Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 25, 2013
12:10:50 PM
Samsung Galaxy Express with "old" prepaid plan...

Hi - I've been using GoPhone for 2 years and I am a light cell phone user; basically, I purchase voice/text minutes as needed.

I was thinking of purchasing the Galaxy Express GoPhone but noticed that ATT is requiring customers to buy one of their new monthly prepaid plans (i.e. $25 a month for 250 minutes).  

Since I am an existing customer, do I need to switch to a monthly GoPhone plan or can I stick with buying voice/text minutes as needed?  I would be happy to purchase a data plan if that is required for the Galaxy Express.  

Thanks in advance.

Golden Leaf

Hi - I've been using GoPhone for 2 years and I am a light cell phone user; basically, I purchase voice/text minutes as needed.

I was thinking of purchasing the Galaxy Express GoPhone but noticed that ATT is requiring customers to buy one of their new monthly prepaid plans (i.e. $25 a month for 250 minutes).  

Since I am an existing customer, do I need to switch to a monthly GoPhone plan or can I stick with buying voice/text minutes as needed?  I would be happy to purchase a data plan if that is required for the Galaxy Express.  

Thanks in advance.

Golden Leaf

Samsung Galaxy Express with "old" prepaid plan...

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2013 2:23:27 PM
(0)
Professor

Golden Leaf wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Golden Leaf

Are you saying that the website restricts you to the choice of a monthly plan? Hmm... interesting. But I would think that you could stay with your existing plan. I am guessing that if you checked the box that says that you are an existing customer, they would not require you to activate a new SIM card that would gain you a new number, which is not what you want.

If you go to a store to buy a new phone, you can ask for an unactivated phone that is a prepaid phone. That's what I did at an authorized retailer like Radio Shack or Walmart.

Then you can just move the SIM card from your old phone to the new phone, as per the instruction that comes with every GoPhone.

Golden Leaf wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Golden Leaf

Are you saying that the website restricts you to the choice of a monthly plan? Hmm... interesting. But I would think that you could stay with your existing plan. I am guessing that if you checked the box that says that you are an existing customer, they would not require you to activate a new SIM card that would gain you a new number, which is not what you want.

If you go to a store to buy a new phone, you can ask for an unactivated phone that is a prepaid phone. That's what I did at an authorized retailer like Radio Shack or Walmart.

Then you can just move the SIM card from your old phone to the new phone, as per the instruction that comes with every GoPhone.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Express with "old" prepaid plan...

2 of 8 (1,850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2013 4:29:04 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Golden Leaf on Jun 25, 2013 at 4:33:02 PM

I went to the GoPhone section on the ATT website and the question about whether I was an existing customer never came up.  

As a test, I went through the first few steps of signing up for new service with the 10 cent a minute plan and it only gave me 6 phones to choose from, none of which were the Galaxy Express.  I also tried the $2 a day plan and it gave me the same 6 phones....

I went to the GoPhone section on the ATT website and the question about whether I was an existing customer never came up.  

As a test, I went through the first few steps of signing up for new service with the 10 cent a minute plan and it only gave me 6 phones to choose from, none of which were the Galaxy Express.  I also tried the $2 a day plan and it gave me the same 6 phones....

[ Edited ]
3 of 8 (1,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2013 7:21:23 PM
(0)
Professor

Golden Leaf wrote:

It looks like if you want $0.10/minute or $2/day plan, they don't want you to buy a smartphone except if you are an existing customer. Conversely, if you want a smartphone, they don't want you to subscribe to the $0.10/min or $2/day. Why this inflexibility I have no idea but I suspect that the reason is simply profit over customer satisfaction.

If you just go into a store and tell them that you want an unactivated Galaxy Express, I think that your chances are pretty good that they will sell one to you. Then when you get home, you can simply move the SIM card to the new phone, per the instruction that comes with any GoPhone. There's one thing to take note. If you had the old phone for less than 180 days, your SIM may be locked to the old phone. A quick call to Customer Service will resolve the SIM lock issue.

Golden Leaf wrote:

It looks like if you want $0.10/minute or $2/day plan, they don't want you to buy a smartphone except if you are an existing customer. Conversely, if you want a smartphone, they don't want you to subscribe to the $0.10/min or $2/day. Why this inflexibility I have no idea but I suspect that the reason is simply profit over customer satisfaction.

If you just go into a store and tell them that you want an unactivated Galaxy Express, I think that your chances are pretty good that they will sell one to you. Then when you get home, you can simply move the SIM card to the new phone, per the instruction that comes with any GoPhone. There's one thing to take note. If you had the old phone for less than 180 days, your SIM may be locked to the old phone. A quick call to Customer Service will resolve the SIM lock issue.

4 of 8 (1,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2013 1:27:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

ilikewireless wrote:

Hi Golden Leaf,

The information that ilikewireless stated above is your best bet. This is what I would recommend as opposed to being led in circles trying to purchase the phone off the website and selecting an entirely new plan when you already enjoy using your current $0.10 a minute plan. You are also not required to have a data package unless you want to use one. 

Good luck! 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

ilikewireless wrote:

Hi Golden Leaf,

The information that ilikewireless stated above is your best bet. This is what I would recommend as opposed to being led in circles trying to purchase the phone off the website and selecting an entirely new plan when you already enjoy using your current $0.10 a minute plan. You are also not required to have a data package unless you want to use one. 

Good luck! 

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 8 (1,715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 12:20:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks...I will give it a try!

Thanks...I will give it a try!

6 of 8 (1,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2013 12:28:30 PM
(0)
Mentor
Good luck!
Good luck!

7 of 8 (1,549 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 4:23:13 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by wdsnls on Jul 29, 2013 at 4:37:23 AM

Golden Leaf wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Golden Leaf

I use the same plan as you do. I also attempted to purchase this phone from AT&T without changing my plan and buying a data package. I went to Amazon.com and purchased the phone. They did not require a data package. Received the phone the next day and only had to transfer the SIM. The only problem was I had to call AT&T and have them transfer the information on my old Mini-SIM to the new Micro-SIM, which this phone uses. Everything went fine and there was never a mention of going to a monthly plan or buying a data package. The customer service representative was very helpful. Also, I have had the phone for one week and could not be more happier with it.

Golden Leaf wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Golden Leaf

I use the same plan as you do. I also attempted to purchase this phone from AT&T without changing my plan and buying a data package. I went to Amazon.com and purchased the phone. They did not require a data package. Received the phone the next day and only had to transfer the SIM. The only problem was I had to call AT&T and have them transfer the information on my old Mini-SIM to the new Micro-SIM, which this phone uses. Everything went fine and there was never a mention of going to a monthly plan or buying a data package. The customer service representative was very helpful. Also, I have had the phone for one week and could not be more happier with it.

[ Edited ]
8 of 8 (1,293 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments