is non-replaceable battery and slow software updates.

The newly available Google Editions of the HTC One and Galaxy S4 are geared more towards US, with their 3G supporting only half of the European 3G frequencies. In my experience that usually results in better performance than supporting only half of the US frequencies though Smiley Happy

If you can live without the LTE, Nexus 4 is while dated a solid performer, worldwide GSM/3G on board.

Unfortunately all of the phones I mentioned save for the S4 have non-replaceable battery. All are factory unlocked.

There aren't any phones out that support LTE both in the US and Europe, so base the LTE bands on where you'll use the phone the most. For the US, the most "world-compatible" phone would be Sony Xperia ZL, model C6506 (Not C6502 or C6503). It has GSM/3G that'll work everywhere and US LTE, and is factory unlocked. The downside is non-replaceable battery and slow software updates.

The newly available Google Editions of the HTC One and Galaxy S4 are geared more towards US, with their 3G supporting only half of the European 3G frequencies. In my experience that usually results in better performance than supporting only half of the US frequencies though Smiley Happy

If you can live without the LTE, Nexus 4 is while dated a solid performer, worldwide GSM/3G on board.

Unfortunately all of the phones I mentioned save for the S4 have non-replaceable battery. All are factory unlocked.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (5,048 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments